TV Home Forum

Emmerdale

Weekdays on ITV (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Sharon Marshall said the other week on This Morning that some scenes recorded just before lockdown are mixed with the scenes filmed after, so you will notice some differences.

Apparently from next week we've got 3 weeks of Corrie that will be the same.

Should be seeing the "Channel 3" era YTV endcap on ITV3 soon, if they decide to leave it in anyway. Granada Plus kept using the 1994 endcap on the episodes on that originally had it for some reason.
JE
Jez Founding member
Sharon Marshall said the other week on This Morning that some scenes recorded just before lockdown are mixed with the scenes filmed after, so you will notice some differences.

Apparently from next week we've got 3 weeks of Corrie that will be the same.
it just goes to show how much is filmed out of sequence with about a week and a half of episode that were unfinished.
JA
james-2001
I think it was even more the case in the lead up to lockdown, as I think they were basically scrambling to film as many scenes as they could before they had to shut down. Probably filming loads of scenes with which actors were in on a particular day. I imagine filming wouldn't be quite as piecemeal in normal times.
BR
Brekkie
Will be interesting to see how it all fits in timeline wise considering this weeks main story has been referenced as occuring during lockdown.

And as much as we know social distancing filming has to be the norm for the next few months at least from what we've seen so far it is pretty blatantly obvious in scenes. They may not look 2m apart but it is clearly not as natural as you'd want it to be. I think that is something we're just going to have to accept and understand.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The social distancing is quite obvious when you look out for it. In the cafe the characters are talking to each other from far ends of the cafe, there are no extras and there isn’t even anyone behind the counter!
BR
Brekkie
Have they mentioned it at all within the episode?
AN
Andrew Founding member
One scene in the Dingles, Mandy and Lydia were talking to each other from the far extremes of the house, a scene later on, they had a full house and they were crammed together in the kitchen!

There were a couple of vague references to ‘not being able to do much recently’ but that’s all, but then again Andrea only went missing a day or two ago in the plot, so the timelines are all over the place.
JE
Jez Founding member
I believe these episodes are meant to be set before lockdown hence picking up where they left off. I did wonder about the scene with Gabby and Leanna as they mentioned not much to do and only going out for a walk.

I think the first scene in the Dingles was filmed after lockdown, they all seemed far apart and Bradley's (Vinny) hair looked like it was in the lockdown episode, Perhaps that is why Lisa Riley had a towel over her hair in that scene. Karen Blick's (Lydia) hair is usually tied back on screen anyway. The later scene they did seem to be very close to each other and Vinny's hair looked a bit different.

The hotel scenes would have been filmed before lockdown as Milie was there and they were all very close together when the policeman was there in reception. Its possible the final scene in the carpark could have been done after lockdown as we did not see Millie and Andrea. Of course the old Emmerdale studios were used, before they moved to the main YTV building, for the hotel scenes which is now used for the 'Emmerdale Studio Experience', the reception desk and café at the studio experience were used as the hotel reception and restaurant respectively.

It was obvious I agree that some scenes were filmed after lockdown, especially the scenes with Moria and her new love interest in the shop and then the scene with Rhona and Nate (Nate had a hat on probably to hide a different hair style). I think the scene with Jamie and Belle was done after lockdown too as they looked far apart, Jamie appears to have a tan as well and hair looks a bit shorter.

Overall I thought it was very well done given the circumstances. Yes some things do seem a bit unusual but we do have to just accept it for now. The announcer also made a point about saying some scenes were filmed before social distancing.
Last edited by Jez on 29 June 2020 9:15pm
NE
News96
I think the Cafe Scene with Harriet and Laurel would also have been pre-lockdown as well (since Cafes have been shut except for takeaways in lockdown.)
JE
Jez Founding member
I think the Cafe Scene with Harriet and Laurel would also have been pre-lockdown as well (since Cafes have been shut except for takeaways in lockdown.)

But as the episode was meant to be set before lockdown its still possible the scene was filmed after they returned to filming. As its been said there were no extra's and they seemed very far apart.

The Dawn and Malone scene was definitely post lockdown, he made a point of going way past her before turning around and talking to her.
JA
james-2001
Certainly quite a few obvious examples of the camera filming zoomed in to make people look closer together than they really are. I imagine social distancing reducing to 1m at the end of the week will make it less obvious, though it will be weeks until we see that on screen.
NE
News96
Probably the middle/end of August depending on how much they manage to get in the can-and i'm guessing we'll be okay for Cafe/Woolpack scenes (again with no extras) by then too.
Last edited by News96 on 29 June 2020 10:38pm

Newer posts