International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Kabel 1, Germany, 1999:

VI
Viakenny
7:45 - that’s a nice shot out of the window but it didn’t look like anything I recognised. What studio is that? They do have the one in the foyer (assuming that’s the big Canadian Broadcast Centre they were in then)

That's the CBC Vancouver studio (Canada Now was a program with a national segment, broadcast from Vancouver, and a local segment).
elmarko and WW Update gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
Its interesting to see the CBC trying to respond to the popularity of Toronto's CityNews in the 80's-90s. You can see the veneer of a big corporate group-think sessions in the graphics, music and presentation. Its also interesting to see a CityTv original Dwight Drummond now fronting CBC Toronto after Rogers screwed up CityTv and had to let loads of veterans go.
JosiahStuart and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
Nova BH in Bosnia-Herzegovina has rebranded its newscasts, which now carry the name Newsmax Adria. This comes as a result of an agreement between Nova BH's owner, the United Group, and Newsmax, a right-wing American news site. A dedicated Newsmax Adria news channel for Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina is also in the works.

WW
WW Update
LCI, France, 11 p.m. TOTH, 2020 (with some microphone issues at the beginning):

WW
WW Update
Behind the scenes at CNN and Headline News during the Gulf War (an hour and a half of mostly unedited video):

WH
whoiam989
Nova BH in Bosnia-Herzegovina has rebranded its newscasts, which now carry the name Newsmax Adria. This comes as a result of an agreement between Nova BH's owner, the United Group, and Newsmax, a right-wing American news site. A dedicated Newsmax Adria news channel for Croatia, Serbia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina is also in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd19vbRooWA

Gosh, what have they done!

Anyway, have there been any reported backlash across Adria?
GL
globaltraffic24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd19vbRooWA

Gosh, what have they done!

Anyway, have there been any reported backlash across Adria?

It can only spell trouble for the region. I’ve read an interview with Newsmax CEO who said the US has huge respect for the region and he then touched on its Christian values. Given the Balkans has a diverse mix of Muslim, Orthodox and Catholic followers (as well as a huge proportion of atheists) it sets the foundations for rather divisive television. Of course, much of Newsmax’s reportage has been about promoting Trump - even more than Fox. It might find it all becomes a bit toothless after the next US elections and begins to slip away. As a member of the public, I’d be worried about its agenda. As a financial investor, I’d be concerned about its long term viability in the region.
elmarko, whoiam989 and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
I wonder why a fairly middle-of-the-road company such as the United Group -- which happens to enjoy a de facto pay-TV monopoly in some of these countries -- is teaming up with Newsmax in the first place. Newsmax isn't exactly a household brand in Europe, and to those that do know it, it just carries political baggage. Unlike even Fox News, it carries absolutely no newsgathering cachet.

I also wonder what the dedicated Newsmax Adria channel will look like. The United Group currently operates N1, a "CNN affiliate" with separate feeds for Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia. Will Newmax Adria's operations be integrated with N1? If so, will this be acceptable to CNN?
uktvwatcher, chinamug and whoiam989 gave kudos
CH
chinamug
I wonder why a fairly middle-of-the-road company such as the United Group -- which happens to enjoy a de facto pay-TV monopoly in some of these countries -- is teaming up with Newsmax in the first place. Newsmax isn't exactly a household brand in Europe, and to those that do know it, it just carries political baggage. Unlike even Fox News, it carries absolutely no newsgathering cachet.

I also wonder what the dedicated Newsmax Adria channel will look like. The United Group currently operates N1, a "CNN affiliate" with separate feeds for Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia. Will Newmax Adria's operations be integrated with N1? If so, will this be acceptable to CNN?

This certainly is odd, I would think almost no one in Europe would have heard of Newsmax. It's not exactly a Household name in the States. They seem to have almost no newsgathering at all, a lot of their reports come from Feature Story News, (who also have supplied international news in the past to Chinese State Broadcasters and the late UTV Ireland) Perhaps they wanted to get their hands on the Hundreds of Hours of Nazi Documentaries that they show, such as Nazis on Drugs, or Nazis, and Witchcraft. Very Happy
WW
WW Update
I would be shocked if the flagship Nova TV in Croatia adopted any element of the Newsmax brand. Nova S (in Serbia), Nova M (in Montenegro), and Nova BH (in Bosnia-Herzegovina) are relatively minor, upstart channels that can target niche audiences, but the flagship Nova TV in Croatia is that country's leading commercial television channel, whose evening news beats the public-service HRT handily in the ratings. (Croatia's Nova TV was only sold to the United Group a few years ago; the company then introduced the Nova brand to several middling stations in the other countries it serves.)
WW
WW Update
By the way, this is what the news on the Croatian flagship looks like:

Newer posts