TV Home Forum

Davina and Rylan to front Big Brother show for E4

"Best Shows" to air this year marking 20 years of BB

FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
Didn’t they bring Nicki back at the end of the series?

For me the episode was the worst of the week so far as it showcased such horrible attitudes from the girls, the theft of the champagne, the attitude and treatment to another person for something that Suzie had to do, all that their actions did was to cement that she made the right decision with her nominations. It also featured a lot of people who seemed to be there to try to become famous. The house had some very interesting contestants that year but they were featured far less in the episode shown yesterday.
JO
Johnr
Crikey there was Teen Big Brother - The Experiment too , which was meant to be a 4Learning series but then *that* happened so they couldn't help but show it in a more prime time slot first!

It also makes me feel very old when remembering that was back in 2003, the teenagers will be 35ish now!
paul_hadley and Brekkie gave kudos
BU
buster London London
Regarding the Celeb series, 2001 was of course for Comic Relief, and then 2002 came a bit out of nowhere in an unusual Nov/Dec slot (I seem to recall some comment at the time that it felt a bit vulgar that the celebs were doing it for a fee rather than charity - how times change). C4 said at the time that they wouldn't be doing it again, presumably because it wasn't that great, and they wanted to concentrate on the mothership. But a lot can change in a couple of years and seeing the success ITV were having with I'm a Celebrity probably changed minds, and the idea of a few weeks of high ratings to kick off the year was quite tempting.
Soupnzi and Steve Williams gave kudos
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
BB7 was probably my favourite series, it really was great TV for me. The secret house twist, Aisleyne and Nikki both getting 'evicted' and brought back later, Nikki's tantrums, Grace being flat out panto villian, Glyn being so innocent, the mere presence of Suzie annoying some housemates... no wonder it was voted the most popular series.
FB
FBC London London
If anything, I’ll always fondly remember BB7 for being my favourite in terms of presentation.

rdobbie, paul_hadley and DeMarkay gave kudos
MU
MrUdagawa Tyne Tees London
Is there anyone here who has experience or knowledge of commissioning shows like Big Brother? I'm just wondering what about this compilation show would be deemed as 'successful' enough for a new main series to be commissioned. Viewing figures/audience shares over a certain percentage? Engagement on twitter? It's been the number one trending topic for 2 out of the 3 night's it's been on air this week.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Regarding the Celeb series, 2001 was of course for Comic Relief, and then 2002 came a bit out of nowhere in an unusual Nov/Dec slot (I seem to recall some comment at the time that it felt a bit vulgar that the celebs were doing it for a fee rather than charity - how times change). C4 said at the time that they wouldn't be doing it again, presumably because it wasn't that great, and they wanted to concentrate on the mothership. But a lot can change in a couple of years and seeing the success ITV were having with I'm a Celebrity probably changed minds, and the idea of a few weeks of high ratings to kick off the year was quite tempting.

CBB2 was still done for free I think and was in aid of three homeless charities I think. It was I'm Celebrity which had launched a few months earlier which began paying the celebs fees.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
TVMan, FBC and buster gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi London London
I recall Jon Tickle briefly being brought back into the house briefly in BB4, yet it seemed to reek of desperation when Nikki Grahame returned in BB7. I’m struggling to remember but at the time felt like BB had jumped the shark somewhat and broken one of the golden rules of the show....and I think there were OFCOM issues over people having paid to evict her, only to see her back.

Cameron Stout swapping with a housemate from Big Brother Africa was another dodgy moment, but that series had so many issues it wasn’t really that controversial.
GO
gottago London London
I recall Jon Tickle briefly being brought back into the house briefly in BB4, yet it seemed to reek of desperation when Nikki Grahame returned in BB7. I’m struggling to remember but at the time felt like BB had jumped the shark somewhat and broken one of the golden rules of the show....and I think there were OFCOM issues over people having paid to evict her, only to see her back.
Jon went back in and I think was then there till the end (?) but was unable to win the prize whereas Nikki was which the big issue. The whole second house thing to get an old housemate (well, clearly Nikki) back in did feel like a real act of desperation by the producers, though kind of understandable given how entertaining Nikki was and how many of the storylines were driven by her. I loved her and didn't really get why she was voted out, clearly she had her haters as she only came fifth.

It's amazing reading the Wiki of that series and seeing the sheer amount of housemates, twists, second houses, late arrivals etc etc but I guess that's what you get when a series is as long as 13 weeks. It reads a lot more of a mess than I remember it being.

Cameron Stout swapping with a housemate from Big Brother Africa was another dodgy moment, but that series had so many issues it wasn’t really that controversial.
I don't remember there be anything dodgy about it, what was the issue? I do remember finding it extremely exciting watching Cameron discover the secret room for the first time and watched all the Big Brother Africa episodes they showed that week, a real highlight in an otherwise boring series.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Anyone see at the end of tonight's E4 show, they ran their equivalent of an Action Line announcement over the credits, presumably because of Coolio's talk about hitting women. I don't recall seeing that at the end of the Dennis Rodman episode, unless I missed it?
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
It’s odd how the programmes seem to be presented by Rylan and Davina is there almost as an assistant. He’s the first face we see, he introduces the show and says “I’m here with Davina” and seems to be the one who throws us into and takes us out of breaks on every episode. Surely Davina is the person most viewers are interested in seeing talk about the show, not Rylan? And he’s taking very softly and slowly like he’s presenting a show on CBeebies for an audience who are a bit slow.
GO
gottago London London
Is there anyone here who has experience or knowledge of commissioning shows like Big Brother? I'm just wondering what about this compilation show would be deemed as 'successful' enough for a new main series to be commissioned. Viewing figures/audience shares over a certain percentage? Engagement on twitter? It's been the number one trending topic for 2 out of the 3 night's it's been on air this week.

There was a C4 commissioning day yesterday where they said they're looking for non-stripped (ie weekly), co-funded reality series at the moment and they're going to struggle to fully fund many big shows themselves in the near future. So essentially they'd have to team up with Netflix or similar for it to have a shot which I really don't think would happen.

I also don't think it would be great for C4 as a brand bringing back a show that ran its course on C4, then ran its course on C5 and isn't wanted by them anymore. C4 is meant to be the channel that innovates and always tries something new. The show itself still needs a few years off, it was a tired format and just because these cheap, nostalgic repeats are doing reasonably well for E4 doesn't mean a much bigger audience will come back for new audience.

But C4 is so all over the place at the moment they could well turn round tomorrow and announce a bumper recommission!

Newer posts