TV Home Forum

Pick UK HD

Launch day - Wednesday the 17th of June (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
BadwolfSaxon
JAS84 posted:
Problem is, if it was a late decision because of the football, and wasn't planned before the pandemic, then they haven't had time to make new idents. It'll look rushed, yes, but that's because it is.

And actually, while those lines do line up with the letter K in the channel name, they're NOT actually integral to the final transition - it's just a diagonal slide revealing the final image with the name already in place. The problem I see, actually, is that the Sky logo ended up too close to the left edge of the screen. But making it smaller wouldn't have covered up the existing logo, and it does have to be covered up if they don't have a logoless version of the ident footage and animation.

I suppose they could use most of the current ident sequences, and then just change the final lockup after the last transition to a centered logo with some of the footage in the background?

Come to think of it, doesn't More 4 have the same problem, the logo was changed, elements of the old logo are in the idents - and they didn't replace them?

I think people are mistaking the current “Pick” branding “K” thing from the 2011 “Pick TV” Idents where it was actually used for transitions with the logo on idents 👇

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QW5zOP1Y5x4
BS
BadwolfSaxon
JAS84 posted:
Merlin? That's a BBC show, why is it on Pick, and not, say, Drama?

It's also branded as 'The Adventures of Merlin' with a badly tacked on 'The Adventures of' which suggests to me it's the international version. NBC broadcast it in the US so perhaps Sky by extension now have the broadcast rights?

That’s because Sky/Pick needed to buy the international version of the show mainly so they don’t have to manually create the advert breaks for themselves as the original BBC One version doesn’t have adverts
WH
what
JAS84 posted:
Merlin? That's a BBC show, why is it on Pick, and not, say, Drama?

It's also branded as 'The Adventures of Merlin' with a badly tacked on 'The Adventures of' which suggests to me it's the international version. NBC broadcast it in the US so perhaps Sky by extension now have the broadcast rights?

That’s because Sky/Pick needed to buy the international version of the show mainly so they don’t have to manually create the advert breaks for themselves as the original BBC One version doesn’t have adverts

The version on UK Netflix also has the “Adventures of Merlin” titlecards, but no ad break slots as far as I can tell.
JO
Jonny
Talk about not being able to make your mind up what the channel is actually called. This new article begins by referring to it as "the free to air Pick channel" then abruptly changes to "Sky Pick".

www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/12010343/premier-league-restart-how-to-watch-free-to-air-games-on-sky-pick

All will be revealed/not revealed later I guess. Bit odd.
JA
Jake
I think it highlights that Pick isn't a strong brand, as they have to refer to it as the 'Pick channel' or 'Sky Pick' in print. Presumably they only want the Sky association whilst the football is being shown.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
JAS84 posted:
Problem is, if it was a late decision because of the football, and wasn't planned before the pandemic, then they haven't had time to make new idents. It'll look rushed, yes, but that's because it is.

And actually, while those lines do line up with the letter K in the channel name, they're NOT actually integral to the final transition - it's just a diagonal slide revealing the final image with the name already in place. The problem I see, actually, is that the Sky logo ended up too close to the left edge of the screen. But making it smaller wouldn't have covered up the existing logo, and it does have to be covered up if they don't have a logoless version of the ident footage and animation.

I suppose they could use most of the current ident sequences, and then just change the final lockup after the last transition to a centered logo with some of the footage in the background?

Come to think of it, doesn't More 4 have the same problem, the logo was changed, elements of the old logo are in the idents - and they didn't replace them?

I think people are mistaking the current “Pick” branding “K” thing from the 2011 “Pick TV” Idents where it was actually used for transitions with the logo on idents 👇

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QW5zOP1Y5x4

I don't believe they're thinking of a 9 year old ident...

What Stuart and JAS84 are saying is that while the logo and the K don't have any animation, the K is still important as the mask dividers follow the angles of the K. But in terms of transitioning to the final 'slide', it's just simply a diagonal wipe, so it wouldn't be hard to alter the ending to fit in a Sky Pick logo, they'd just need to figure out if the K branding device is needed or would fit with a logo change

PF
PFML84
That YouTube channel also has the Challenge idents on there in 1080p as well... not that they'll ever be broadcast that way, but still... nice to see.

Interestingly, the video description says that the company filmed 8 idents for Pick in total, yet any time I watch Pick it's only ever the cat, popcorn or flashing lights idents that get used. I see a demonic eye one, but I've never seen that on air. I wonder what the other 4 are?
GO
gottago
That YouTube channel also has the Challenge idents on there in 1080p as well... not that they'll ever be broadcast that way, but still... nice to see.

Interestingly, the video description says that the company filmed 8 idents for Pick in total, yet any time I watch Pick it's only ever the cat, popcorn or flashing lights idents that get used. I see a demonic eye one, but I've never seen that on air. I wonder what the other 4 are?

Off the top of my head there's also a wet dog one and a wine glass smashing one. Can't think of any others.

I've never seen that eye one either, maybe a bit too freaky to be used on TV!
TI
This Is Granada

Yes there are 8 Pick idents:

https://creativepool.com/mmmx/projects/pick-tv-idents-for-sky-pick-tv

https://theident.gallery/pick-2016.php

*Cat
*Popcorn
*Police car flashing light
*Wet dog
*Smashing wine glass
*Road gravel

Then the 2 that never seem to get used/poss considered too scary so have been dropped.

*Tension eye
*Red eye
JL
J. Lyric

Saw that someone on this thread mocked what a "Sky Pick" ident would look like, and so I thought: "Hey, maybe I could do that."

So I did.

Have at me.
JF
JetixFann450

Saw that someone on this thread mocked what a "Sky Pick" ident would look like, and so I thought: "Hey, maybe I could do that."

So I did.

Have at me.

Think that's a much better attempt, the Sky logo isn't near the edge.
JO
Josh
Do we know what the continuity for Pick (non-football) was like?

Newer posts