TV Home Forum

STV Main Thread:

STV appeal, and Autumn pres is now in use

BG
Big-G Central (East) East Midlands Today
Going slightly off topic, and apologies if this has been mentioned before. But if or when Scotland achieve independence will ITV, or to that matter BBC, still broadcast in Scotland? After all Scotland would become an independent country the same as The Republic of Ireland. Also thinking about it some more, would the licence fee from Scotland be missing from the BBC, because Scotland would no longer be part of Great Britain.

G
WH
what West Country (East) Points West
I can imagine STV still being independent, and still carrying ITV shows as an affiliate of sorts.

They might end up dropping ITV News bulletins in favour of local news, and at a stretch they may drop GMB. I can see it acting as cheap filler of sorts (as it is on whichever of Virgin Media’s channels it’s shown on in Ireland).

As for the BBC, there will be obvious outrage at being forced to pay for a foreign country’s national broadcaster. I think there will be a local replacement for it, which will likely buy in BBC programmes.
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
what posted:
I can imagine STV still being independent, and still carrying ITV shows as an affiliate of sorts.

They might end up dropping ITV News bulletins in favour of local news, and at a stretch they may drop GMB. I can see it acting as cheap filler of sorts (as it is on whichever of Virgin Media’s channels it’s shown on in Ireland).

As for the BBC, there will be obvious outrage at being forced to pay for a foreign country’s national broadcaster. I think there will be a local replacement for it, which will likely buy in BBC programmes.

During the previous independence referendum, the SNP stated they would try and implement a joint venture - The BBC would continue to provide BBC 1 and 2 (and I assume the other channels), meanwhile the SBC would opt out of network programming for local content, much as BBC Scotland already does. So the SBC would get first dibs at the licence fee money for local content, and the rest would be passed onto the BBC for providing the usual network service.
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
I guess this theoretical SBC would take over BBC Scotland and BBC Alba then?
KE
kez19 North Reporting Scotland
I see they’ve also stopped the regional forecasts because now we get a whole Scotland forecast with no focus on the east in my case.

I wonder when the central show will come back with John and kelly-Ann presenting together.

Currently at the moment it seems to be alternating between John MacKay and Andrea Brymer and Norman Macleod and Kelly-Ann Woodland every three weeks.

All bulletins are coming from Pacific Quay in Glasgow. With regards to reports, they are covering both regions.

With the weather forecasts, this also covers both regions in one forecast.

I maybe sounding a bit off key here -- so is Andrea now coming from Glasgow now? (temporary speaking)? Are the studios any different between Pacific Quay to Aberdeen (doubt there is difference) or has the Aberdeen bulletin always been in Glasgow? (throwing tinfoil hat on here!), whenever I have seen Andrea presenting it looked more she came from Aberdeen (As normal) but if she (or rest of Aberdeen crew) been using Glasgow does seem off to me? Does the old Grampian not have the facilities these days to accomodate and on the other is it not a bit stupid to have asked them to have travelled to Glasgow to present a show which could have been done in Aberdeen? Corona and all that?
KE
what posted:

If it was anything to go by during the ITV debacle .... STV was a joke, relied on aussie dramas, ran South Park then also tried comedy and not forgetting that they aired a "adult" themed programme at 7.30pm which didn't have many happy viewers... If STV was to become independent in its own right they need to pretty much up their game but as it stands its just a piss take of a channel (cheap opt outs) let alone any ITV opt outs missed they will either air them for so long, drop them then shuffle them or with a few get so far to quickly forget about them... At a guess if STV ran similar to VM in Ireland it could work but with management running STV they couldn't organise a piss up at their local brewery!
Universal_r and what gave kudos
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
kez19 posted:
I see they’ve also stopped the regional forecasts because now we get a whole Scotland forecast with no focus on the east in my case.

I wonder when the central show will come back with John and kelly-Ann presenting together.

Currently at the moment it seems to be alternating between John MacKay and Andrea Brymer and Norman Macleod and Kelly-Ann Woodland every three weeks.

All bulletins are coming from Pacific Quay in Glasgow. With regards to reports, they are covering both regions.

I maybe sounding a bit off key here -- so is Andrea now coming from Glasgow now? (temporary speaking)? Are the studios any different between Pacific Quay to Aberdeen (doubt there is difference) or has the Aberdeen bulletin always been in Glasgow? (throwing tinfoil hat on here!), whenever I have seen Andrea presenting it looked more she came from Aberdeen (As normal) but if she (or rest of Aberdeen crew) been using Glasgow does seem off to me? Does the old Grampian not have the facilities these days to accomodate and on the other is it not a bit stupid to have asked them to have travelled to Glasgow to present a show which could have been done in Aberdeen? Corona and all that?

Yes, both Andrea and Norman are coming down to Glasgow. Before the Coronavirus outbreak, Aberdeen (STV North) had it's own 6pm bulletin with an Opt Out for viewers in Tayside as it has done now for several years.

The only minor differences between the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen studios is the 'J' desks.

The Aberdeen and Edinburgh studios aren't being used at the moment which is why STV News is going out across both regions from Glasgow.
KE
kez19 posted:

Yes, both Andrea and Norman are coming down to Glasgow. Before the Coronavirus outbreak, Aberdeen (STV North) had it's own 6pm bulletin with an Opt Out for viewers in Tayside as it has done now for several years.

The only minor differences between the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen studios is the 'J' desks.

The Aberdeen and Edinburgh studios aren't being used at the moment which is why STV News is going out across both regions from Glasgow.

I also guess they have dropped the pretentice crap "live from...." who cares?? (bedbug of a saying)

You are correct in regards to Aberdeen and split as thats my area (wish they drop that split for Dundee half the time its basically a pointless bulletin just axe it and put it back in the full bulletin!), ie my neighbours cat got pregant.... and???... it was bad enough a report few years ago for Dundee featured men playing in the mud... newsworthy it was! (not!)

J desks? Newsdesk? (correct me lol)
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
kez19 posted:
kez19 posted:

I also guess they have dropped the pretentice crap "live from...." who cares?? (bedbug of a saying)

You are correct in regards to Aberdeen and split as thats my area (wish they drop that split for Dundee half the time its basically a pointless bulletin just axe it and put it back in the full bulletin!), ie my neighbours cat got pregant.... and???... it was bad enough a report few years ago for Dundee featured men playing in the mud... newsworthy it was! (not!)

J desks? Newsdesk? (correct me lol)

I think for STV News to produce 3 programs when they could have scrapped everything years ago when both channels became 'STV' says something for STV and local areas they broadcast to.

The desks in Edinburgh and Aberdeen are in the shape of a 'J'.

Also STV has been beating Reporting Scotland now in the ratings for a considerable period of time, they must be doing something right.
Last edited by Gary McEwan on 24 June 2020 10:01pm
CO
Coronavision
I suspect that in the event of Scottish Independence, the Border region would be axed rather quickly. The Scottish half would be handed to STV and the English half would become part of Tyne Tees. They'd be keen for STV to continue as the national broadcaster. I'd expect BBC Scotland to form the basis for a new "SBC" affiliated at first to the BBC.
SW
Steve Williams
Here is what the plans were for Scottish broadcasting post-independence, on page 335 on the White Paper that was published before the referendum...
https://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20170104102702/https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0043/00439021.pdf
UN
Universal_r Central Reporting Scotland
That’s why it would be good for ITV to buy STV because if independence ever came god forbid we could continue to get the shows that people love and I think it would be a mistake to drop itv news shows because i couldn’t imagine stv producing a news show that covers the international news its good the way it works now and I could never see then dropping GMB even though the Britain part wouldn’t make much sense. STV Dont have the same ability as ITV to produce good live shows. The same with the bbc although some in Scotland seem to not like them I think a lot of people would miss the bbc a lot

Newer posts