TV Home Forum

STV Main Thread:

STV appeal, and Autumn pres is now in use

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Long term I think Ofcom probably needs to review the channel 3 licences. In my opinion it should be simplified to just five licences for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Channel Islands. This would do away will the old breakfast licence, and the pretence that English regions exist beyond local news. There could then be requirements for a minimum amount of nation/regional programmes, and measures to protect local news coverage.

With regards to independence without descending into the politics too much I suspect this might have been a significant factor in the BBC launching BBC Scotland instead just a Scottish Six.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
AlfieMulcahy, BBCME and what gave kudos
KE
kez19 North Reporting Scotland
kez19 posted:

Yes, both Andrea and Norman are coming down to Glasgow. Before the Coronavirus outbreak, Aberdeen (STV North) had it's own 6pm bulletin with an Opt Out for viewers in Tayside as it has done now for several years.

The only minor differences between the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen studios is the 'J' desks.

The Aberdeen and Edinburgh studios aren't being used at the moment which is why STV News is going out across both regions from Glasgow.

I also guess they have dropped the pretentice crap "live from...." who cares?? (bedbug of a saying)

You are correct in regards to Aberdeen and split as thats my area (wish they drop that split for Dundee half the time its basically a pointless bulletin just axe it and put it back in the full bulletin!), ie my neighbours cat got pregant.... and???... it was bad enough a report few years ago for Dundee featured men playing in the mud... newsworthy it was! (not!)

J desks? Newsdesk? (correct me lol)

I think for STV News to produce 3 programs when they could have scrapped everything years ago when both channels became 'STV' says something for STV and local areas they broadcast to.

The desks in Edinburgh and Aberdeen are in the shape of a 'J'.

Also STV has been beating Reporting Scotland now in the ratings for a considerable period of time, they must be doing something right.

For me its why scrap the so called split for Glasgow/Edinburgh (now merged) but STV North has it still? There is no need in it at all (opinion here), I was pretty happy with the old setup but with the split at times timings we're off ie coming back from Dundee to Aberdeen (but of course don't mention any tech faults its swept under as per...)

I thought thats what you meant Smile

Regardless I use to watch both STV News/Reporting Scotland but at this time I can't be bothered with them.... I rather watch Look North instead! lol
UN
Universal_r Recently warned Central Reporting Scotland
Looks like the shows are gonna be spilt again soon someone asked Gordon chree on Twitter if they were coming back in July and he replied “they will be coming back in due course”
AM
AlfieMulcahy Meridian (South East) South East Today
Long term I think Ofcom probably needs to review the channel 3 licences. In my opinion it should be simplified to just five licences for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Channel Islands. This would do away will the old breakfast licence, and the pretence that English regions exist beyond local news. There could then be requirements for a minimum amount of nation/regional programmes, and measures to protect local news coverage.

With regards to independence without descending into the politics too much I suspect this might have been a significant factor in the BBC launching BBC Scotland instead just a Scottish Six.

Completely agree here. Although I wouldn't have channel as a separate franchise anymore. Id bundle then in with the West country and have them provide a local service. Because it probably won't be financially viable.
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
KE
Looks like the shows are gonna be spilt again soon someone asked Gordon chree on Twitter if they were coming back in July and he replied “they will be coming back in due course”

See this is what I don't get (I still think what they have done will become a reality), but to experiment this out but to then just say now we are reverting back to previous setup.... why? Just keep it as it is (if it works -- just keep it!). For us under STV North its going to become a shambles again ie split between Aberdeen/Dundee bulletins and the rushed approach just to connect back to Glasgow.... just kill off STV North and be done with it! (just to add you know the same presenters are simulcasting the same questions to a correspondent - I guess this is something this lot think we are stupid with!).
UN
Universal_r Recently warned Central Reporting Scotland
kez19 posted:

See this is what I don't get (I still think what they have done will become a reality), but to experiment this out but to then just say now we are reverting back to previous setup.... why? Just keep it as it is (if it works -- just keep it!). For us under STV North its going to become a shambles again ie split between Aberdeen/Dundee bulletins and the rushed approach just to connect back to Glasgow.... just kill off STV North and be done with it! (just to add you know the same presenters are simulcasting the same questions to a correspondent - I guess this is something this lot think we are stupid with!).

I think they have to keep it because of Ofcom licences do they not? And the central programme with the two presenters was quite popular with viewers so they might be trying to get that back soon as well.
KE
kez19 posted:

I think they have to keep it because of Ofcom licences do they not? And the central programme with the two presenters was quite popular with viewers so they might be trying to get that back soon as well.

I do think STV shoot themselves in the foot, I remember at the time when it was the last edition of "north tonight" (I said this over on DS) that changes being made, the viewer wouldn't notice any different, yet now you can... so who been telling porkies then? I even mentioned was the lack of communication/control for STV North since its been "centralised" from Glasgow anyway, as said above STV may as well just go full hog and get rid of STV North and have it come from Glasgow than mucking around and if its been possible oddly to ship the presenters of STV North to Glasgow then why not? I can still see it happening sooner than later that STV North will be gone its been the plan since they got rid of Grampian anyway plus all we have is news output but rest is Glasgow not much point left..

regarding OFCOM: I can't see why they can't just bend over backwards for STV since any "editoral conflicts" that have happened its only been a slapped wrist, OFCOM may as well just tell STV to take full control of all regions (I am only just stating ie North, Glasgow, Edinburgh(?))
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
This isn't Digital Spy though Kez.

I repeat my earlier post, for STV to provide a separate bulletin for viewers in North when they could have quite easily created 'one' STV in 2006 says something for them.

They could have easily went down the ITV Regional route and merged the regions and completely ruined it.

Aberdeen has its own newsroom and gallery and is not controlled by Glasgow when things were normal. The only thing that is shared is the live links that a normally the top story where both regions go to the same reporter.

STV uploaded a video when the Edinburgh bulletin was still on the go to show how all three programmes are produced. It was a full 30 minutes behind the scenes of how it all works.
KE
This isn't Digital Spy though Kez.

I repeat my earlier post, for STV to provide a separate bulletin for viewers in North when they could have quite easily created 'one' STV in 2006 says something for them.

They could have easily went down the ITV Regional route and merged the regions and completely ruined it.

Aberdeen has its own newsroom and gallery and is not controlled by Glasgow when things were normal. The only thing that is shared is the live links that a normally the top story where both regions go to the same reporter.

STV uploaded a video when the Edinburgh bulletin was still on the go to show how all three programmes are produced. It was a full 30 minutes behind the scenes of how it all works.

Well just to add to this whole thing shouldn't Glasgow be looking at the output in general from STV North than be kept in the dark? If things go wrong up in the area there is definately a lack of controlling, just seems if mistakes happen (there is no acknowledgement) and its completely forgotten (however under its previous incarnation you would expect an apology at least) but its rare we even get that.

I don't see why merging the regions would be a disaster, if you stay in Glasgow you get the STV News without much issue and at a guess you got mostly news for Glasgow and Edinburgh in the 30 min slot? Here for STV North we get the "split" for Dundee which isn't necessary as previously both Dundee/Aberdeen news was merged but its OK to still do that.

If this recent "trial" run was a success then why the need to revert back?, just opinion but to me this seems it can be done in the near future....
SI
Siggy Anglia (East) Look East
Living in Scotland myself and having STV news as my local programme I’d say the hybrid Glasgow/Edinburgh 6pm bulletin works pretty well and is proving to be more and more popular.

Before the change the previous local editions were almost too local; just not enough going on to fill a half hour slot.

IMO Reporting Scotland covers just too wide an area and feels out of touch when watching. Personally I’ve never even watched the BBC Scotland channel and find it the biggest waste of money ever.
Universal_r and deryn gave kudos
DE
deryn Central Reporting Scotland
Siggy posted:
Living in Scotland myself and having STV news as my local programme I’d say the hybrid Glasgow/Edinburgh 6pm bulletin works pretty well and is proving to be more and more popular.

Before the change the previous local editions were almost too local; just not enough going on to fill a half hour slot.

IMO Reporting Scotland covers just too wide an area and feels out of touch when watching. Personally I’ve never even watched the BBC Scotland channel and find it the biggest waste of money ever.

same here
GE
thegeek Founding member London London

Newer posts