The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
What's always amused me is Henley itself is in the London TV region, but hey!

Henley which is just north of Reading, as well as the rest of Berkshire, where I live, we receive the west edition of Meridian, (before Thames Valley)

I wouldn't say the 'rest of Berkshire' as a sweeping statement.

You can receive both CP and Hannington in quite a lot of bits of East Berkshire - but the Crystal Palace signals are usually stronger and easier to receive in places like Maidenhead, so most rooftop aerials are pointed at CP.

BBC South did a story about Wexham Park Hospital (Slough) a couple of weeks ago, which was stretching things rather. Never seen them mention Slough before, though the original Meridian Thames Valley programme made a regular habit of that.
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
MA
I've just noticed the Meridian News bulletin within GMB is split (West and North, with East) yet the 6pm show currently isn't.
Easy to do I suppose, the presenter and crew have plenty of time to record one or the other
--
NG
noggin Founding member
Henley which is just north of Reading, as well as the rest of Berkshire, where I live, we receive the west edition of Meridian, (before Thames Valley)

I wouldn't say the 'rest of Berkshire' as a sweeping statement.

You can receive both CP and Hannington in quite a lot of bits of East Berkshire - but the Crystal Palace signals are usually stronger and easier to receive in places like Maidenhead, so most rooftop aerials are pointed at CP.

BBC South did a story about Wexham Park Hospital (Slough) a couple of weeks ago, which was stretching things rather. Never seen them mention Slough before, though the original Meridian Thames Valley programme made a regular habit of that.

That hospital has a reasonably large catchment area in East Berkshire, so I guess the justification was that people watching Hannington may go to Slough for treatment?

Slough, Maidenhead, Windsor etc. usually fall between two stools in TV terms unless there's a massive story there - too far out of London for BBC London, too far away from Southampton for BBC South...
MA

Slough, Maidenhead, Windsor etc. usually fall between two stools in TV terms unless there's a massive story there - too far out of London for BBC London, too far away from Southampton for BBC South...

To aid this discussion, a picture tells a thousand words (Lighter blue indicates good signal, but not as good as alternatives)

The choice that a viewer might apply to the choice of transmitter is usually governed by other factors, such as very local reception conditions, and where they feel they have most work and social affinity
--

75 days later

SS
SeanS London London
Amanda Piper presenting itv News Meridian In the South East tonight whilst Sangeeta is live from Reading on the South + Thames Valley edition.

Can both be live if one is an OB?
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today
SeanS posted:
Amanda Piper presenting itv News Meridian In the South East tonight whilst Sangeeta is live from Reading on the South + Thames Valley edition.

Can both be live if one is an OB?

The entire South programme was live, including the part when Sangeeta threw to Andrew in the studio for the other news.
South East with Amanda in the studio was entirely pre recorded.
TedJrr, London Lite and SeanS gave kudos
WL
W1LL Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Noticed South Today used a more sombre version of the title music for the programme tonight, never heard that used before.
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
LL
London Lite Founding member London London
BBC London led with the Reading stabbings on the 1830, using BBC South Today's Nikki Mitchell's VT and a live from Andy Moore, ITV London ignored it completely going with a special edition looking at the Windrush anniversary.

18 days later

MA
Fred Dinenage confirmed this evening on Meridian that he is hoping be back presenting in the studio on August 3rd.
He has been isolating at home since March, as he is 78.
London Lite and South Today gave kudos
AM
AlfieMulcahy Meridian (South East) South East Today
Fred Dinenage confirmed this evening on Meridian that he is hoping be back presenting in the studio on August 3rd.

Yeah. Good for him. He seemed to imply that he'd be presenting solo for a few weeks whilst Sangeeta had a well deserved break
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
MA

Yeah. Good for him. He seemed to imply that he'd be presenting solo for a few weeks whilst Sangeeta had a well deserved break

Yes. I may be wrong, but I think all regions have just one newsreader in the studio for all bulletins at the moment (no co-presenting).

Newer posts