The Newsroom

The Times’ Radio Station after “BBC News Stars”

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Presumably there is a voluntary redundancy scheme in place at BBC News at the moment so even for presenters and reporters not presumably in the firing line the opportunity to move may come at a time where they'll get a pay off from the BBC to do so - and of course at the moment job security at the BBC isn't anything like it was thanks to the current political climate.

There wasn't a voluntary redundancy scheme when you wrote this but there is now. Though of course applying for it doesn't mean you'd get it

I always think it's a big risk especially qfor on-air talent when leaving somewhere like the BBC for a new outlet, even one with the backing of something like NewsUK. When it starts to go wrong or something doesn't work they're first out the door. Look at its sister station Talk Radio, 4 years down the line and there's only 2 people left from the original line up.

These things, both in the BBC and outside always launch with lots of money swilling around and then 3 months in that disappears.

A Iot less risk for those those not on air but of course it still happens. Someone I know left the beeb for a job at a new shopping channel, he sat around twiddling his thumbs for a few months it soon being obvious that they'd over estimated how many people they needed. He didn't even see it come to air
CU
Cusack
The website is now live - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio
LL
London Lite Founding member
HO
House

‘Studio 14C’ - where are these broadcasts originating? I didn’t realise the Times Radio Group had so many radio studios?
NG
noggin Founding member
House posted:

‘Studio 14C’ - where are these broadcasts originating? I didn’t realise the Times Radio Group had so many radio studios?

Could it be the numbering scheme is based on something like floor numbers rather than total number of studios ? (So 14C could be the third studio on the 14th floor?).
SP
Spencer
Perhaps they’ve taken a leaf from Granada’s book, and only given their studios even numbers to make it sound like they’ve got more. Very Happy
PA
Parker
Many so called 'stars' seem to forget that its is the Radio/TV station that is what people listen/Watch. With the rare exception of the likes of Wogan the presenter is here today gone tomorrow.
I am sure the Murdochs will chuck money at this project but unless it gets them influence and a profit its days are numbered.
CO
cobbles
Leaving the BBC for a Murdoch backed start up seems the like the kind of thing long-standing, name-known presenters, (which let's be honest are who the times want for this) would only ever do if they were thinking they'd get their cards from the BBC soon anyway. Have they been threatening lay-offs? I assume the BBC's budget squeeze regarding O75 licenses is going to mean job cuts in some places?
LL
House posted:

Could it be the numbering scheme is based on something like floor numbers rather than total number of studios ? (So 14C could be the third studio on the 14th floor?).

Yes, Times Radio is on the 14th Floor of the News UK buliding, opposite London Bridge station. They're in the former talkRADIO studio. talkRADIO and talkSPORT are a few floors above on the same floor.
WH
what
House posted:

Yes, Times Radio is on the 14th Floor of the News UK buliding, opposite London Bridge station. They're in the former talkRADIO studio. talkRADIO and talkSPORT are a few floors above on the same floor.

Yes, talkSPORT, talkSPORT2, and talkRADIO are on the 17th floor of the News Building. Wasn’t Virgin on the 14th floor as well at some point?
VM
VMPhil
The studio actually looks nice and not horribly garish, unlike most of those radio studios that look like TV studios.
LL
what posted:

Yes, talkSPORT, talkSPORT2, and talkRADIO are on the 17th floor of the News Building. Wasn’t Virgin on the 14th floor as well at some point?

Yes, they 'borrowed' talkRADIO's studio for a few months while Virgin's new studio was being constructed. This was to allow Chris Evans to have a full team in the studio with him.

Newer posts