TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched

KE
kez19 STV North Reporting Scotland
Has Sky One changed its logo?, I know onscreen presentation its changed but i'm sure its logo on screen is still the same? (correct me if wrong), I know Sky Two has.
JL
J. Lyric
kez19 posted:
Has Sky One changed its logo?, I know onscreen presentation its changed but i'm sure its logo on screen is still the same? (correct me if wrong), I know Sky Two has.

Yes, Sky One did change. You can see the logo on their site.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-one
boredom_true
VA
valley
If its using the new Sky News logo is this a hint we may get the new logo drop at 9pm when this Documentary airs?

Nah. And the end slate of the documentary is the current logo.

KE
kez19 posted:

Yes, Sky One did change. You can see the logo on their site.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-one

Few weeks behind I guess! As that was one of the first things I spotted originally was onscreen presentation was altered but the logo was still the same, good they have caught up with the update...

At a guess I am wondering if Sky is just phasing the changes slowly than have done it all in one go (rather than at launch of Sky Nature/Docs)
VA
valley
kez19 posted:
At a guess I am wondering if Sky is just phasing the changes slowly than have done it all in one go (rather than at launch of Sky Nature/Docs)

I believe they planned on relaunching Sky News' channel graphics at the same time as the launch of the new Millbank set (which would've been in April/May), but obviously that has now been delayed; changing the entire graphics package on live channels such as Sky News and Sky Sports News is borderline impossible with home working.
KE
kez19 posted:

I believe they planned on relaunching Sky News' channel graphics at the same time as the launch of the new Millbank set (which would've been in April/May), but obviously that has now been delayed; changing the entire graphics package on live channels such as Sky News and Sky Sports News is borderline impossible with home working.

I could see that Smile, I know its a bit off topic but I have always wondered with this in regards to the MTV channels (3 of them have an update and the rest are still "off key") yet ever since the rebrand of 2 of their "music" channels the rest are behind, again you would think apply changes asap
MI
TheMike Central (East) East Midlands Today

The transponder hasn't got enough capacity for another HD channel unless bitrates for other channels are cut or a service is removed.

But if other services don't get cut back, given that all new Freesat boxes since 2012 support DVB-S2, it isn't a major problem if Pick SD went there as a temporary solution to allow the channel to use the UK spotbeam for the live football. In such a scenario, the current version of Pick could be encrypted and become free-to-view for users of Sky boxes with an active Sky or FSFS card.

Back in 2013, when Pick last showed live football (as part of a Sky spoiler when BT Sport launched), Pick on satellite carred a sport free schedule, while the action continued on the Freeview version.

Ten days on, and we finally have clarification:
- Pick HD has resulted in a number of other HD channels on Sky having their bitrates cut, as there was insufficient space on the transponder to do otherwise.*
- The original version of Pick has indeed been encrypted so it's only available on Sky.
- Old DVB-S only Freesat boxes, like those cheapo Goodmans Freesat boxes available during Digital Switchover, won't be able to get the football on Pick.

*edit: that's 9 HD channels on a 53.2Mbps transponder
Last edited by TheMike on 18 June 2020 6:58pm - 3 times in total
KE
kernow

The transponder hasn't got enough capacity for another HD channel unless bitrates for other channels are cut or a service is removed.

But if other services don't get cut back, given that all new Freesat boxes since 2012 support DVB-S2, it isn't a major problem if Pick SD went there as a temporary solution to allow the channel to use the UK spotbeam for the live football. In such a scenario, the current version of Pick could be encrypted and become free-to-view for users of Sky boxes with an active Sky or FSFS card.

Back in 2013, when Pick last showed live football (as part of a Sky spoiler when BT Sport launched), Pick on satellite carred a sport free schedule, while the action continued on the Freeview version.

Ten days on, and we finally have clarification:
- Pick HD has resulted in a number of other HD channels on Sky having their bitrates cut, as there was insufficient space on the transponder to do otherwise.*
- The original version of Pick has indeed been encrypted so it's only available on Sky.
- Old DVB-S only Freesat boxes, like those cheapo Goodmans Freesat boxes available during Digital Switchover, won't be able to get the football on Pick.

*edit: that's 9 HD channels on a 53.2Mbps transponder

Pick is still available on the Freesat EPG, without encryption.

I'm guessing this is the "Pick Alternate" channel, without the football.
PL
plymouthbloke1974 West Country (West) Spotlight
Correct. You’ll have no football on the SD version but football will still be on the HD channel.
DV
dvboy Central (West) Midlands Today
There's a whole other thread about the ins and outs of Pick HD and the alternate version.
Hello, good evening, and remain indoors.
MI
TheMike Central (East) East Midlands Today
dvboy posted:
There's a whole other thread about the ins and outs of Pick HD and the alternate version.

Discussion about Pick HD started here before that thread was started. As it wasn't split from this thread by the mods, we're in a situation where you can't press reply on a point originally raised here and post the reply in the new thread.
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Sure you can. Click quote in this thread, then cut and paste into the other one.

Newer posts