TV Home Forum

Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow

Pretty much a retake on Gameshow Marathon in my opinion. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I don’t think the monetary offers were ‘derisory’ compared to the prizes in the boxes. The treasure chest was only £1000 and you were offered near half of that guaranteed
BR
Brekkie
As for being a Deal or No Deal "rip off" - many would argue DOND actually took alot from Take Your Pick.
JA
james-2001
Interesting how a show which is 50 years older than DOND can be ripping it off!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The offers were quite derisory given that in 1996 Des would sometimes offer over £500.

So fine for the nostalgia as a one off, but I couldn't see this level of risk vs reward working for any potential reboot.
JO
Jon
The offers were quite derisory given that in 1996 Des would sometimes offer over £500.

So fine for the nostalgia as a one off, but I couldn't see this level of risk vs reward working for any potential reboot.

Of course the difference here was the prizes you could win that round weren’t of a very high value, so it would be pointless to be offering similar levels to the value of the prizes.

Of course the value of the prizes in the Epic Endgame made up for the lower values in the second round.
Last edited by Jon on 15 June 2020 7:46pm
GM
Gary McEwan
I'm actually really enjoying this. They've even got the original Strike It Lucky music.

I could definitely see this back on the TV Screens with Alan at the helm.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Strike It Lucky is up tonight. Used the original theme tune. Which was nice. Very very reminiscent of the original show. in terms of presentation and the set, its like the original 1980s set, only darker which seems to be the trend these days.
BR
Brekkie
Looks like they've added 2 extra screens to each row and are playing for two teams to cross for a head to head rather than one straight into the final.
GM
Gary McEwan
Looks like they've added 2 extra screens to each row and are playing for two teams to cross for a head to head rather than one straight into the final.

I thought there was extra screens at each end, thankfully it's not just me that spotted it.
JO
Jonwo
Strike it Lucky plays to Alan’s strengths and he’s very good with the contestants with the right amount of humour although I’m not sure if they’ll have 87 year old contestants anytime soon.
GM
Gary McEwan
Jonwo posted:
Strike it Lucky plays to Alan’s strengths and he’s very good with the contestants with the right amount of humour although I’m not sure if they’ll have 87 year contestants anytime soon.

That was the charm about Strike it Rich in its latter days when they had at least one elderly couple who were as mad as a brush and stole the show.

Just need to look on YouTube and watch the episode that had Eric on it. That episode was something else.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Strike it Lucky plays to Alan’s strengths and he’s very good with the contestants with the right amount of humour although I’m not sure if they’ll have 87 year old contestants anytime soon.

With any luck he'll win a bungee jump or similar. Happened quite a lot in the Rich era.
Jonwo and Gary McEwan gave kudos

Newer posts