TV Home Forum

This Morning

Social distance no more thanks to clever tech. (p184) - 16/04/18 onwards (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DW
DavidWhitfield
The problem with looking specifically for a black presenter is that this person will get the gig and know (s)he was hired because they matched this criteria.

Surely it's better for all parties to take on the best person for the job. Elements of the candidate like race and sexuality shouldn't come into it.

Ben Shephard has presented during holidays many times. If he were to leave GMB and join This Morning, it shouldn't be thought of as 'another white presenter joining the team' no more than if, say, they decided to give Andi Peters the role should it be thought of as 'a black presenter joins the team'.

It shouldn't matter.

That being said, this is all utterly irrelevant because I'm 99% sure that the article in question is complete tabloid drivel with no basis in fact.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 14 June 2020 6:31pm
Charlesy, Brekkie and Jonwo gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Exactly. I'd assume Ben and Rochelle would be favoured for Fridays this summer if available as the show needs hosts familiar to the show and they can't really take risks or have a rotating mix of hosts like they have in the past.
Last edited by Brekkie on 14 June 2020 8:16pm
JA
JAS84
Jonwo posted:
This sounds like a completely made up story but I'll link it anyway: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8418427/ITVs-Morning-wants-hire-black-presenter.html

I'm guessing whoever wrote the story has forgotten about Rochelle Humes and Alison Hammond who have covered the show in the past as well as Ore Oduba.

Watch them do a follow up claiming they were right, after Rochelle gets announced as one of the summer presenters. When in fact, as you say, she wouldn't be a new hire.

Though actually, I can see her doing it with her husband Marvin Humes instead of Ben Shephard. Like Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford, they wouldn't need to worry about social distancing.

8 days later

JO
Johnr
Davina and Phil today, don’t ever remember that happening before! (Granted a last minute stand in for Holly)
BR
Brekkie
Think they've done a week before.
MA
Meridian AM
It is already so much better with Davina than Holly.
BR
Brekkie
Well the "PRESENTER SHAKE-UP" and "HOLLY REPLACED" articles seem to suggest they opened the show saying they didn't think they'd presented together before, but they did do a whole week a few years back.

MA
Meridian AM
Well the "PRESENTER SHAKE-UP" and "HOLLY REPLACED" articles seem to suggest they opened the show saying they didn't think they'd presented together before, but they did do a whole week a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZjeIv0s_n0

I saw the opening. They said they hadn't done it together before and Davina said she was nervous.

It is already much better with Davina than Holly.
Even smug Phillip has been more bearable.
JW
JamesWorldNews
“I’m in safe hands, aren’t I?”

Yes, Davina.
TM
TravisM
Can't believe they forgot they did a whole week together!
MA
Meridian AM
Can't believe they forgot they did a whole week together!

Yeah that is strange. Surely someone in the production team would remember?!

I think Davina has also done it with Ben and/or Rylan before..?

Davina is very good and is better suited to the show than Holly.

I think it's interesting that Philip and Holly come across much better when they are hosting with other presenters than with each other. Philip and Davina are working well.
Eamonn and Holly have done it together before and was good. Same when Philip and Ruth have done it together.
But Philip and Holly together come across fake, smug and just annoying overall now.
JO
Jonwo
Davina did it last year with Rochelle.

It’s a valid point that Holly and Phil work better when they’re with other presenters but I think it’s because they have to rein in their bad habits and step up when that occurs.

Newer posts