The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
Looks like we're back to the News Hour with Mark Austin from 5pm-7pm tomorrow due to the cancellation of the Downing Street briefings. Sky News Today until 5pm.

Why is it called 'News Hour'?
Surely every hour on that channel is a news hour??
Also, this 'News Hour' is for 2 hours...? (!)

Originally it was just the 5pm hour, and then expanded. Why? I’ve no idea... it’s not a great name to start with!

Doesn’t Al Jaz do the same thing?
CW
CraigWills
First time we've seen a standing up wall sequence in News at Ten for a while?

Noticed this during the midnight hour with Kimberley on Wednesday early hours. Certainly was notably a different presentation style compared to the white/blue background used throughout on overnights.
BA
bilky asko
Looks like we're back to the News Hour with Mark Austin from 5pm-7pm tomorrow due to the cancellation of the Downing Street briefings. Sky News Today until 5pm.

Originally it was just the 5pm hour, and then expanded. Why? I’ve no idea... it’s not a great name to start with!

A standard Al Jazeera edition is 30 minutes, Newshour is always in hour slots.
BBI45, BFGArmy and valley gave kudos
BF
BFGArmy

From the same school of odd names for news programmes you have CNN Tonight and Hala Gorani Tonight aired daily on CNNI. CNN Tonight you can excuse as it’s a Domestic programme aired at night there and simulcasted on CNNI (same with the Early Start & New Day shows CNNI also simulcast). Hala’s show less so - it’s an international show aired in places where it very much isn’t tonight when the show airs.

The 6pm hour also seemed slightly unloved at Sky - 5pm would get the fancy branding like ‘Live at Five’ or ‘The Newsroom’ and then the 6pm hour with exactly the same presenter would just get normal Sky News branding.So I don’t mind 6pm now being branded the same as the 5pm hour.
IS
Inspector Sands

It does but in their case it is to distinguish it from the rest of the schedule which are half hour bulletins followed by half hour programmes.

Originally the Newshours were also different because they were presented from more than one location
SK
skyviewer
The presenter shot in the glass box is so extremely tinted with an orange and yellow tone today... I turned the whole settings of my tv screen to cool and added blue and it's still there. Utterly annoying

EDIT: Seems to be fine again now as Colin is presenting.
Last edited by skyviewer on 25 June 2020 2:20pm
VA
valley
The presenter shot in the glass box is so extremely tinted with an orange and yellow tone today... I turned the whole settings of my tv screen to cool and added blue and it's still there. Utterly annoying

EDIT: Seems to be fine again now as Colin is presenting.

The cameras would've been lined up during Ian King Live, hence why it looks better now.
Last edited by valley on 25 June 2020 3:22pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
Just saw Jacquie Beltrao’s latest video. F***ing cancer! Sending best wishes and prayers.
VA
valley
Emma Paton doing a sport bulletin on Sky News at the moment - I think today is the first time we're seeing them but I've not been paying forensic attention...
JW
JamesWorldNews
Paxman Klaxon! Paxman Klaxon!

Coming up later today with Mark Austin. Discussing rubbish, apparently.
VA
valley
Not sure if it’s been posted here yet, but Sky News have won some awards for the Brexit Election.

VA
valley
Deborah Haynes has just been Robert Kelly-d when her child walked in during a live from her home!

Newer posts