TV Home Forum

BBC One Record Low Rating

840k at 9pm (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JT
jolly turnip
I see there is a new series of Celeb Masterchef starting this week. Looks like it will be slung all over the schedule as usual. With catch up and recorders I know it doesn't really matter if series link, but quite a lot of people still don't have (or in my mums case unable to use them), so building a loyalty to watch something regularly when there may be a series she is following on say ITV is weekly.

I know Masterchef is usefulness as you can, ahem, slice and dice it to fill half hour to hour and half programmes but actually at this time without the olympics, euros and Wimbledon here is a great opportunity to schedule it properly. Like Talking Heads as mentioned
BR
Brekkie
What I've never understood with Masterchef is since moving it to BBC1 they've continued to produce it as if it's airing stripped across the week in half hour shows. I think they did try one year to change it so it was produced as two hour-long shows a week, but then reverted back to that extra half hour final the next year.

It's the same with the Great British Menu too - basically five half hour editions with the first four airing as hour long episodes. And going back a couple of months but it made no sense at all scheduling that on BBC2 at the same time of year as Masterchef was airing on BBC1. Also they repeated them on Saturday afternoons throughout the series (which was when I caught it) but then for some reason didn't repeat the finals week.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’ve never understood the Masterchef scheduling, it’s always as if they commissioners and the schedulers aren’t on the same page, so it feels like it’s thrown around the schedule with no logic, like they’ve commissioned too much.

Also it feels like it’s on all the time, I know it isn’t, but there never seems to be too long before they are back promoting the next series.

I also don’t get the Talking Heads schedule, and why they are throwing episodes into any old slot, They even had to push back the Ten one night last week to accommodate them.
JO
Jonwo
I’ve never understood the Masterchef scheduling, it’s always as if they commissioners and the schedulers aren’t on the same page, so it feels like it’s thrown around the schedule with no logic, like they’ve commissioned too much.

Also it feels like it’s on all the time, I know it isn’t, but there never seems to be too long before they are back promoting the next series.

I also don’t get the Talking Heads schedule, and why they are throwing episodes into any old slot, They even had to push back the Ten one night last week to accommodate them.

Masterchef is scheduled better with the Professionals on BBC Two. BBC One treat Masterchef as a utility show, it will rate no matter where you put it.
CO
cobbles

I also don’t get the Talking Heads schedule, and why they are throwing episodes into any old slot, They even had to push back the Ten one night last week to accommodate them .

They're relatively cheap to make new drama content that they can use to fill gaps in the schedule rather put a repeat on. I suppose the News at 10 being 5-10 mins late and showing new drama is better for their overall content metrics (I guess all of these count towards 'original drama' hours as well despite being remakes
SA
SA100
I believe Odd reason for MasterChef and Great British Menu Episode structure is because it sells as finished tape as 30min EPs.
AN
Andrew Founding member

I also don’t get the Talking Heads schedule, and why they are throwing episodes into any old slot, They even had to push back the Ten one night last week to accommodate them .

They're relatively cheap to make new drama content that they can use to fill gaps in the schedule rather put a repeat on. I suppose the News at 10 being 5-10 mins late and showing new drama is better for their overall content metrics (I guess all of these count towards 'original drama' hours as well despite being remakes

It’s debateable if 7:30 opposite Corrie on Wednesday or 10:45 after the news really are gaps to fill though, both slots some episodes appear this week, as neither slot has first run BBC One dramas usually.
CO
cobbles

It’s debateable if 7:30 opposite Corrie on Wednesday or 10:45 after the news really are gaps to fill though, both slots some episodes appear this week, as neither slot has first run BBC One dramas usually.

My two points were that it's filling gaps in the schedule (10.45 would normally be imagine or footbal/sport programming? whereas 7.30 would be some current affairs/docutrash type show - neither which are being made) however will also be counting towards their drama hours on their metrics
BR
Brekkie
They're throwing content out though rather than scheduling it wisely - at the moment they need to be scheduling content as thinly as possible. Indeed in normal circumstances they'd have been very little new drama this month anyway due to the Euros.
FC
FrancesC

‘Tonight at Ten past Ten’ will be on this Tuesday again. Wink

Normal People only just past the 2m mark on BBC1 too, despite being the supposed breakout hit of Lockdown. As a PSB though much better to schedule these in primetime than another repeat of New Tricks or Mrs Browns Boys.

How are the Talking Heads episodes rating?

Jonwo posted:

Normal People was a hit, the consolidation and
4 Screen data was 4-5m.

They’ll suck up Make Me Famous’ poor ratings as it’s only a one-off.

Talking about Normal People, I noticed that some episodes were cut short as they’re packaged as a ‘60-minute version’. To avoid a further delay of the Ten? Actually the news had been delayed by 2 to 3 minutes for 2 consecutive Mondays in late April / early May.
AS
Asa Admin
Can't think of many occasions where a BBC One junction hasn't featured a single trail for the channel but that's what happened before Talking Heads tonight - two for BBC Three, a couple for iPlayer and one for Two. You'd only guess you were watching One with, well we all know what with.

It feels to me like a real ramp up of iPlayer and Three trails these days.
FC
FrancesC
Asa posted:
Can't think of many occasions where a BBC One junction hasn't featured a single trail for the channel but that's what happened before Talking Heads tonight - two for BBC Three, a couple for iPlayer and one for Two. You'd only guess you were watching One with, well we all know what with.

It feels to me like a real ramp up of iPlayer and Three trails these days.

2045 junction:
BBC Three - Canada’s Drag Race
BBC Three - Glow Up
BBC iPlayer - I May Destroy You
BBC Two - Mrs. America
BBC iPlayer - The Salisbury Poisonings

I May Destroy You is a current BBC One show so why can’t they air a BBC One branded version? I only saw once on 16 June, which was promoting Episode 2.

Newer posts