TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
I tend to agree. A small bundle of games would suit the BBC and shouldn’t cost a huge amount.

As an aside, what do people reckon will happen with the new 20/21 season? Extra games shown again? 3pm kick offs on a Saturday televised again? Some FTA action on BBC/Pick?

It’s doubtful that things will be fully back to normal so it’ll be interesting to see what happens...

They do cost a huge amount - that's the problem. I'm sure most football fans would rather have a season of Match of the Day than a handful of live games.

If as seems inevitable all games end up being broadcast it might open the door to free to air coverage, though to be honest it feels like that ship has sailed. If two or three pay TV providers could cover 9 matches between them they could cover 10.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
PL
plymouthbloke1974 West Country (West) Spotlight
I tend to agree. A small bundle of games would suit the BBC and shouldn’t cost a huge amount.

As an aside, what do people reckon will happen with the new 20/21 season? Extra games shown again? 3pm kick offs on a Saturday televised again? Some FTA action on BBC/Pick?

It’s doubtful that things will be fully back to normal so it’ll be interesting to see what happens...

This depends and awful lot on what happens with social distancing surely? Assuming clubs can admit fans (possibly even 50% stadiums with 1m social distancing) then I'd imagine the 3pm curfew will come back into effect if the lower leagues restart, it's never been about not televising 3pm top flight games, it's about encouraging folk to go to lower league games at that KO time - and given the financial predicament many such clubs are currently in and is likely to worsen for them they'll be putting a lot of pressure on broadcasters to reinstate the 3pm blackout.

What I think we may find is many more matches in the top-flight not being played at 3pm on a Saturday and instead spread all over the Friday to Monday similarly to how they have been during this week to try and maximise TV rights takings for the clubs. You could end up with weekends where just one match is actually played at 3pm, but it still wouldn't be televised in order to keep lower league clubs happy.

My interest would be if there's a spike in sales of Sky/Now TV etc etc subs (which is another factor regarding viewing figures that will be recorded for this match - are the Now TV customers normally recorded against Sky viewing figures? If not that presumably gives BBC a headstart straight away). I guess this match will be the 'highest rated premier league match.' - if it's a case that showing the match on BBC has such a bigger reach then surely the Premier League should be practically giving away a dozen matches or so to the BBC to help with increasing the number of folk buying up BT/Now TV/Sky subs?

Thing is - they did a review a few years ago and concluded showing games at 3pm would not affect attendances in the modern era, especially with access to .... *cough cough* alternative streams.

Not being able to watch “El Classico” at 3pm on TV on a Saturday wouldn’t compel me to go to Home Park and watch a Plymouth Argyle game at the stadium instead. I’d either not bother or find alternative ways of watching it.

I think the PL seriously need to look at a 15:00 Saturday package of games for the next rights round that can be sold at a premium. I’d happily pay a little more to watch those - and it would kill most piracy dead.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today

Not being able to watch “El Classico” at 3pm on TV on a Saturday wouldn’t compel me to go to Home Park and watch a Plymouth Argyle game at the stadium instead. I’d either not bother or find alternative ways of watching it.

I think realistically if El Classico was on the telly at 3pm a few people that would otherwise be going to Argyle would end up getting a few cans and watching that with their mates at home.

I don’t think a package of 3pm Premier League games is likely, it’s better for the broadcasters to split the slots up to maximise audiences . I do think the 3pm black out is on the way out though, but it’ll be lower league clubs that reap the benefits as they’ll be able to sell those games on a PPV/subscription basis.
PL
plymouthbloke1974 West Country (West) Spotlight
The big six clubs are lobbying for the blackout to be removed. We’ll see.... I think COVID-19 will change the way football is broadcast moving forward...
RE
Revolution London London

They do cost a huge amount - that's the problem. I'm sure most football fans would rather have a season of Match of the Day than a handful of live games.

If as seems inevitable all games end up being broadcast it might open the door to free to air coverage, though to be honest it feels like that ship has sailed. If two or three pay TV providers could cover 9 matches between them they could cover 10.

When the EU got involved and investigated the Premier League's bidding process during the 2000s, it was thought the terrestrial broadcasters would benefit. ITV had considered making a bid for a Premier League package (Saturday evenings) in 2003, but it fell through because it simply was unaffordable. Now there seems to be a mutual arrangement as there was in 1992 whereby the BBC are content with highlights and Sky show the live matches and make the scheduling decisions.

Sky/BT's concern re FTA creeping into the 2020/21 season seems to be the reduction in demand for subscriptions. But that surely depends on whether they still hold the power to show the most attractive games on paper.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Isn't the obvious 3pm compromise to make those games pay-per-view?
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
I’m unsure if this has been seen anywhere previously, but this trailer featured during MOTD:

A couple of things to point out include an incorrect BBC logo at 00:05 and a few shots of the studio without the VR graphics at 00:16
RD
rdd Founding member
Pay per view was tried by the Premier League for a six year stretch in the 2000s and the biggest thing it proved is that people were willing to pay more than one subscription to watch. PremPlus ended up having far more subscribers on the season ticket option than individual buys per game, didn’t it?

The Premier League has been inching more and more games out of the 3pm window for the last fifteen or more years - there have been weeks with as little as three or four PL games in that window. I suspect all that Covid-19 might do on that front is accelerate a process that was already well in train.
RK
Rkolsen World News
NBC Sports (on NBC network) carried the Royal Ascot in what I’d say was a curated form from 9-12PM ET. What I found intriguing as that the first hour they relied on ITV Racing’s race output along with some of their interviews, then for the second and third hours they relied on Sky Sports Racing complete with Pushback. It also appeared NBC Sports had two people there for interviews and commentary.

Also with the Premier League back I forgot that even though NBC Sports produces everything locally (of course save for the world game feed) they use the entire Sky Sports package - on everything from studio graphics to name straps and fixture tables.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 21 June 2020 12:28am - 3 times in total
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
VA
valley
Noticed today that Sky Sport Austria is running the Premier League typeface on its Austrian Bundesliga coverage (see the lower-third for the commentator):

And so is Sky Sport Germany for this German Bundesliga advert:

CO
cobbles Recently warned Granada North West Today
Anyone remember those newspaper articles from the past few days say Bournemouth v Palace would become the most watched PL game of all time by default of being on BBC1....

https://twitter.com/Natpirks/status/1274627971744247809

3.6m average.

Unless any of the other matches have topped 3.3m in the restart, it's 2nd most watched of all time.

You'd expect one of the remaining BBC fixtures to top that if not the 4m....
VA
valley
I’d expect the Pick match to do well tonight.

Newer posts