The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EX
excel99
When did Sue Thearle stop presenting on the news channel, before or after the NBH move, and did she ever present, albeit the sports news, from the virtual set?
RN
Rolling News
When did Sue Thearle stop presenting on the news channel, before or after the NBH move, and did she ever present, albeit the sports news, from the virtual set?

She joined Breakfast News in 1996 as a reporter but not sure when she started presenting. She stopped presenting on the News Channel and left the BBC in early 2013 just before the NBH move. I liked Sue, personally.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Another thought, Gavin Elser maybe? Just thinking if Sian did occasional bulletins in the Virtual Era, he could have done so as well. Same with any of the early News 24 presenters, such as Jane Hill or Maxine Mawhinney?
MA
Markyboy81
RDJ posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnz-kb7FZg

After seeing this rare video of Sian Williams in the Virtual Set, it’s got me thinking which presenters that have presented in the current set at NBH had presented before the 1999 revamp in the Virtual set.

I believe it to just be Sian (before she left), Huw and Fiona. Not sure on anyone else.

Would Sian therefore have presented the early evening bulletins on BBC1 and BBC2 that day?
GE
Gareth E
Also Soapy.

And countless others if you include BBC World. (Mike Embley et al).

If we're talking about presenters who have anchored from the main domestic studios in the virtual era and at NBH (i.e. Studio E), would Jon Sopel therefore be included? He had joined Global on World News before the NC moved to NBH, so has he ever actually anchored a programme from Studio E?

He has, of course, appeared in E in his capacity as North America Editor. As has Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell, who of course presented countless bulletins from the virtual studio in the 1990s.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of anyone else... this is the geekiest pub quiz question ever.
CM
cmthwtv
Also Soapy.

If we're talking about presenters who have anchored from the main domestic studios in the virtual era and at NBH (i.e. Studio E), would Jon Sopel therefore be included? He had joined Global on World News before the NC moved to NBH, so has he ever actually anchored a programme from Studio E?

He has, of course, appeared in E in his capacity as North America Editor. As has Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell, who of course presented countless bulletins from the virtual studio in the 1990s.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of anyone else... this is the geekiest pub quiz question ever.

Sopel did the One quite frequently in the pre-Reeta/Clive era when Jane and Simon were mainly on the NC and Sophie didn’t really present the Six and Ten that often. 2013/14 ish I believe.
RN
Rolling News
Also Soapy.

Sopel did the One quite frequently in the pre-Reeta/Clive era when Jane and Simon were mainly on the NC and Sophie didn’t really present the Six and Ten that often. 2013/14 ish I believe.

Yes. Here's the evidence:
Gareth E and cmthwtv gave kudos
GE
Gareth E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hwgDJqYno

I happily stand corrected!

When did Sara Coburn leave the BBC? Would she have done any domestic business bulletins from E after the NBH move?
RN
Rolling News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hwgDJqYno

I happily stand corrected!

When did Sara Coburn leave the BBC? Would she have done any domestic business bulletins from E after the NBH move?

The latest YouTube videos i can find of her are 2012 before the move. I can't recall her doing any biz bulletins in E.
SE
Seb
BIG MOIRA!! Love that clip. And what animation was that into the opening wide shot? Classy. Is it Studio N6 or TC7? (Or neither).

That animation was launched in 2006 when N6 was refreshed with the first barco wall set. The 2004 titles were tweaked and made glossier with the spinning BBC News headline ticker tape removed and that wipe at the end. The studio in the Moira clip is N6.

The next set of titles in 2007 kept the same wipe at the end which you can see in the Chris Lowe clip, also in N6. Seeing both has reminded me how much better the daytime backdrop looked compared to the evening one. I also feel the studio design looks very dated and dull 14 years on.
RN
Rolling News
Last chance guys, just 4 and a half hours to let me know if you want the job. Only had 2 candidates so far, many more are welcome!

Guys,

Bit of an announcement. I will continue to do the presenter counts for the Six up to 1999, which hopefully I will have done in the next couple of days. But then I may have to let someone else count the Nine presenters for the 1990s (and any other decade you wish to do). It's not because I can't be bothered anymore (although I must warn, it is tiring!) it's just i will be returning to work in the next couple of weeks so won't have the time. The information I'm using is from the website Genome, which contains the original Radio Times listings so isn't always entirely accurate but is the closest information we will ever get. If anyone would like to continue with the counts after me please PM me by Friday 12th June at 9pm and if there's more than one entry i will draw a name out of a hat. If there's no entries the counts will sadly cease (although we can still share memories of old BBC News and any surprising pairings we manage to unearth).

Thanks
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Last chance guys, just 4 and a half hours to let me know if you want the job. Only had 2 candidates so far, many more are welcome!

Guys,

Bit of an announcement. I will continue to do the presenter counts for the Six up to 1999, which hopefully I will have done in the next couple of days. But then I may have to let someone else count the Nine presenters for the 1990s (and any other decade you wish to do). It's not because I can't be bothered anymore (although I must warn, it is tiring!) it's just i will be returning to work in the next couple of weeks so won't have the time. The information I'm using is from the website Genome, which contains the original Radio Times listings so isn't always entirely accurate but is the closest information we will ever get. If anyone would like to continue with the counts after me please PM me by Friday 12th June at 9pm and if there's more than one entry i will draw a name out of a hat. If there's no entries the counts will sadly cease (although we can still share memories of old BBC News and any surprising pairings we manage to unearth).

Thanks

Why the deadline?

Newer posts