TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Ghost posted:
ITV1, eh?

Prime Time as well. Up against a Man City match on BBC1 and Historic Glastonbury on BBC2..... i think they'd be screwed whatever they showed so might as well put it on.

28th June
7.30pm - 9.00pm - The Road to Corrie
9.00pm - 10.00pm - Soap Award Celebration

It's called complementary scheduling and I think ITV have probably given it the best slot it could - will rate better against the football than the powerhouse that is Countryfile/Antiques Roadshow I'm sure, and leading into a soap award doc with a show about the nations most famous soap seems pretty sensible.

Do people think EE going off air will have much effect on Corrie's ratings? Or will EE fans just stick to the EE tribute stuff on BBC1 rather than transitioning across to see Corrie as the most similar soap left?

EastEnders is irrelevant - it's come nowhere near the ratings of Corrie and Emmerdale for a couple of years now and will have zero impact on Corrie now. Indeed of all the UK primetime soaps Corrie is probably the least similar to EastEnders.
CO
cobbles
I don't think it will do all that will with football and Glasto against it though, that applies to the soap show as well. I would have thought both shows would have been better served on a weeknight in the post Corrie slot.

Also re EE ratings I was discussing the shows that are left showing new episodes which are Corrie and Hollyoaks, it's probably less similar than Emmerdale but that's not airing non-lockdown eps yet. Wasn't saying they were the same show or even close though.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
They won't do well but neither would anything else most probably. But they may appeal to a different type of audience to football & Glastonbury. Female & older I expect.
JamesWorldNews and Brekkie gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
Indeed, Rita must mention that she's going to see Mavis every time Barbara Knox takes a break, must be at least once a year

I wondered if they’ll use Mavis as a way to cover Barbara Knox not being available for filming. They would have to say Rita was visiting Mavis in Cumbria before the lockdown, then got stuck up there or something. The number of excuses they’re going to have to invent for shielding actors will become a bit comical, although it’s perhaps easier to write-out those characters like Audrey and Rita who live alone. Those like Evelyn and Ken who reside with other characters are more problematic, unless they’re upstairs ‘playing tapes’.
1997 is the big “cull” year, causing that amusing scene in one episode where the remaining veteran cast (Alec, Gail, Alma etc) all sit around the Rovers and start guessing who’s going to be gone next, which I like to imagine was similar to when the cast were given their scripts each week. It’s on the DVD of episodes from that year.

1996 from memory is mostly about garden gnomes going missing.

I don’t remember this scene but it sounds fantastic. The writers have a bit of fun when Derek dies, cos there was some sort of allotment sub-plot, where I think he loses his membership or something. Lots of discussion about ‘plots’ and I think Derek says in his final ep that he’s been given his marching orders because his ‘plot wasn’t up to scratch’ or similar words. It’s all a bit meta.
CO
cobbles

I wondered if they’ll use Mavis as a way to cover Barbara Knox not being available for filming. They would have to say Rita was visiting Mavis in Cumbria before the lockdown, then got stuck up there or something. The number of excuses they’re going to have to invent for shielding actors will become a bit comical, although it’s perhaps easier to write-out those characters like Audrey and Rita who live alone. Those like Evelyn and Ken who reside with other characters are more problematic, unless they’re upstairs ‘playing tapes’.

Thankfully shielding is being eased now (I speak as someone in the shielding group). August 1st for it to be fully lifted an ability to spend time with up to 6 people outdoors from the 6th July, which will likely make filming a bit easier for the show to get people in the older bracket filming.

Ideally Corrie will film the 60th anniversary scenes involving shielding folk in late August so all the cast can be involved in case there is a second shielding period.
Last edited by cobbles on 22 June 2020 5:50pm - 2 times in total
NE
News96
And i think they may need to do the same (i.e film all chracters who would be shielding) for the episodes over Christmas and New Year (just in case shielding does have to come back into force.)
CO
cobbles
So I've been trying to consider what I'd do if I got the keys to Corrie as a producer and realised why I am not a television producer.

Firstly, I'd give Ken his own home and put him in a relationship with Rita (gradually built up over a few months with natural chemistry.) I'd get them to move in together at No 1 and kick the rest of the residents out of that household for now. It'd be really nice to see some older characters in a genuinely warm long term relationship and I think Ken's understated personality and Rita's larger than life one could seriously complement eachother.

Staying with Barlows I'd keep Carla and Peter together but move them out of the pub and into another house on the street, making Peter do another job that isn't as daft as a former alcoholic running a pub. Perhaps take over a bookies or one of the shops. Lastly with regards to the Barlows - I'd send Tracy and Amy off to live somewhere else other than Corrie and make rare visits for a few years, if any. Simon can go to university and come back with a new head around his 21st birthday when he's graduated.

Gail and Audrey can stay but I'd get her to finally kick the younger members of the Platt household out of the bleeding TARDIS including David, Sarah, Beth, Max and when she returrns to normal Shona. They can move into the Vic Street flats or somewhere.

I'd split Sally and Tim up and get her to reconcile with Kevin at last. The retirement home would be abandoned with older cast members moving back to the street or surrounding streets. Daniel would come out and end up in a relationship with James Bailey.

I'd properly pair Norris and Mary up.

I'd bring in a load of couples in their 20s and early 30s to buy up/rent the houses on Coronation Street. A couple of lesbian couples, a 5 person mixed-race consensual bigamist relationship involving three men and two women, a new loner who turns out to be planning to blow up his own house on the street in protest a rent increases, a gay couple, an elderly lady moving in with her 21 year old toy-boy. An ex army tough-man who is miserable, suffering from PTSD and hates everybody but eventually becomes Weatherfield's biggest swinging life of the party. Some south east asian characters.

The rovers would be taking over by a returning Dennis Tanner when it becomes apparent he faked his own death - his current partner will be a returning Irma Barlow.

I'd write Steve McDonald and Liz McDonald out. I'd write out Nina, Bernie, the Bailey family. I'd write out Leanne and Toyah Battersby, Tyrone Dobbs, Dev Alahan, Eileen, Maria and Kirk, Fiz, Sean, Chesney, the Alahaan twins, Gary, Brian and Izzy, Beth and Craig, the Nazirs, Gemma and Billy, Cathy and Alex, Geoff, Paul Foreman, Bernie Winter.

Can whichever staff members reading this from ITV get this in front of the decision makers and let me know when I start?
Last edited by cobbles on 22 June 2020 7:02pm
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
We've found something worst than fantasy rotas & schedules on these forums.

Fantasy Corrie casts.
CO
cobbles
We've found something worst than fantasy rotas & schedules on these forums.

Fantasy Corrie casts.

Your saying you've never watched an episode and wondered who you'd axe and what actors you'd prefer to join in.

At least I didn't list who I wanted to play all the new characters. (Nicholas Hoult and Asa Butterfield top of the list.... cost, who cares!)

I mean I've written fantasy episodes of the show in the past - you've been spared that!
CO
cobbles
Please don't tell me they're going to have David be stupid enough to think she's having a relationship with the support worker?
SO
Soupnzi
Reading between the lines only slightly, but someone on here seems extremely determined to see Ken and Rita frenetically re-enacting Fifty Shades of Grey in The Kabin’s stock cupboard.
CO
cobbles
Reading between the lines only slightly, but someone on here seems extremely determined to see Ken and Rita frenetically re-enacting Fifty Shades of Grey in The Kabin’s stock cupboard.

You can tell a love story without sex scenes, Corrie used to be good at it once upon a time

Newer posts