TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Capybara
And, going back to the original post, in America the terms spastic/spaz don't have the same negative/discriminatory connotations as they do here.

Yes, I recall a Mario game that I think had to be edited here because a wizard(?) used a spell to "turn this train spastic".
DJ
DJ Jimmy
And, going back to the original post, in America the terms spastic/spaz don't have the same negative/discriminatory connotations as they do here.

Yes, I recall a Mario game that I think had to be edited here because a wizard(?) used a spell to "turn this train spastic".

Yep. Mario Party 8 for the Nintendo Wii.

In terms of TV, there was one episode of Johnny Bravo where a line was partially replaced for UK audiences. The original line, in which Johnny broke a kid's skateboard said "man, you're a spaz" and this was changed to "man, you're stupid".

Anyway, back to the topic regarding Challenge, I saw an episode of Bullseye the other night when Jim made a Nazi based joke at the expense of George Handel to a slight ripple of embarrassed laughter from the audience. Surprised it was left in really.
GH
Ghost
Anyway, back to the topic regarding Challenge, I saw an episode of Bullseye the other night when Jim made a Nazi based joke at the expense of George Handel to a slight ripple of embarrassed laughter from the audience. Surprised it was left in really.

They do make some surprising choices with what they leave in. They’ve left in the bits with the Jimmy Savile impersonator on the 1991 Bullseye Christmas Special (it’s on YouTube with the previous DOG and those bits), and there’s a Family Fortunes episode where they’ve left in a bit where they sing a Rolf Harris song.
XI
Xilla

Yep. Mario Party 8 for the Nintendo Wii.

In terms of TV, there was one episode of Johnny Bravo where a line was partially replaced for UK audiences. The original line, in which Johnny broke a kid's skateboard said "man, you're a spaz" and this was changed to "man, you're stupid".

I remember an episode where a kid referred to a security guy as "Captain Spaz". It went out uncensored on Cartoon Network for a while before it got changed. Same with an episode where a character made what could have been taken as a middle finger gesture!

There's an early episode of Gamesmaster where the guy commenting on a challenge alongside Dominik refers to enemies in a Sonic game as "little spazzers".
VM
VMPhil
There is a season 1 episode of Friends where Rachel says 'laundry spaz' which is shown uncensored on Comedy Central.
BR
Brekkie
I wonder how often Challenge would actually go through programming to check compliance. You'd expect with these sort of things they go through them upon acquiring them but then I can't see them being regularly reviewed at all. Perhaps events of recent weeks may cause them to think about taking another look, although in reality it might be just worth letting the viewers do that for them and just take them out of the running after they'd aired.
SW
Steve Williams
On another forum someone who used to do the graphics on Big Break posted, and mentioned an episode where Jim mentioned the hostage Jackie Mann and expressed his hope he'd soon be released. They were filmed ages in advance and by the time it was scheduled, he'd already been released. The graphics person was reading the Radio Times on the day of broadcast, worked out from the snooker players billed it was that episode, and phoned up the producer and reminded him it was in there. He'd completely forgotten about it, and had to go into TV Centre that day to edit it out.
UK
UKnews
There is a season 1 episode of Friends where Rachel says 'laundry spaz' which is shown uncensored on Comedy Central.

A couple of years ago during the World Athletics Championships the team were interviewing a US athlete who was asked about the mascot, which had been amusing lots of people with various stunts. The athlete said something along the lines of "It's great, really spastic". I think the athlete was surprised when Gabby Logan and the panel recoiled when the word was used. There was a VT following the interview after which a serious looking Gabby Logan explained that the word meant something quite different in the US, that they'd explained this to the athlete and that what they'd meant was that the mascot was overexcitable, had lots of energy and so on.
bilky asko and VMPhil gave kudos
JA
james-2001
It's used in a few episodes of The Simpsons too, don't think it's ever been edited out either.
GH
Ghost
Believe it or not, the 11pm Bullseye slot that’s been around for ages is being dropped from the 6th July (at least on weekdays), being replaced by One Hundred and Eighty (a Sky One darts show from a few years back), so there’s still some darts action on at that time. First time I think there’s been a change to the weekday late night slot for several years.

Also, during Blankety Blank today I saw a Chase promo saying that it was on from 8pm tonight, even though it started at 7pm.
Last edited by Ghost on 27 June 2020 10:20pm - 2 times in total
NW
nwtv2003
The Sky EPG is suggesting that Bullseye is remaining at 23:00 for this week, it’s also saying that it’s on at 18:00 also this week.

To be honest as pathetic as it sounds I stopped watching Bullseye on Challenge when they moved it from Sunday evenings when it had been there for years.
GH
Ghost
The Sky EPG is suggesting that Bullseye is remaining at 23:00 for this week, it’s also saying that it’s on at 18:00 also this week.

Forgot to say that this was from the week after (6th July). I’ll edit the original post.
Last edited by Ghost on 27 June 2020 11:35pm

Newer posts