The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019

CM
cmthwtv West Country (East) Points West
The One hasn't needed rehearsals since 2008 as it's produced by the News Channel so can't see that happening.

It’s quite rolling as well... as far as I’m aware it isn’t presenter scripted unlike Five, Six and Ten. Might be wrong though

I'm sure the One is presenter scripted...not sure about the Five as on a couple of occasions I've seen the Afternoon Live presenter also do the Five straight after.

Probably right about the One.
Five is scripted depending on the presenter - I am aware Huw writes when he’s on and when Ben or Jane does it some parts sound different to usual. It does fascinate me - the ability to write something like the One or the Five when the news is very much on going is quite fascinating to me.
AS
AlexS Central (East) Midlands Today

It’s quite rolling as well... as far as I’m aware it isn’t presenter scripted unlike Five, Six and Ten. Might be wrong though

I'm sure the One is presenter scripted...not sure about the Five as on a couple of occasions I've seen the Afternoon Live presenter also do the Five straight after.

Probably right about the One.
Five is scripted depending on the presenter - I am aware Huw writes when he’s on and when Ben or Jane does it some parts sound different to usual. It does fascinate me - the ability to write something like the One or the Five when the news is very much on going is quite fascinating to me.

The question shouldn't be whether or not the Five has been historically presenter scripted or not, but rather whether anything will be lost if the 17:00 hour becomes a generic bulletin for which, considering the vast majority of what historically made the 5 special has now moved to Afternoon Live, the answer is almost certainly no. It would be better all round if Afternoon Live officially became the flagship output of the NC rather than the current situation in which afternoon live is clearly considered the more important output and gets nearly all of the major interviews and features on the channel but the 5 remains the flagship on paper.
CM
BBC News at Nine (which was - for a while and probably still is just generic BBC News on BBC One) is now appearing as being able to be watched on iPlayer, and, as BBC News at Nine.

I doubt it will stay on BBC One, but with VD gone and her showing competence in being able to present generic News Channel bulletins, I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes more of a show off program on the BBC.

^ adding onto this - worth mentioning that it appears in the EPG weeks before hand unlike the News Special. Then again - could be because the press conferences could be scrapped whenever the government feel necessary.
SW
Steve Williams
^ adding onto this - worth mentioning that it appears in the EPG weeks before hand unlike the News Special. Then again - could be because the press conferences could be scrapped whenever the government feel necessary.

I'm sorry, but please don't use this as evidence of any current or potential schedule changes to BBC News.

You noted that the 9am hour is now available on iPlayer (as Victoria Derbyshire used to be, but most other hours of the news channel are not). By being placed in a specific series, it is easier to apply consistent iPlayer availabililty rights every day, which would not have been the case if it remained billed as a generic hour of BBC News alongside numerous other hours which aren't made available. That is all.
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
AlexS posted:
It's obvious Victoria will stay on BBC One between 9-10am as a credible rival to Lorraine on ITV. Then Newsroom Live will start at 10am on BBC Two and run through to 1pm. That will reduce the number of faces in the morning from 3 to 2, and with afternoons likely to stay the same as they have during lockdown, will also reduce the number of faces in the afternoon from 3 to 2. That's where the savings will be made.

I slightly disagree. I can’t see 4pm-6pm carrying on from E as rehearsals for Six are valued still. I’m also aware that the Five is quite a high rater for the NC and I simply can’t see one of the NCs only analysis based programs being dropped, and it is the flagship show on the channel.

Not to mention the fact that I can’t see half the people who have done the 4-7 shift doing just NC work.

They’ve done a lot of work over the last few years rebranding and upgrading the channel so I can’t see it just returning to simple output.

When studio B comes back on board there is no reason why 16:00-18:00 couldn't all come from C if they wanted to retain rehearsal time for the 6. Even if the 5 has remained the news channels flagship on paper it is undoubtedly Afternoon Live that has had that role in practice for the past couple of years so it probably is time to reflect that on paper. Having the same presenter on the one and afternoon Live would in this case be beneficial in highlighting the channel and they could even merge the one into the first half hour of afternoon live it they wanted to highlight the channel further.

If they're going to use Studio C from 4pm then they seriously need a better backdrop than what they've been using since 2013. The skyline backdrop they use on World would be fab.
IT
Ittr
AlexS posted:

I slightly disagree. I can’t see 4pm-6pm carrying on from E as rehearsals for Six are valued still. I’m also aware that the Five is quite a high rater for the NC and I simply can’t see one of the NCs only analysis based programs being dropped, and it is the flagship show on the channel.

Not to mention the fact that I can’t see half the people who have done the 4-7 shift doing just NC work.

They’ve done a lot of work over the last few years rebranding and upgrading the channel so I can’t see it just returning to simple output.

When studio B comes back on board there is no reason why 16:00-18:00 couldn't all come from C if they wanted to retain rehearsal time for the 6. Even if the 5 has remained the news channels flagship on paper it is undoubtedly Afternoon Live that has had that role in practice for the past couple of years so it probably is time to reflect that on paper. Having the same presenter on the one and afternoon Live would in this case be beneficial in highlighting the channel and they could even merge the one into the first half hour of afternoon live it they wanted to highlight the channel further.

If they're going to use Studio C from 4pm then they seriously need a better backdrop than what they've been using since 2013. The skyline backdrop they use on World would be fab.

I always liked the London backdrop World uses and thought it was a shame when they decided not to use it on UK-centric broadcasts from C when it actually fits better here than the fairly ugly faux newsroom backdrop.
BR
Brekkie Recently warned Wales Wales Today
It's obvious Victoria will stay on BBC One between 9-10am as a credible rival to Lorraine on ITV. Then Newsroom Live will start at 10am on BBC Two and run through to 1pm. That will reduce the number of faces in the morning from 3 to 2, and with afternoons likely to stay the same as they have during lockdown, will also reduce the number of faces in the afternoon from 3 to 2. That's where the savings will be made.

I'd have thought Newsroom Live would move to 9am, and then Politics Live will take over at 11.30/12 and be simulcast on the news channel, which cuts the presenter count further.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today

I'd have thought Newsroom Live would move to 9am, and then Politics Live will take over at 11.30/12 and be simulcast on the news channel, which cuts the presenter count further.

That's a viable prediction, but the problem would be is if news is breaking which is not politics related.
CM
The Ten didn’t want to end tonight on the NC... had about 25 seconds of Sophie sat there pretending to operate the computer whilst the camera did its own thing and zoomed in.

Then it crashed into the World simulcast with no introduction.
AndrewPSSP, TVInfoSource and Ittr gave kudos
AS
AlexS Central (East) Midlands Today

That's a viable prediction, but the problem would be is if news is breaking which is not politics related.

I think the biggest sign that that is not going to happen is that Politics Live isn't even being simulcast on the NC at the minute.
JF
JF World News West Country (East) Points West
Wondering why Breakfast continued until 10am on News Channel when normally they end at 9am if BBC One cuts away. Though the back half was filled with a full edition of Coronavirus Reporters
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Wondering why Breakfast continued until 10am on News Channel when normally they end at 9am if BBC One cuts away. Though the back half was filled with a full edition of Coronavirus Reporters

Breakfast normally continues until 10am on Saturdays on BBC One.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer

Newer posts