TV Home Forum

Bauer rebranding 53 stations to The Hits/Greatest Hits

The majority of its acquisitions last year (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
I think it's pretty standard in the world of commercial radio for presenters to learn they've done their last show after they've done it - preventing any mawkish farewells. How their replacements then handle that is another matter!

How utterly depressing for presenters and infinitely sad for loyal listeners!
BR
Brekkie
Agree. At least Global gave their outgoing local hosts the chance to say goodbye on air. Yes, it was all a bit awkward, especially for the breakfast hosts generally bumping the drivetime hosts out of a job, but ultimately for most outgoing hosts it's more of an opportunity to sell themselves to potential future employers rather than for revenge, and frankly with the radio market the way it is you probably need to keep those who sacked you sweet as chances are if you are lucky enough to get a role somewhere else they'll probably be bought out in the near future as well.
London Lite, DJ Dave and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
RO
robrymond
There's a good reason Foxy didn't get chance to say goodbye and that is what happened with Andy and Louise when they ended up disappearing before there actual end date due to comments on air when they announced they were being pushed. They put through lots of irate callers and said they'd been kicked off. There is audio somewhere...
WH
what
On the note of the updated jingles for Pulse, Signal and The Wave; yes, they are the jingles Hits Radio have been using since 2018, but they still sound really upbeat and perfectly suited for the station’s output.
Last edited by what on 29 August 2020 2:05pm
IS
Inspector Sands
I think it's pretty standard in the world of commercial radio for presenters to learn they've done their last show after they've done it - preventing any mawkish farewells. How their replacements then handle that is another matter!

It also prevents amazing bits of radio like this:

WH
what
Forgive me if this is slightly off topic but GHR had a major meltdown just now. The IRN bulletin failed to trigger on the national DAB/online feed and we were treated to the news bed for 2 minutes.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything like it before.
LL
London Lite Founding member
what posted:
Forgive me if this is slightly off topic but GHR had a major meltdown just now. The IRN bulletin failed to trigger on the national DAB/online feed and we were treated to the news bed for 2 minutes.

Easily the best two minutes of Greatest Hits Radio.
JA
james-2001
what posted:

That happens on my local station quite frequently overnight when it's automated.
London Lite and what gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Yesterday was the first time I've listened to Greatest Hits in a while (I only tend to listen in the car and I've not been out much recently!) and they had a nice idea of trying to recreate a festival of live music using live recordings.

It wasn't only GHR but The Hits network and Country Hits too, each one with a 'stage' at the festival. In the bit I heard they were cross promoting the 'coverage' on the other stations. It wasn't that convincing but a nice different form the norm. It did mean that they ended up having clips of Queen on Live Aid introduced by someone who probably presented them in the day - Janice Long
WH
what
Yesterday was the first time I've listened to Greatest Hits in a while (I only tend to listen in the car and I've not been out much recently!) and they had a nice idea of trying to recreate a festival of live music using live recordings.

It wasn't only GHR but The Hits network and Country Hits too, each one with a 'stage' at the festival. In the bit I heard they were cross promoting the 'coverage' on the other stations. It wasn't that convincing but a nice different form the norm. It did mean that they ended up having clips of Queen on Live Aid introduced by someone who probably presented them in the day - Janice Long

The Hits network had Fleur East and Sarah-Jane Crawford.
IS
Inspector Sands
what posted:

The Hits network had Fleur East and Sarah-Jane Crawford.

I know Baylon Leonard was doing bits for Country Hits. Which was interesting as I'd not heard him since he was on with Danny Baker on BBC London years ago, and also i didn't know they had a country station.

It did make me wonder if they're thinking of any more Hits stations of the 'Hits' name ever takes off? Though I suppose they have a lot of other popular music genres covered by other brands
EM
Emily Moore

It also prevents amazing bits of radio like this:

[Danny Baker video]

I was at work (at another radio station!) with the office to myself that day, I remember not getting a lot of work done!

Newer posts