The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WA
watchingtv
BBC seem to have some black side bars.
VA
valley
Rights issues I wonder? Reuters has the BBC feed but not sure why Sky would cut between ISO shots which as you say just looks messy as they are under direction of BBC.

Yeah, I noticed that Reuters were running it but didn't see the top of it so I didn't spot the restrictions slide at the top. So, I presume rights issues.
DE
derek500
Kay definitely an improvement on the various attempts they’ve tried since Eamonn went. I wonder if it’s been reflected in the ratings, which Sky is always incredibly secretive about.

Also I’d say losing Kay from the afternoon has made that part of the schedule sag.

Sky News' ratings are published by BARB and the public get to see the top 15 shows of the week. Haven't seen Burley's show or its predecessors there for ages. Eamonn featured quite heavily.

As for me, watched Sunrise from the beginning of Sky News with the likes of Penny Smith and Bob Friend, but since Burley started now listen to the radio. Pushing her political views on social media is going to far for a supposedly impartial broadcaster.
VA
valley
Haven't seen Burley's show or its predecessors there for ages. Eamonn featured quite heavily.

Primarily that's because the evening schedule does well - other than the occasional appearance of the later hours of weekend @Breakfast the only other morning programme which I see in the BARB top-15 figures is Sophy Ridge on Sunday.

Pushing her political views on social media is going to far for a supposedly impartial broadcaster.

I guess that depends on what you consider as "political views". I don't think she's ever said who she votes for...
NJ
news junkie
Bit of a random question, but does anyone know why Sky news thickened the rim around the screen in the glass box. I know it’s been a while since it was changed, but it’s always puzzled me. Apologies if it’s been asked before.

There’s examples here of what it was like at launch, the last pic in the gallery shows what it was changed to

https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/sky-news/
VA
valley
Bit of a random question, but does anyone know why Sky news thickened the rim around the screen in the glass box. I know it’s been a while since it was changed, but it’s always puzzled me. Apologies if it’s been asked before.

I believe the diffusion frame in front of the Glass Box Screen was improved at some point in January 2017, but don't quote me on it.

10 January 2017 with old border:

2 February 2017 with new border:
NJ
news junkie

I believe the diffusion frame in front of the Glass Box Screen was improved at some point in January 2017, but don't quote me on it.

Thank you, Valley! Excuse me ironically quoting you to reply haha
VA
valley
Thank you, Valley! Excuse me ironically quoting you to reply haha

Haha, knew that would happen! No problem.
VA
valley
Sky News' "8 Minutes and 46 Seconds" documentary preceeded by Anna Botting and the strap saying that the programme contains "strong language and distressing scenes" - the first time I've seen such a warning on the channel in a while.

I imagine Anna did it since Sky News does not have a continuity announcer who would've presumably done such a warning on Sky One?

Just noticed the strap covers up the burnt-in subtitles:*
Last edited by valley on 15 June 2020 9:16pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
8 Minutes and 46 Seconds is being shown on other Sky entertainment and factual channels without the graphics.

On Sky One, there was a gap between the CA announcing the show and the doc starting. I'm assuming the other channels are taking the playout from the Sky News gallery?
RK
Rkolsen
8 Minutes and 46 Seconds is being shown on other Sky entertainment and factual channels without the graphics.

On Sky One, there was a gap between the CA announcing the show and the doc starting. I'm assuming the other channels are taking the playout from the Sky News gallery?

Sky News' "8 Minutes and 46 Seconds" documentary preceeded by Anna Botting and the strap saying that the programme contains "strong language and distressing scenes" - the first time I've seen such a warning on the channel in a while.

I imagine Anna did it since Sky News does not have a continuity announcer who would've presumably done such a warning on Sky One?

Just noticed the strap covers up the burnt-in subtitles:*

Where can I find a link?

Edit : I found it:

Last edited by Rkolsen on 16 June 2020 7:32am
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Notice in another thread that the eventual new 'unboxed' Sky News logo was used in a promo for the George Floyd doc...

Looks a little shinier and it is notable that the word 'sky' is in white. Does that suggest that the logo may return to the bottom of the screen, maybe against a blue ticker? If anything I think we can assume that the rest of the bland background graphics will move away from being white to avoid half of the logo getting lost though. That can only be a good thing.

On the recent 'after the pandemic' series I noticed a blue background on the live split screens. If you skip to 26 minutes in the video below, you'll see what I mean. A definite improvement and a welcome return to the Sky News of old.

Newer posts