TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LN
LondonNewsBites
Here's one from 2000.

I don't really know if this has been uploaded before but...
IS
Inspector Sands
I can't work out how that came about, it looks like they were trying to fade up the subtitle but somehow also brought up the tape of links but inverted and super'd over it.

Some odd fault with the keyer maybe, or an odd config left from something previously, can't think what that would be.

But that inverted image of Ana Boulter is a bit scary
MarkT76, itvblocks and thegeek gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member
Would that have been TC9 doing the Subtitles DOG key? If so it's most probable that the VM decided to use a PGM/PST transition (with an incorrectly set up transition type like BGND+DSK1 with a DVE or similar on the PST row) to key the DSK over the gfx source, rather than doing it using the separate DSK button? (Either that or they had a very odd key configuration - but that would be less likely in a set-up that routinely keyed a graphics source with a DSK)
IS
Inspector Sands
If the links were pre-recorded (that's the VT Clock for the next one) then it was all coming from the DTA. That explains the quick taken of the next item to get rid of it. My memory had assumed that the links came from server but that's definately a tape cueing up. IIRC think they might have been deemed too faffy to ingest for one use... or they were run in parallel

Even on mornings when TC9 was manned the early links were often pre-recorded and those were done by NC1/2 before TC9 took over. This wasn't one of those days though as it was a Live and Kicking morning: https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/2000-12-02

Notice also that the VT Clock says Saturday 3rd December when it was the 2nd of December and of course the advent calender is for the 2nd,
DE
deejay
If it was from the DTA how did they get the presenter to do the specific apology VO? Surely they were live x TC9 and there was a vision mixing error?
VM
VMPhil
If it was from the DTA how did they get the presenter to do the specific apology VO? Surely they were live x TC9 and there was a vision mixing error?

That voiceover doesn’t sound like Ana to me, I thought it was the same continuity announcer that introduced CBBC with the BBC One ident at the start?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'd agree that it was the BBC One continuity announcer who did that v/o.

On a practical basis, how would adding that Subtitles super usually be done? Is it a matter of setting up an M/E bank with the same picture source and the super and mixing to that, or would the super be added as a downstream key over the main output?

If it's the former that might explain the initial error if the M/E bank had the wrong picture source selected, followed by a bout of finger trouble in trying to fix it?
itvblocks and Inspector Sands gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A fairly routine wobbly telecine inspired breakdown from HTV

welshkid, Si-Co and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

That voiceover doesn’t sound like Ana to me, I thought it was the same continuity announcer that introduced CBBC with the BBC One ident at the start?

Yes, that's not Ana, that's the announcer from the start of the clip
BE
benriggers

Very similar to my clip (the Folk Dance one). Curious question - In general (not this clip) would the prerecorded announcer on duty, do a breakdown announcement every day even if none of the programmes had a problem?
Last edited by benriggers on 14 June 2020 5:07pm - 2 times in total
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I can't see why they would, it's an extra layer of complexity to go wrong and to complicate playout in a breakdown. A generic announcement that's always in the same place is probably easier to deal with.

It's different for radio announcers. Radio 4 announcers each have an individual emergency playlist of trailers and apology announcements built in 30 second chunks. So they can do a live apology then go to that playlist and get on with fixing the problem.

From there, they can replace some of the generic announcements with live ones where they are available to do so.
IS
Inspector Sands
Very similar to my clip (the Folk Dance one). Curious question - In general (not this clip) would the prerecorded announcer on duty, do a breakdown announcement even if none of the programmes had a problem?

Eh? How would the announcer who's doing the pre-recording know that none of the programmes were going to have a problem?

Newer posts