The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
I remember them showing a clip of it the following Monday on EMT, but other than that never seen it.

Always remember the 2010 strike because one of them fell on my 18th birthday. I'd just been bought my first pint and I remember the Six coming on, and some bloke pointing at the screen saying "Who's that?"

Yeah, it was Chris Rogers who done the Six & Ten. Probably the closest he’d ever get to doing national gigs.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Have you both (Rolling News and mccanmat) developed your own rota for doing these updates? I just realized that you’ve switched anchor positions again. Was too engrossed in the content to notice who was posting. Sorry. 😳

Carry on regardless. Fascinating thread.

Speaking of strikes, I also recall Nicholas Witchell, Peter Dobbie covering strike days.

Nicholas famously quoted at the time as saying he “didn’t believe that the BBC News (in its role as PSB to the UK and commonwealth) should ever be denied to its audience who depended on it”.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I remember them showing a clip of it the following Monday on EMT, but other than that never seen it.

Always remember the 2010 strike because one of them fell on my 18th birthday. I'd just been bought my first pint and I remember the Six coming on, and some bloke pointing at the screen saying "Who's that?"

Yeah, it was Chris Rogers who done the Six & Ten. Probably the closest he’d ever get to doing national gigs.

Although he probably got a bigger audience for Newsround in the 90s (when most people only had four channels) than the Six and Ten do these days
AN
Andrew Founding member

Most unusual one we had was when the regions were effected, and someone from management who has never been seen on screen before or after hosted
RD
RDJ

Most unusual one we had was when the regions were effected, and someone from management who has never been seen on screen before or after hosted

Brief clip of Chris presenting the 10. And a right balls up by North West Tonight with the Head of News as acting Newsreader.
MC
mccanmat
Have you both (Rolling News and mccanmat) developed your own rota for doing these updates? I just realized that you’ve switched anchor positions again. Was too engrossed in the content to notice who was posting. Sorry. 😳

Yes Rolling News is doing the 2010’s... Last few weeks I was like the 80s version of Witchell (The harbinger of doom with every report and bulletin possible) and this week I’m being the 2010s Chris Rogers hanging out in the wings Smile
I’ve actually started some prep work for other lists... already gathered some data from late 60s and the 1970s....
Rolling News and itsrobert gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
Have you both (Rolling News and mccanmat) developed your own rota for doing these updates? I just realized that you’ve switched anchor positions again. Was too engrossed in the content to notice who was posting. Sorry. 😳.

Yes we're sharing out decades between us and negotiating who should do which. Bit like a modern day Sissons and Buerk who decided who should present the Nine between them.
cmthwtv and itsrobert gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Have you both (Rolling News and mccanmat) developed your own rota for doing these updates? I just realized that you’ve switched anchor positions again. Was too engrossed in the content to notice who was posting. Sorry. 😳.

Yes we're sharing out decades between us and negotiating who should do which. Bit like a modern day Sissons and Buerk who decided who should present the Nine between them.

I'll be Moira.
cmthwtv, itsrobert and Rolling News gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member

Wow, is that some kind of TV Pres pub with punters who know about news presenter rotas? Maybe we should organise a TV Forum charabanc to it once coronavirus is over? Very Happy
CM
cmthwtv

Be careful, you may be dumped on the News Channel soon!
Rolling News and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JL
JamesLaverty1925

Wow, is that some kind of TV Pres pub with punters who know about news presenter rotas? Maybe we should organise a TV Forum charabanc to it once coronavirus is over? Very Happy

Ha that would be awesome! Sadly not, think someone was just expecting Fiona/Sian/whoever was Friday presenter at that point and didn't recofgnise Chris
RN
Rolling News
Breakfast 2012:

(1) Charlie Stayt - 156 programmes
(2) Bill Turnbull - 139 programmes
(3) Susanna Reid - 126 programmes
(4) Louise Minchin - 122 programmes
(5) Naga Munchetty - 46 programmes
(6) Sian Williams - 42 programmes
(7) Jon Kay - 24 programmes
(8 ) Roger Johnson - 20 programmes
(9) Sally Nugent - 13 programmes
(10) Chris Hollins - 8 programmes*
(-) Hazel Irvine - 8 programmes*
(11) Simon McCoy - 6 programmes
(-) Nicholas Owen - 6 programmes
(12) Adam Parsons - 4 programmes
(13) Tim Muffett - 3 programmes
(14) Jenny Hill - 2 programmes
(-) Sian Lloyd - 2 programmes
(-) Steph McGovern - 2 programmes
(15) Fiona Armstrong - 1 programme

*Chris Hollins & Hazel Irvine presented the programme during London 2012 Olympics. Chris with Sian Williams and Hazel with Bill Turnbull

Newer posts