The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
Last chance guys, just 4 and a half hours to let me know if you want the job. Only had 2 candidates so far, many more are welcome!

Guys,

Bit of an announcement. I will continue to do the presenter counts for the Six up to 1999, which hopefully I will have done in the next couple of days. But then I may have to let someone else count the Nine presenters for the 1990s (and any other decade you wish to do). It's not because I can't be bothered anymore (although I must warn, it is tiring!) it's just i will be returning to work in the next couple of weeks so won't have the time. The information I'm using is from the website Genome, which contains the original Radio Times listings so isn't always entirely accurate but is the closest information we will ever get. If anyone would like to continue with the counts after me please PM me by Friday 12th June at 9pm and if there's more than one entry i will draw a name out of a hat. If there's no entries the counts will sadly cease (although we can still share memories of old BBC News and any surprising pairings we manage to unearth).

Thanks

Why the deadline?

So people know when to enter by. I've given everyone 5 Days to have a chance to enter and given 2 reminders.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
[quote="Rolling News" pid="1238870"]
Last chance guys, just 4 and a half hours to let me know if you want the job. Only had 2 candidates so far, many more are welcome!

quote]
Why the deadline?

So people know when to enter by. I've given everyone 5 Days to have a chance to enter and given 2 reminders.

But surely anyone could do it without you, just curious
RN
Rolling News
[quote="MatthewF" pid="1238871"]

Then it gets messy if numerous people do it. Plus I've not counted 20 years of presenter appearances just for anyone to start doing it.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
[quote="Rolling News" pid="1238873"]

Then it gets messy if numerous people do it. Plus I've not counted 20 years of presenter appearances just for anyone to start doing it.

That makes sense. Second sentence implies ownership but regardless of the hard work you've done, you can't control who does it, they could start a new thread.
RN
Rolling News
Mccanmat will now continue with the counts. Good luck to him. He has also expressed interest in the 1980s which might interest some here.
MC
mccanmat
Mccanmat will now continue with the counts. Good luck to him. He has also expressed interest in the 1980s which might interest some here.

Thanks- your counts have been a good read so will try and do the best I can... will be working on it over the weekend to get some counts ready to publish up next week
MC
mccanmat
Starting off with an easy 9 O’Clock news year....

Peter Sissons 119
Michael Buerk 117
George Alagiah 13
Nicholas Witchell 2

George first appearance on Thursday 20th May
Rolling News and cmthwtv gave kudos
MC
mccanmat
Nine o’clock news 1998:

Michael Buerk 123
Peter Sissons 105
Nicholas Witchell 2
John Humphrys 2
Last edited by mccanmat on 13 June 2020 12:43am
MC
mccanmat
Nine O’Clock News 1997:

Peter Sissons 118
Michael Buerk 114
Nicholas Witchell 3
John Humphrys 2
Last edited by mccanmat on 13 June 2020 12:58am
MC
mccanmat
Nine O’Clock News 1996:

Michael Buerk 135
Peter Sissons 103
Nicholas Witchell 2
John Humphrys 2
MC
mccanmat
Nine O’Clock News 1995

Peter Sissons 123
Michael Buerk 121
Nicholas Witchell 2

Seems according to RT the 9 was definitely very regular with the same presenters most of the year...
MC
mccanmat
Nine O’Clock News 1994:

Peter Sissons 114
Michael Buerk 113
Martyn Lewis 9
John Humphrys 8
Nicholas Witchell 2

Newer posts