TV Home Forum

Davina and Rylan to front Big Brother show for E4

"Best Shows" to air this year marking 20 years of BB (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
I don’t really remember this Celeb series from 2010, I haven’t a clue who most of the contestants are. I also don’t think I’ve seen a movie with Stephen Baldwin in, yet Davina, Rylan & Emma have talked with excitement like he is, well... Alec Baldwin!

You didn't see him in his award-nominated role in The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas?

The nomination was for Worst Supporting Actor in the Razzies, but still...
fanoftv and Interceptor gave kudos
MU
MrUdagawa
Baffling choice - arguably not even the best episode of that series, never mind ever. There were far better examples of the Tree of Temptation in BB11 and Ultimate BB.

I got the impression they wanted to focus on Ivana to show how they could attract quite big names (given what went on to happen to Donald Trump)
BR
Brekkie
Was she really a big name here though at the time? Dane Bowers probably had more recognition.
MU
MrUdagawa
Was she really a big name here though at the time? Dane Bowers probably had more recognition.

No, she wasn't but it makes them look good with hindsight.
JA
james-2001
She did have an amusing name though Razz
TVMan, MrUdagawa and Brekkie gave kudos
VA
valley
Interesting two photos from Elstree on Twitter:

JO
Johnr
Oh dear, Brian still isn't a happy bunny regarding getting the boot from the presenting role it seems, hence why he didn't pop up for a quick video call...

"I found out from The Sun newspaper that I was being fired and replaced, and it took the production company a further 4 weeks to confirm that, without a single thank you or apology, phone call, text, email or even a bunch of flowers or a single question asking how I was.
My whole time on the show as the host was tainted by how I was treated and it still affects me today.

The same production company asked if I wanted to film a 10 second message on my phone saying hello to you (Davina?) & Rylan. Surprisingly I didn't really feel like doing that."

Last edited by Johnr on 26 June 2020 4:10am
paul_hadley and Josh gave kudos
FL
Flux
Johnr posted:
Oh dear, Brian still isn't a happy bunny regarding getting the boot from the presenting role it seems, hence why he didn't pop up for a quick video call...

"I found out from The Sun newspaper that I was being fired and replaced, and it took the production company a further 4 weeks to confirm that, without a single thank you or apology, phone call, text, email or even a bunch of flowers or a single question asking how I was.
My whole time on the show as the host was tainted by how I was treated and it still affects me today.

The same production company asked if I wanted to film a 10 second message on my phone saying hello to you (Davina?) & Rylan. Surprisingly I didn't really feel like doing that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwDt4ZY1hv4

I don’t blame him to be honest. It was a very public firing and Endemol/C5 handled it very badly. He still speaks highly of Big Brother and his time on it (as housemate at least).

Watching back the Series 2 episode last night once again showed how different the show had become by the end. A nice slow pace to the HLs without montages, music, fast cutting to keep the pace up. And subsequently there was a real feeling of just watching people bond and live together - sometimes just sitting around, cooking/sharing meals, making up games to entertain themselves. The weekly shopping task just added something in the background, but didn’t dominate. If it comes back, I really hope producers look at these early series’ as their template rather than what it later became.
BR
Brekkie
I think Brian still whining about being axed by Big Brother shows why he was the wrong choice - he wasn't a presenter, he was a Big Brother face. Yes, he had a couple of gigs on SM:TV and The Mint, but anyone who watched them should have known he wasn't suitable to carry a show like Big Brother on his own at least. He's done a little bit in Ireland since but hasn't really established himself as a go-to presenter, which after 18 years of doing it says alot about his skills.

Anyhow, back to the show last night. Loved BB2 and visually it was such a step up from BB1 - loved that house. I'd have gone a couple of episodes earlier with "date night" personally as that is what set up this episode and was probably a bit funnier in isolation too. One thing though this episode highlighted is how fewer housemates in the final weeks didn't mean a less entertaining show - we had two weeks with just 5 housemates or less back then, yet in later years the final would always feature 5 or 6, with 6 or 7 in the final week. The (blatant) talk about nominations in this episode showed why fewer HMs made the game more intriguing at that stage - people had to draw the lines, whilst in later years you could get through to the final making the final nominations with about 8 people in the house, so never really had to pick between "friends".
FL
Flux
I think Brian still whining about being axed by Big Brother shows why he was the wrong choice - he wasn't a presenter, he was a Big Brother face. Yes, he had a couple of gigs on SM:TV and The Mint, but anyone who watched them should have known he wasn't suitable to carry a show like Big Brother on his own at least. He's done a little bit in Ireland since but hasn't really established himself as a go-to presenter, which after 18 years of doing it says alot about his skills.

Anyhow, back to the show last night. Loved BB2 and visually it was such a step up from BB1 - loved that house. I'd have gone a couple of episodes earlier with "date night" personally as that is what set up this episode and was probably a bit funnier in isolation too. One thing though this episode highlighted is how fewer housemates in the final weeks didn't mean a less entertaining show - we had two weeks with just 5 housemates or less back then, yet in later years the final would always feature 5 or 6, with 6 or 7 in the final week. The (blatant) talk about nominations in this episode showed why fewer HMs made the game more intriguing at that stage - people had to draw the lines, whilst in later years you could get through to the final making the final nominations with about 8 people in the house, so never really had to pick between "friends".

This is a really good point I've never really considered before. Arguably, there's more drama from a gameplay perspective when there are less HMs and nominations are still running as usual.

I also think the "blatant" discussion of nominations was fine as they weren't actually discussing who they were going to nominate. Just the difficulty of making decisions at this point in the game. But even watching it back last night, I was completely fixed on that seemingly mundane chat over dinner. The show really didn't need the constant fights and controversy it pushed so hard in later years to make an entertaining show.
BR
Brekkie
Absolutely, the mundane was as watchable as the "entertaining". I've no issue with that noms chat myself but from episodes earlier this week rightly or wrongly they got warned for less in CBB4/BB7.

Anyhow, think every fan was hoping last nights show would end with "Big Brother Will Get Back to You", whether it will or not. Think on the basis of this series any revival would rely more on nostalgia than coming back with a brand new format and new host, and that could work. I think just this short reminder of what BB can be has shown viewers it doesn't have to continue in the direction C5 were taking.

For me as a fan of the original format although I've kind of accepted it wouldn't I think having the live feed come back with the series would show a commitment to the true format, and that is something they could use to promote All4+ (as CBS do with All Access). Yes, there are compliance issues of course but slightly less through streaming than broadcast. Personally I think it is no more problematic than the numerous "commentators" on TV and radio every day who seem to be allowed on despite having questionable views.
ME
mediaman2007
I hope Brian dowling is okay as that seems an extreme overreaction to something that didn't even happen - I've seen the clip and Rylan didn't claim Emma took over from Davina just that she hosted the show having worked with Davina on channel 4 BB. Brian is still tweeting to Davina about it today. Really bad look especially when we have far bigger matters to worry about in the world. I'm aware people in telly get treated badly all the time, Davina had a spell out in the cold herself I recall, but you don't lash out in public.
Brekkie, Jon and TVFan2017 gave kudos

Newer posts