TV Home Forum

Davina and Rylan to front Big Brother show for E4

"Best Shows" to air this year marking 20 years of BB (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Amber Avenger
JCB posted:
Strictly's 'It Takes Two' seems to be the last of those spin off shows standing and I can't help but think that's because it's the only one that stuck to it's original 'behind the scenes' premise and didn't make a self indulgent attempt at becoming an entertainment show in it's own right like 'More Talent' 'BBLB' 'Extra Camp' etc did.

Also The Apprentice - You're Fired is still going, despite many changes of hosts but the format is largely the same
AS
Ash101
More Talent was much the same for years though & seemed to be a casualty of ITV2 wanting to end all Spin Off shows... which is a shame.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I was never really that in to the early series of BB, but did enjoy watching BBLB if it was on - Dermot O'Leary had a lot of energy about him, and it felt like he could handle pretty much anything that a live show could throw at him.
MO
Mouseboy33
I think if Big Brother returns to the UK, a different version will be used. It will likely be the one used in Australia. Which has proven to be very successful for Channel 7. So much so that Ch7 just renewed it for another series. And its muuuuuuuch cheaper to produce.
BR
Brekkie
Although I think a UK audience would accept a more strategic/competition based format like in the US I don't think a pre-recorded version would get very far. Australia have a very different reality market to the UK.
JO
Jonwo
Reinventing a format isn't always a bad thing, Love Island and Masterchef were successfully revamped so perhaps Big Brother could get the same treatment.
FL
Flux
Jonwo posted:
Reinventing a format isn't always a bad thing, Love Island and Masterchef were successfully revamped so perhaps Big Brother could get the same treatment.

I think Big Brother in the UK though is at its core seen as a show which is "alive", in the sense that it's happening and developing right now. I agree the more strategic format could work here, but it won't work if it's pre-recorded months in advance. Teen Big Brother did that and it just didn't have the same vibe as watching a developing show.
MU
MrUdagawa
I can kind of understand Brian’s frustrations. I mean they referenced the Channel 5 series a few times and in all honesty, if the show is about the Channel 4 era only, why is Rylan even presenting the show (and at times it seems like it’s his show with Davina as his guest)? He had absolutely nothing to do with the Channel 4 era.

I agree. When I watched the show where they brought in Emma to chat about her time hosting, it did jar with me that they didn't mention Brian and I think what he says about being airbrushed is true. Regardless of his failing as a host, he did host it and helming such a huge show which was under a lot of scrutiny after moving to Channel 5 can't have been easy.

They could have had him join for a brief chat with the other hosts and focus on how amazing it was that he won the show twice then went on to host. We are talking a chat of just a few minutes within a long programme.
BR
Brekkie
He wasn't willing to even record a message, never mind join them for a chat.
FL
Flux
He wasn't willing to even record a message, never mind join them for a chat.

I think you’ve misread the situation... I understand it as him being annoyed and insulted at ONLY being asked to record a 10 second message - but had they invited him to chat (like they did Emma) that he might have been more up for it.
BR
Brekkie
From how bitter he still is about being axed 7 years ago I very much doubt he'd have been up for that.
FL
Flux
From how bitter he still is about being axed 7 years ago I very much doubt he'd have been up for that.

Probably not. But the way he’s framing it is that just a 10 second message was the offer he took offence to. I agree he probably wouldn’t have done a chat either had that been on the table at the start, but producers proved his expectations right by not even offering him that opportunity and I can see why that might dredge up old feelings.

It’s a shame as he was easily the biggest and most enduringly popular winner across the whole run, apart from maybe Craig.

Newer posts