The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LV
LondonViewer
Jon posted:
These US news networks on both sides act more like our written press than our broadcast media.

Agree. US news channels are tabloids. They’re awful. Whilst it’s no great loss with Fox News or MSNBC, it’s very unfortunate that CNN, with a formidable international news gathering capability, has been lost to talking heads. Can’t argue with the ratings for all three of them though. Pays better to be tabloid tv.
CI
cityprod
Jon posted:
These US news networks on both sides act more like our written press than our broadcast media.

Agree. US news channels are tabloids. They’re awful. Whilst it’s no great loss with Fox News or MSNBC, it’s very unfortunate that CNN, with a formidable international news gathering capability, has been lost to talking heads. Can’t argue with the ratings for all three of them though. Pays better to be tabloid tv.

I think that's a little bit harsh in general terms. Certainly Fox News, Newsmax TV and others on the political right are very tabloid in their presentation and agenda, I would argue that MSNBC and CNN are less so, though they do borrow some tabloid elements occasionally. Only CBSN is like the kind of straight news model that we're used to in this country.
HE
headliner101
It just occurred to me again: CNNI is available FTA in Europe yet that feed does not feature too many ads compared to Domestic which is encrypted (subscription-based) but has more ads relative to the time spent on breaks. Isn’t that counterintuitive? How has CNNI managed to stay afloat financially if it is FTA in its flagship market and features fewer ads?

Every cable system in Europe (and elsewhere) that carries CNN International has to pay a fee -- and almost all cable systems carry the channel.

Sure but what's the point if they will make it FTA on Freesat and similar systems in Europe?
LV
LondonViewer
Jon posted:

I think that's a little bit harsh in general terms. Certainly Fox News, Newsmax TV and others on the political right are very tabloid in their presentation and agenda, I would argue that MSNBC and CNN are less so, though they do borrow some tabloid elements occasionally. Only CBSN is like the kind of straight news model that we're used to in this country.

Yes, to be fair, I wasn’t including CBSN. I was only referring to the big three news channels as the equivalent of tabloids. Evening newscasts on the broadcast networks is also still good.
GI
ginnyfan
Softball comedy interviews with Cuomo's big brother are another recent CNN trademark.....

https://www.mediaite.com/news/cnns-poppy-harlow-jim-sciutto-dont-ask-gov-cuomo-about-ny-nursing-home-deaths-in-9-minute-interview/
BF
BFGArmy
Softball comedy interviews with Cuomo's big brother are another recent CNN trademark.....

https://www.mediaite.com/news/cnns-poppy-harlow-jim-sciutto-dont-ask-gov-cuomo-about-ny-nursing-home-deaths-in-9-minute-interview/

The comedy cotton bud moment with the Cuomos was a particular lowpoint and the sort of thing CNN will have no choice but to blame themselves for if it's brought up to discredit them as a news organisation in future. The optics of that bit were truly awful.

It's a shame too - as the CNNUS garbage drags down some of the largely good output CNNI can have when it's actually allowed on air.
WW
WW Update
It just occurred to me again: CNNI is available FTA in Europe yet that feed does not feature too many ads compared to Domestic which is encrypted (subscription-based) but has more ads relative to the time spent on breaks. Isn’t that counterintuitive? How has CNNI managed to stay afloat financially if it is FTA in its flagship market and features fewer ads?

Every cable system in Europe (and elsewhere) that carries CNN International has to pay a fee -- and almost all cable systems carry the channel.

Sure but what's the point if they will make it FTA on Freesat and similar systems in Europe?

Most people in Europe don't have their own satellite dishes. Cable is by far the most common method of pay-TV distribution on the continent, and CNNI gets a fee for each cable subscriber:

http://www.cable-europe.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/140805_FF-YE2013_FINAL.pdf
VA
valley
Most people in Europe don't have their own satellite dishes. Cable is by far the most common method of pay-TV distribution on the continent, and CNNI gets a fee for each cable subscriber:

http://www.cable-europe.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/140805_FF-YE2013_FINAL.pdf

That data is from 2013 - I wonder how it's changed since?
HE
headliner101

I'm a bit surprised most people in Europe don't own a satellite dish given how many of them I count when I visit other countries. But that aside, here's a what-if. If CNNI becomes FTA on UK DTV (i.e. Freeview), who is going to pay the network (i.e. who does CNN send the bill to)? It is available terrestrially in the Netherlands and Sweden but I reckon Digitenne and Boxer respectively are the payers.
NL
Ne1L C

I'm a bit surprised most people in Europe don't own a satellite dish given how many of them I count when I visit other countries. But that aside, here's a what-if. If CNNI becomes FTA on UK DTV (i.e. Freeview), who is going to pay the network (i.e. who does CNN send the bill to)? It is available terrestrially in the Netherlands and Sweden but I reckon Digitenne and Boxer respectively are the payers.

I think it depends really on the country you visit. Holland has a strong cable network setup while parts of Greece (Crete in particular) look like a satellite tracking station
HE
headliner101
On another throwback note, who remembers Ulrika Nilsson? She did weekends for CNNI in the late 90s but little did I know she was Swedish at the time given that she has a wonderful north american (sometimes bordering on southern) accent.

She's now quite active on the newscasts of Sweden's equivalent to ITV1.

WW
WW Update

That data is from 2013 - I wonder how it's changed since?

Here's a breakdown from 2017 from the European Audiovisual Observatory -- cable is brown, its cousin IPTV is dark blue, while satellite is light blue; some countries also have pay-TV via DTT; that's shown as green:

Newer posts