The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GI
ginnyfan
Well it did not stop them from obsessing about it and COVID19, days in advance, and now after the event making fun of the crowd size.

Of course COVID19 was a banned topic during the hundreds of thousands that gathered to protest police brutality.

Objective as always.....
CI
cityprod
Well it did not stop them from obsessing about it and COVID19, days in advance, and now after the event making fun of the crowd size.

Of course COVID19 was a banned topic during the hundreds of thousands that gathered to protest police brutality.

Objective as always.....

It wasn't a banned topic, it just wasn't as big an issue for those protests, which were mainly populated by people in their 20s and 30s, who are, according to all the available evidence, less likely to die from Covid-19 than people who are older.

By contrast, Trump's main demographic is older, 50+, people who are more likely to die from the disease, so therefore the spread of Covid 19 there is a more significant issue than it was during the BLM protests.
JO
Jon

It wasn't a banned topic, it just wasn't as big an issue for those protests, which were mainly populated by people in their 20s and 30s, who are, according to all the available evidence, less likely to die from Covid-19 than people who are older.

You don’t think any of those people then travel on busses or have elder relatives they live with or go to supermarkets?

I watched quite a bit of the CNN coverage of the protests and the risk spreading Covid was hardly mentioned despite reporters and protesters wearing masks.

It’s clear that CNN have an anti Trump agenda and will throw anything at him if it suits that agenda in a way they wouldn’t do if it was a cause or politician they liked. Now as someone who doesn’t like Trump it doesn’t bother me especially when there are broadcasters who are just as bad on Trump’s side. But I can still see that agenda is there.
LondonViewer, Independent and ginnyfan gave kudos
CI
cityprod
Jon posted:

You don’t think any of those people then travel on busses or have elder relatives they live with or go to supermarkets?

I watched quite a bit of the CNN coverage of the protests and the risk spreading Covid was hardly mentioned despite reporters and protesters wearing masks.

It’s clear that CNN have an anti Trump agenda and will throw anything at him if it suits that agenda in a way they wouldn’t do if it was a cause or politician they liked. Now as someone who doesn’t like Trump it doesn’t bother me especially when there are broadcasters who are just as bad on Trump’s side. But I can still see that agenda is there.

It's not an anti-Trump agenda, as much as it is a pro-facts agenda. Trump has used huge amounts of spin, propaganda, lies and more to basically denigrate his opponents, undermine the rule of law, and basically present himself as the Dictator In Chief. Anybody doing the things that Trump has done, would get called out for their criminal activity. It's only specific to Trump because Trump is the one doing it. No other president in the history of the US has been this corrupt and seemingly gotten away with it, though whether that remains the case after he leaves office is still to be determined.
WW
WW Update

Objective as always.....

By contrast, Trump's main demographic is older, 50+, people who are more likely to die from the disease, so therefore the spread of Covid 19 there is a more significant issue than it was during the BLM protests.

Also, a growing body of evidence indicates that Covid-19 spreads much faster in enclosed spaces than it does outdoors.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

It's not an anti-Trump agenda, as much as it is a pro-facts agenda.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with that. But I think even with Trump some of the reporting of what he does is going to be influenced by the fact they don’t like his politics.

In the same way The Mirror might publish stories about the PM they wouldn’t about a Labour politician because it suits there agenda and editorial.

These US news networks on both sides act more like our written press than our broadcast media.

Could you imagine the BBC having to cover Trump if he was in our domestic politics? They would have to report all his statements as if they were valid despite how outrageous he is being.
CI
cityprod
Jon posted:
Jon posted:

It's not an anti-Trump agenda, as much as it is a pro-facts agenda.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with that. But I think even with Trump some of the reporting of what he does is going to be influenced by the fact they don’t like his politics.

In the same way The Mirror might publish stories about the PM they wouldn’t about a Labour politician because it suits there agenda and editorial.

These US news networks on both sides act more like our written press than our broadcast media.

Could you imagine the BBC having to cover Trump if he was in our domestic politics? They would have to report all his statements as if they were valid despite how outrageous he is being.

Which is very much how the American mainstream media handled Trump in 2016. There wasn't the degree of call him out on his BS then that there is now, and frankly, I think the media is better for it. As for his politics, his politics in general have little to do with the behaviours he's been called out on. Any reasonable broadcaster would call out such behaviour, whether it came from a Democrat or a Republican. Heck, MSNBC was often thought of as being pro-Obama, and they still called him out on many things he did wrong, although nothing even remotely close to what Trump has done. Most of that was just believing he had made bad political decisions, not actively tried to become a dictator, despite what the Republicans at the time were saying.
EX
excel99
A well deserved promotion at CNN London. Producer, and fairly regular on-air fill in correspondent anyway, especially at weekends, Salma Abdelaziz, is now a reporter.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoDZftljGv/
LO
LivefromORL
A good old fashioned roast by Jake Tapper of reporter Ryan Nobles, featuring P!nk

HE
headliner101
It just occurred to me again: CNNI is available FTA in Europe yet that feed does not feature too many ads compared to Domestic which is encrypted (subscription-based) but has more ads relative to the time spent on breaks. Isn’t that counterintuitive? How has CNNI managed to stay afloat financially if it is FTA in its flagship market and features fewer ads?
SC
scottishtv Founding member
"On Scene" appears to be a relatively new favourite graphic. It's popped up a lot lately, and I think it's a bit unnecessary.

WW
WW Update
It just occurred to me again: CNNI is available FTA in Europe yet that feed does not feature too many ads compared to Domestic which is encrypted (subscription-based) but has more ads relative to the time spent on breaks. Isn’t that counterintuitive? How has CNNI managed to stay afloat financially if it is FTA in its flagship market and features fewer ads?

Every cable system in Europe (and elsewhere) that carries CNN International has to pay a fee -- and almost all cable systems carry the channel.

Newer posts