TV Home Forum

Davina and Rylan to front Big Brother show for E4

"Best Shows" to air this year marking 20 years of BB (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Do you mean the live feeds aired at 11? I don't remember actual episodes airing at that time.

No, the episodes aired at 11pm for the first few weeks - it was these episodes which got the show moved to 10pm.
JE
Jez Founding member
I enjoyed it, I never watched BB1 properly, only watched a few episodes when the Nick thing happened as everyone was talking about it, But I was a massive fan of BB2, BB3 and BB7 plus watched a few others. Never could take to the show on Channel 5 much and didn't like most of the celebrity versions either, preferred the civilian version.

The only part of the show I didn't like was Rylan presenting, he really irritates me. Super fan or not I just think Davina presenting would have been enough.
VM
VMPhil
I was impressed by how kind Mel was to Nick after the reveal, I'm not sure I would have been willing to talk to him at all after that.

I laughed when I saw this on a BBC News Online article I found on his Wiki page from the time:

Nick's future?
Arrow 50-1: New Big Breakfast host
Arrow 100-1: Replaces Martin Kemp in EastEnders
Arrow 100-1: Rejoins the Territorial Army
Arrow 3-1: Leaves the country
Source: Littlewoods
JA
james-2001
I admit I mostly gave up after BB3. BB4 was quite dull, and from BB5 onwards they started getting more and more eccentric people and more and more cruel twists. I actually found the celebrity versions more interesting watching as they were normal than the people on the regular BB by then, and just putting regular people together was what BB was about originally.
BR
Brekkie
Nick's future?
Arrow 50-1: New Big Breakfast host
Arrow 100-1: Replaces Martin Kemp in EastEnders
Arrow 100-1: Rejoins the Territorial Army
Arrow 3-1: Leaves the country
Source: Littlewoods

Well he lives in Australia now so I hope they paid out on that.
JO
Johnr
This was a fantastic trip down memory lane! I was 12 at the time and still clearly remember the continuity announcer announcing the 'specially extended' episode! (and sneakily having the TV on in my room to watch it in the pitch black whilst my parents thought I was fast asleep!)

I also didn't realize the first couple of series were filmed at Three Mill Studios, funnily enough they were also home to filming of The Million Pound Drop Live a decade later for Davina Very Happy

Emma and Dermot seemed to get into the period too with their seemingly 20 year old webcam picture quality!
DM
DeMarkay
It’s hard to believe that I started watching Big Brother in 2005, one day before I turned five years old. It launched on the 18th May 2005, and for the last fifteen years, I’ve been obsessed with this programme. If it wasn’t for Davina and Dermot, I wouldn’t be in the media industry.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
From a presentational point of view, I find it strange why they are broadcasting Channel 4's Best Ever Big Brother Shows from 2000-2010, yet they are using a Channel 5 style gold Big Brother eye logo?
DM
DeMarkay
From a presentational point of view, I find it strange why they are broadcasting Channel 4's Best Ever Big Brother Shows from 2000-2010, yet they are using a Channel 5 style gold Big Brother eye logo?

It’s the new international Big Brother logo introduced by Endemol before our version ended in 2018.
JO
Joe
…which is hugely better than the previous version.

JA
Jamesypoo
It did irk me that Rylan said they'd be showing the episode "in full, just as they were originally broadcast" to then jump straight into the programme without titles. I know we'd seen them silently in a frame, but still it was always part of the excitement for me.
BR
Brekkie
It’s hard to believe that I started watching Big Brother in 2005, one day before I turned five years old. It launched on the 18th May 2005, and for the last fifteen years, I’ve been obsessed with this programme. If it wasn’t for Davina and Dermot, I wouldn’t be in the media industry.

I really don't think Big Brother was suitable for a 5 year old, not in this country anyway. It's quite depressing watching the new Australian version with 21 year olds claiming to be the shows biggest fan when you realise they wouldn't have been old enough to remember the original incarnation which ended in 2008 there.

It did irk me that Rylan said they'd be showing the episode "in full, just as they were originally broadcast" to then jump straight into the programme without titles. I know we'd seen them silently in a frame, but still it was always part of the excitement for me.

Yes, I agree and the same with the break bumpers too (although extra breaks would have had to have been inserted). Crashing in and out just made it feel really edited. The presentaton was a really important part of the show too, so important it changed every year even throughout the C5 seasons too.

Newer posts