TV Home Forum

This Morning

Social distance no more thanks to clever tech. (p184) - 16/04/18 onwards (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Would it be hard for BBC One to create a One Show version of a live daytime show and air it at lunchtime instead of Bargain Hunt?

Why would they get rid of Bargain Hunt when it rates well and is very cheap to make.
Charlesy and JamesLaverty1925 gave kudos
LV
LondonViewer
what posted:
Vanessa Feltz had a show in daytime at one point too IIRC.

That was ITV at 9.25. It was replaced by Trisha Goddard, then Jeremy Kyle.

Trisha after Vanessa was poached by the Beeb. JK after Trisha was poached by C5.
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
Would it be hard for BBC One to create a One Show version of a live daytime show and air it at lunchtime instead of Bargain Hunt?

Why would they get rid of Bargain Hunt when it rates well and is very cheap to make.

I never said they should get rid of Bargain Hunt, keep it and move it to 2.15pm, and free up 12.15 to have an alternative to This Morning and Loose Women over on ITV, in the same way they offered Daytime Live, Pebble Mill and Open Air as an alternative to the ITV schedules back in the late 80s and 90s.
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

I never said they should get rid of Bargain Hunt, keep it and move it to 2.15pm, and free up 12.15 to have an alternative to This Morning and Loose Women over on ITV, in the same way they offered Daytime Live, Pebble Mill and Open Air as an alternative to the ITV schedules back in the late 80s and 90s.

Seems a bit counterproductive to replace a show which is an alternative to the ITV daytime shows and have dominated that slot for years for a show that would cost more and likely wouldn’t do well.

The Steph Show on Channel 4 proved the audience isn’t there for another live show at that time of day.
Steve Williams and JamesLaverty1925 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:

By ‘alternative’ you mean less alternative than the current programming is?
WH
what
what posted:
Vanessa Feltz had a show in daytime at one point too IIRC.

That was ITV at 9.25. It was replaced by Trisha Goddard, then Jeremy Kyle.

She did basically the same thing at the BBC when she joined there in 1998.
JC
JCB
Jonwo posted:

A clone of 'This Morning' is much less an alternative than 'Bargain Hunt'. By this logic how hard can it be for ITV to create an early evening version of 'This Morning' as an alternative to the 'one show'?
BR
Brekkie
It won't happen because it's not financially prudent but seeing the various 10am live shows BBC1 have put out over recent weeks and as mentioned the 9.15am shows which get short runs over the year I did wonder if perhaps they'd have more presence and make more impact airing once a week for 10 weeks than daily for two, with a different live show each day.

Of course though even though they all pretty much come from The One Show studio and I suspect probably share many staff too it won't happen as that isn't how daytime TV has worked for some time. The next option of course would be as kind of suggested working those formats into a daytime equivalent of The One Show, but I think people are right that it makes little sense to go head to head with ITV with a similar show.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I do wonder if when everything goes back to normal they may keep a live format to go head to head with Lorraine, whether that is BBC News, Victoria Derbyshire, or something more lifestyle.
SW
Steve Williams
To be fair to ITV Daytime, they have done very well maintaining the majority of their live shows. GMB, Lorraine and This Morning have all continued non stop, it was only Loose Women which had a little break, but they returned too.

ITV Daytime is a life line for people who like the live shows. BBC One gave up on any live daytime programming after BBC Breakfast years a go, with the odd exception, most of their 9.15am to 1.00pm programmes are pre-recorded or a lazy simulcast with BBC News.

Why is a live show automatically better than a pre-recorded one? What about Doctors, which is offering original drama on daytime BBC1 nine months of the year? That has a massively loyal audience and is often the highest rated thing on daytime after the news. And there's no equivalent of that on ITV. That's in addition to shows like Father Brown and Shakespeare and Hathaway.

The other week, Saving Our Nurses was a current affairs programme about the future of the NHS - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jygj. It's true that Homes Under The Hammer, Bargain Hunt and Pointless run all year round, but the other shows don't, they constantly ring the changes. So over the day you get a mix of docusoaps, current affairs, lifestyle and much else. As opposed to ITV showing the same four programmes every day of the year which are all pretty much identical.

As for the "lazy simulcast" of the news channel, in normal circumstances that is all on BBC2, so it's about as relevant as saying ITV2 is a "lazy" schedule entirely of repeats. And there's lots of simulcasting of the news on BBC1 now, but there's a massive, massive news story around.
JA
JAS84
I do wonder if when everything goes back to normal they may keep a live format to go head to head with Lorraine, whether that is BBC News, Victoria Derbyshire, or something more lifestyle.

VD has already been axed.
JO
Johnr
Michael Underwood is an actual teacher these days?!

Doing a interview with This Morning whilst teaching his class is pretty unique... Very Happy

Newer posts