The Newsroom

The Times’ Radio Station after “BBC News Stars”

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
BUT its a bit annoying that it isn't on normal FM radio or Freeview. I suspect lots of people that will be the type they want to go after to listen will only have these as an options. But the future is now![

Thing is that it would never be on FM, that's just the way analogue radio is. Their only option would be to replace Talk Sport on MW, but that's got an established proven audience.

It's only digital that has allowed these stations to exist. Odd though that there are so many national stations these days the launch of another isn't the big deal it once was. The days of Classic FM building a new transmitter network and transmitting birdsong all day to much excitement are long gone

Quote:
To add about Talk Radio, I have only listened a few times but it never took me in, and some of the people they have on there seem a bit off the the wall in an Alex Jones way. They are not as bad, but there is a similar sensationalism about some of them in the way they say things. And I am pretty right wing!

When it started it had quite a few quirky or original programmes, albeit some sounding very cheap - as well as Iain Lee there was Jon Holmes in the afternoons and Jake Yapp at weekends both doing a lot of comedy skits and fun items, and there was a discussion show about comedy in Saturday evenings.

All gradually axed for bland newstalk format.

The morning presenter I've only heard of because his 'fans' (or possibly bots) seem to comment on every thread in twitter that mentions LBC saying how good his show is and how big his audience has got (it isn't and they haven't)
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 29 June 2020 1:34pm - 2 times in total
RE
Revolution
One issue I had this morning were the beeps, Google hangout notifications and Outlook dings heard in the news bulletins. Thought they solved the problem but it resurfaced at 1pm.
House and uktvwatcher gave kudos
GH
Ghost
Quote:
To add about Talk Radio, I have only listened a few times but it never took me in, and some of the people they have on there seem a bit off the the wall in an Alex Jones way. They are not as bad, but there is a similar sensationalism about some of them in the way they say things. And I am pretty right wing!

When it started it had quite a few quirky or original programmes, albeit some sounding very cheap - as well as Iain Lee there was Jon Holmes in the afternoons and Jake Yapp at weekends both doing a lot of comedy skits and fun items, and there was a discussion show about comedy in Saturday evenings.

All gradually axed for bland newstalk format.

Hard to believe now that there was a time where one show would have Akinbola regularly phone in to share his ridiculous ideas with the world.
bilky asko and james-2001 gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Quite like what I have heard so far, nice to have a new speech station that doesn't have phone ins.

It will be interesting to see if other Times podcast make it onto Times Radio, something like Walking the Dog wouldn't seem too out of place and be a nice break from news and politics.
OV
Orry Verducci
The move to DAB+ with its limited audience is a soft kill.

Is DAB+ really that much of an issue? Lots of stations have changed over in the last year or so and it doesn't seem to have made that much or a stir. Also online/smart speakers will provide a lot of the listening.

I'm not convinced the penitration of DAB+ receivers is as low as folk imagine. I was surprised to recently discover my mother's Denon mini HiFi from 2010, has DAB+, it has no branding on it to suggest so.

DAB+ penetration today is quite high. DAB+ has been in use for over 10 years abroad, Australia rolled out a completely DAB+ network in 2009, so the majority of DAB radios sold in the last 10 years are compatible.

As soon as support was added to Digital 1 and the regulatory hurdles were dropped, Global quickly switched their national stations to DAB+, and it seems to have gone without any major complaints for them. I know there was some complaints when Radio X switched, but most of them were fixed by a full retune.

House posted:
And also a shame they haven’t got a system where the camera switches between guest and presenter in an interview, which LBC or Five Live manage (though I’m unsure if that’s manual or automatic). Radio is increasingly becoming a visual medium (hence the fancy studios), but a 2 or 3 minute clip where it’s locked on a single shot, with the interviewers’ voices heard offscreen, makes for less pleasant viewing.

In the BBC's case it's automatic, they've developed software which takes raw audio from each mic, and when it detects someone speaking it switches to the appropriate camera. Each studio has a 'remote' which allows it to be manually overridden.

I believe Global's is mostly manual, they have what is essentially a TV gallery which looks after the video coming out of each studio. Knowing Global technology it would not surprise me if they've also developed an automatic system to complement it.
JA
james-2001
Ghost posted:
Hard to believe now that there was a time where one show would have Akinbola regularly phone in to share his ridiculous ideas with the world.

At least it meant he wasn't sharing them here.
OM
Omnipresent
Interesting write-up by David Lloyd on the first morning and how the BBC might respond:

https://www.davidlloydradio.com/post/times-radio-day-one
BB
BBI45
Interesting write-up by David Lloyd on the first morning and how the BBC might respond:

https://www.davidlloydradio.com/post/times-radio-day-one

As usual, Mr Lloyd seems to have summed it up perfectly.
TI
tightrope78
Unexpected boost in ratings for Times Radio Malawi!

JO
Jon
Interesting that Phil Williams is doing his show from Manchester. Do News UK have an office up there or is he presenting from home I wonder?
JO
Jon
Also seems to be some talking in the background on the news bulletin just now. I assume it’s just being done from a desk in an office rather than a dedicated studio? I imagine that’s partially that’s to give a sense of coming from the larger Times operation.
BB
BBI45
Jon posted:
Interesting that Phil Williams is doing his show from Manchester. Do News UK have an office up there or is he presenting from home I wonder?

I'm inclined to say that he's presenting from home, given the audio quality. At least I hope he is.

Newer posts