TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Is there too many spoilers?

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I think he means Betty was older than Bill is now when she last appeared, not that she's still in the show now.
CO
cobbles
Ken isn't going to be killed off until Bill Roache himself either dies or gets too ill to continue, I'd be very suprised if it ends up being otherwise.

I mean I understand that but depending on how long shielding and social distancing remain in place he could become too ill to continue whilst he's no longer able to be a central actor in the show - and surely as an actor he'd rather his character got a decent send off than got written off of screen in a couple of years time because he's died in real life. As I said at 88 he must be one of the oldest actors/actress to feature in the entire history of the show - Betty Driver is the only one who comes to mind to have been acting in the show older than him.

At least if Ken's death is made a focal point of a major anniversary occasion it could act as somewhat a way of closing off an era and ensure Ken doesn't become another ex-Corrie star whose died a few years down the line in show cannon. I mean only 5 years ago it was inconceivable that Emily would get an off-screen death, but it now seems pretty much nailed. Given Bill's self-appointed position as 'guardian of Ken Barlow' he'd surely want more for his character than that.

Although he believes he'll live until 120, so need to worry until 2052....
CO
cobbles
William Roache is 88 this year, Betty Driver must be one of the only Coronation Street actress/actors to still be regularly in the show much older than that?

Are you counting the picture of Betty in the Rovers as appearing in the show? She died in 2011, and the character died in April 2012.

I meant the age of the actor. Betty was 90-91 during her final appearances.

Aside from her I can't think of anyone older than Bill (88,) being a regular actor in the show. Jack Howarth was the same age as him at 88 which is the closest I can find from a quick skim.
SO
Soupnzi Recently warned London London
Even before COVID-19, getting insurance becomes a huge issue for elderly actors. Betty Driver and June Brown became restricted to indoor scenes only in their final years...and we saw the same with Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton in the last few series of LOTSW.

Now with COVID-19, even the sprightly Prue Leith (80) is an insurance issue for GBBO according to reports last week.
CO
cobbles
Even before COVID-19, getting insurance becomes a huge issue for elderly actors. Betty Driver and June Brown became restricted to indoor scenes only in their final years...and we saw the same with Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton in the last few series of LOTSW.

Now with COVID-19, even the sprightly Prue Leith (80) is an insurance issue for GBBO according to reports last week.

Although you'd imagine Bill Roache and the character of Ken Barlow are one of those few occasions where the show would do everything in their power to allow them to keep working as long as they want to do so.

I did wonder if the retirement home plot was a potential way to cut the insurance bill.
JE
Jez Founding member Wales Wales Today
Do people Ken will be killed off for the 60th anniversary?

Definitely not. The only way Ken will be killed off is if Bill sadly passes away in real life whilst still in the show. Like so many others that had to be written out because the actor/actress died - Blanche, Betty, Deirdre to name but a few. Bill has said he will carry on playing Ken as long as he is able to.
CO
cobbles
Jez posted:
Do people Ken will be killed off for the 60th anniversary?

Definitely not. The only way Ken will be killed off is if Bill sadly passes away in real life whilst still in the show. Like so many others that had to be written out because the actor/actress died - Blanche, Betty, Deirdre to name but a few. Bill has said he will carry on playing Ken as long as he is able to.

Sadly able to doesn't always mean the same to the actor as it does to production crews (Frank Pemberton, Bernard Yeouns, Peter Dudley among others).

Anyway the discussion of Ken made me try and figure out how long the actors who've done more than 20 years would need to stay in the show to beat his 'longevity record'

The following long-serving Coronation Street actors would need to leave in the following years to match his current record if he left tomorrow. I'll redo this when he eventually does leave......

Barbara Knox who has been in the show 48 years would need to leave in 2032 at the age of 98 [RITA]

Helen Worth who has been in the show 46 years would need to leave in 2034 at the age of 83 [GAIL]

Michael Le Vell who has been in the show 36 years would need to leave in 2044 at the age of 79 [KEVIN]

Sue Nicholls who has been in the show 36 years would need to leave in 2044 at the age of 100 [AUDREY]

Sally Dyvenor who has been in the show 34 years would need to leave in 2046 at the age of 83 [SALLY]

Simon Gregson who has been in the show 30 years would need to leave in 2050 at the age of 75 [STEVE]

David Neilson who has been in the show 25 years would need to leave in 2055 at the age of 106 [ROY]

Alan Halsall who has been in the show 22 years would need to leave in 2058 at the age of 75 [TYRONE]

Jimmi Harkishin who has been in the show 21 years would need to leave in 2059 at the age of 94 [DEV]

Jack P. Shepherd who has been in the show 20 years would need to leave in 2060 at the age of 72 [DAVID]

Sue Cleaver who has been in the show 20 years would need to leave in 2060 at the age of 96 [EILEEN]

Malcolm Hebden who has been in the show 20 years would need to leave in 2060 at the age of 120 [NORRIS]

I can't be arsed to do those who've been in it less than 20 years but a few could be in contention in the late 2060s/early 2070s.

Beverley Callard who plays Liz McDonald has recently left and will air her final scenes in July but were she to stay on she'd have had to leave in 2057 at the age of 100 to beat Bill Roache

And obviously these dates get pushed back a day every day Ken remains in the show and then every day another one on the list stays in after that. And this assumes they don't take a break from the show to do other stuff - which has been taken out of the above (that's where 6 years went for Norris for example).
Last edited by cobbles on 22 June 2020 10:17am
JW
JamesWorldNews STV Central World News
It’s worth remembering that some of the people who work in tv (actors, presenters, production staff) are active and passive participants of this forum.

I know of one Coronation Street member of staff who is extremely enthralled by all this talk on these boards of death, age, insurability and their perceived abilities as they grow older.

Whilst everything you have written may be true and is fascinating for us tv geeks, just remember there is a real person behind those “characters” we so freely opine of.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
CO
cobbles
It’s worth remembering that some of the people who work in tv (actors, presenters, production staff) are active and passive participants of this forum.

I know of one Coronation Street member of staff who is extremely enthralled by all this talk on these boards of death, age, insurability and their perceived abilities as they grow older.

Whilst everything you have written may be true and is fascinating for us tv geeks, just remember there is a real person behind those “characters” we so freely opine of.

I'd hope that Corrie staff member would be reassured by the fact that none of us are wishing for any living indivual to pass away or anything like that (although there's a few characters many of us wouldn't mind seeing the back of - even then it's worth remembering that is an actor out of work and they don't always recover so not something to treat lightly. The tale of Lynne Caro is a sad warning to producers and actors about just how much people identify an actor with a Corrie actor.) Here's to all Corrie actors sticking around for many many years to come

With regards to the discussion of longevity in the show, I think it's only natural that when someone sets a record you look to see who might realistically beat it. Although again that might not be comfortable reading for those who'd need to live into their hundreds to set the record.

Perhaps best to go back to discussing some of the imaginative plot ideas we were earlier - though I'll steer clear of any death related ones.

Does anyone else think the Bistro could do with being turned into a night club rather than a restaurant - with the rovers given a bit of a revamp to feel much more pub/restaurant than pub. The area is clearly a bit more middle class than it was once upon a time so the Rovers Realistically would have either been knocked down or turned into a restaurant donkeys ago, and perhaps a nightclub on the street would give a good avenue for more interaction between some of the younger characters. Although I could easily see Rita dancing and singing in there as well. This is all post-Covid naturally.
JW
JamesWorldNews STV Central World News
The Road To........

@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
GH
Ghost Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
ITV1, eh?
Can I have your attention please?
CO
cobbles
The Road To........

I know this has never been shown on ITV in prime time yet but it seems an incredibly odd choice to show it as the lead up to the soap awards.

It was BBC4's second highest rated programme when it went out and has been on Amazon for years. It was repeated on ITV when Tony Warren passed away, and is 10 years old. Surely everyone who wanted to see this has seen it already. It's also going to be up against a Man City on BBC1 for a fair chunk of it. I suppose it's an easy soap related show to go do and will likely do a few million by virtue of not being the football and on before the soap awards celebration.

I still find it nuts that this was on BBC4 back at the 50th rather than on ITV1.

Newer posts