Media Websites

TV Home - Automated recordings of BBC idents

IS
Inspector Sands
I hope the continuity around the coronavirus programming is being kept and stored somewhere.

I doubt TV will see something like this again.

Why would it need to be kept and stored? What's so special about it? An announcer saying "In a change to the advertised schedule Pointless will now be on BBC Two at 5:15. Here on One, we join a BBC News special" isn't particularly noteworthy in itself. That's been done many times before both for planned and unplanned events.

Or have I misunderstood?

No, the newsflashes themselves are not particularly noteworthy themselves (although when was the last time they were daily?)

I mainly meant around the new programming, like Health Check UK Live. Or the now rationed episodes of EastEnders.

Watching the continuity around events like Dianas death, 9/11, Queen Mother, 7/7 and the ripple effects afterwards gives us a sense into the mood of the nation at that time.

Everything is recorded. The BBC has a system called Redux that save the output of a lot of BBC channels onto server and is then accessible from a webpage. I think it had everything since 2006. A lot of bbc staff have access, as do some who aren't.

Of course that's a bit different to selecting important junctions and permanatly archiving them for posterity, but if needed they are there.

But as Neil says they're not really anything special, nothing the dramatic continuity surrounding the deaths of Diana or JFK
PE
Pete Founding member North Reporting Scotland
Everything is recorded. The BBC has a system called Redux that save the output of a lot of BBC channels onto server and is then accessible from a webpage. I think it had everything since 2006. A lot of bbc staff have access, as do some who aren't.

There's a website called Box of Broadcasts which is basically iPlayer for Further/Higher Education. It lets you "record" TV shows so you can cite them in your work. However all BBC content going back to 2007 is already there, which I suspect means its just sucking it from redux.

BoB has a nicer interface than Redux which, certainly until recently, was very rough and ready. Plus BoB lets you search using the subtitles which can be very helpful. It did miss the first few days of BBC Scotland though which was annoying. Which begs the question if its built off of redux why it can't be fixed retrospectively. Might email them.
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
IS
Inspector Sands
Redux also has subtitle searching, it's in a seperate and much more advanced and modern section called Snippets. It's used for clipping up parts of longer programmes, Redux itself only let's you download the whole thing.

Redux used to have a lot of archive material digitised from VHS viewing copies. That's now gone (well it's been delisted from search, it's still physically there). Internally there's an online archive search engine which integrates Redux content, so there's the best of both worlds, everything from 2006 and thousands of hours of archive too.

Completely different to what it was like even 15 years ago when you had to look up archive in a database and request a VHS copy in internal post
NG
noggin Founding member

Redux used to have a lot of archive material digitised from VHS viewing copies. That's now gone (well it's been delisted from search, it's still physically there). Internally there's an online archive search engine which integrates Redux content, so there's the best of both worlds, everything from 2006 and thousands of hours of archive too.

Archive on Redux, like some other useful content (*), is not available to most users - but is available to those with specific rights. It was removed from regular users a while ago.

(*) If you know, you know...
IS
Inspector Sands

Archive on Redux, like some other useful content (*), is not available to most users - but is available to those with specific rights. It was removed from regular users a while ago.

(*) If you know, you know...

Still available if you bookmarked what you found when you did have access too! Cool

It's also available if what you're looking for is about Shakespeare too for some reason
PE
Pete Founding member North Reporting Scotland
Redux also has subtitle searching, it's in a seperate and much more advanced and modern section called Snippets. It's used for clipping up parts of longer programmes, Redux itself only let's you download the whole thing.

Ah, must have had a fair upgrade since I last saw it, it was plastered in little things saying "new version coming soon" for a long time Smile

The archive search sounds amazing, although I bet the one single thing I've been trying to track down remains on betamax or something. I know it's in the old Granada archive that Getty now handle but the last time I checked they wanted £400 as an opening offer...
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!

35 days later

JO
Josh
Just a small thing but it seems Choir rehearsal was spelt wrong: https://tvhome.co.uk/idents/bbc-one/oneness/choir-rehersal
Fan of the media industry from the UK.

32 days later

TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
https://tvhome.co.uk/bbc-one/2020/06/28/2300

No ident shown between Match of the Day 2 and the FA Cup highlights, so I guess the footage of footballers playing confused the system with the Under 7's ident.
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
It's usually because the programme start flag has been picked up too late (probably more at my end at I'd like to think their automation system is more accurate!). Normally I can rewind it back a bit but for some reason it didn't create the manual timed recording.

There's been the curious case of the recent Louis Theroux repeats where he has prefaced the programmes with a lockdown intro. I guess they played those in as two separate events, rather than the documentary being edited beforehand with the new material tacked on. It's meant the flag has fired at the start of the documentary, rather than the ident.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
Asa posted:

It would be interesting to know why they (Ericsson?) can’t be as accurate as the Beeb/Red Bee. If it was just consistently wrong that would be enough!

They're both Red Bee, just different playout centres!
TE
Technologist London London
Asa posted:

ITV junctions are a bit of a pain as they’re rarely as accurate as the BBC.

It would be interesting to know why they (Ericsson?) can’t be as accurate as the Beeb/Red Bee. If it was just consistently wrong that would be enough!

As other have said both are RedBee white city /Salford and Chiswick / Leeds
But the BBC tightly specified and provided equipment to generate the triggers both for PDC when it was valid and for P/F in running status having the same start at interstitial event before programme, end at end of next interstitial and if the programme is cut on air signal it asap ....
Itv does not have those add on systems relying on what the playout system does,
Also BBC group and Red Bee tend not to have experts who understand linking /tweaking the schedule to give good results ... like they used to have ....
....and as itv and LWT never embraced PDC thus never had.
( remember PDC required c 30 sec clairvoyance )
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
Interesting, thanks both. That's prompted me to have a very quick check of yesterday's junctions from the moment the flag fires:

2pm - 8s to ident, 21s to sponsor, 36s to programme
3pm - 7s to ident, 20s to sponsor, 35s to programme
5pm - 3s to ident, 20s to sponsor, 35s to to programme
6pm - 15s to menu, 35s to ident (which in reality is probably the programme)
7pm - 7s to ident, 20s to sponsor, 35s to programme
8pm - 6s to ident, 21s to sponsor, 36s to programme
9pm - 6s to ident, 21s to sponsor, 36s to programme
10pm - 23s to ident, 35s programme
10.45pm - 19s to ident, 35s to programme
11.40pm - 13s to ident, 35s to programme
3am - 23s to ident, 36s to programme
3.50am - 21s to ident, 36s to programme

So there is logic there, it's -35secs from the programme. Just not quite a neat as the Beeb. That also explains why some of the idents are clipped if the ident + sponsor length is over that duration.

Newer posts