The Gallery

BBC Menus

Menus that can be used at the start of primetime/afternoon programming (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
iloveTV1
This is my first mock. I have designed some cross-show promo boards for BBC One, BBC Two, CBBC and CBeebies.

For CBBC and BBC One, I used images as well as text:

And for CBeebies and BBC Two, I have just used text:

Do let me know what you all think!
Last edited by iloveTV1 on 26 June 2020 10:15am - 5 times in total
JL
J. Lyric
...Did you not have Reith when you made this?
DB
dbl
By 'cross show promos' I believe you mean a menu. It's okay for a first mock, but it gives a PowerPointy vibe, due to the text and images not being aligned properly.
TV
iloveTV1
dbl posted:
By 'cross show promos' I believe you mean a menu. It's okay for a first mock, but it gives a PowerPointy vibe, due to the text and images not being aligned properly.

Yes, it is a menu, I couldn't think of the correct name for it.
TV
TVVT
It’s very dull. The font is terrible and super basic and the logo at the top looks terribly out of place.
Curto21, Ittr and TheRealThomanory gave kudos
RT
TheRealThomanory
Arial? Really? I've seen some bad mocks in my time on this website, but this is in my list of some of the worst mocks.

1/5
DW
DavidWhitfield
It would require a bit of work to get this up to the standard of something which could be used on air, but it is achievable.

It would help, as J. Lyric mentioned, to use the correct typeface if you're able to (in this case, BBC Reith).

Then I would look at the sizing. Think about the viewer - the text size is currently rather smaller than I'd suggest. If you take a look at the real BBC menus/on screen graphics in general and use that as a guide, you might find it easier.

I would think about the alignment too. Each slide is a bit different. You should be aiming for a bit more consistency and I would suggest creating one template and then editing the colours/logo etc thereafter to keep everything a bit tidier and more consistent with each other.

Also, a brief word to TheRealThomanory (above) - it's very easy to write a snippy comment on someone else's work, but having looked at your Gallery and found two mocks (both rated one star), perhaps you should consider the irony of the situation and think before you write unnecessarily harsh and entirely unhelpful feedback in future.
TV
iloveTV1
It would require a bit of work to get this up to the standard of something which could be used on air, but it is achievable.

It would help, as J. Lyric mentioned, to use the correct typeface if you're able to (in this case, BBC Reith).

Then I would look at the sizing. Think about the viewer - the text size is currently rather smaller than I'd suggest. If you take a look at the real BBC menus/on screen graphics in general and use that as a guide, you might find it easier.

I would think about the alignment too. Each slide is a bit different. You should be aiming for a bit more consistency and I would suggest creating one template and then editing the colours/logo etc thereafter to keep everything a bit tidier and more consistent with each other.

Also, a brief word to TheRealThomanory (above) - it's very easy to write a snippy comment on someone else's work, but having looked at your Gallery and found two mocks (both rated one star), perhaps you should consider the irony of the situation and think before you write unnecessarily harsh and entirely unhelpful feedback in future.

Thank you for the advice!
IT
Ittr
This isn't your first mock, you made 2 accounts under names along the lines of "iloveKorea" just prior the site redesign and are trying to troll users on this site for no apparent reason. You're just wasting your own time.

(I could be wrong and if I am, apologies)
Last edited by Ittr on 19 June 2020 3:34pm
EM
Emily Moore
Does Great Asian British Railway Journeys take the viewer to Bradford Interchange for a fab curry at the Kashmir?

One star. This is just some pictures and text badly arranged and inexplicably JPEG compressed like it's 2002.
TV
iloveTV1
Ittr posted:
This isn't your first mock, you made 2 accounts under names along the lines of "iloveKorea" just prior the site redesign and are trying to troll users on this site for no apparent reason. You're just wasting your own time.

(I could be wrong and if I am, apologies)

I’m sorry, I’m not aware of this user nor am I that user. I don’t know what would make you think that.

Furthermore, from the quick google search I carried out, which had the user ‘iloveKorea’ as joining on 10th June 2020. I joined in December 2019, so why on earth would I make another account when I already had one?
Last edited by iloveTV1 on 20 June 2020 9:45pm
BL
Blewbatt
It's a rough, very unfinished looking design to me. The very first thing you need to do is standardise the logo size, make the font bigger, and just make it overall look consistent for each slide. You're wasting a ton of space. Secondly, you need to make it more interesting. Add the Cbeebies bugs, replace the BBC Two teal with a curve ident still or something like that. And finally, do a google search for the BBC Reith font. It is easy to find, and it is free to download. I would like to see you repost these with those suggestions.

Newer posts