TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain in 2020

Split from Good Morning Britain

MA
markjuk Meridian (South) South Today
Piers has been a complete hypocrite in the historical statue debate.

Here he is in 2017 arguing AGAINST the removal of Nelson's Column (and other historical statues).

Forward to 2020 GMB, he is now seen arguing and ranting at those, that had the same arguments/POV as he did in 2017.
HJ
HJL Spotlight
Is it hypocritical to become more informed and change views over time? Pretty sure that's normal and one thing you cannot criticise a person of?
RH
richard h
They were very uninformed this morning. The main report failed to mention that the latest black man in America to be killed by a white police officer grabbed a taser and pointed it at police. Piers and Susanna then later in that half hour discussed the video and said it was all civilised then "something happened" and a "scuffle broke out" then he was shot- both failed to mention he grabbed a taser and as he ran away turned around and pointed it at the police. They were then told in their ear to which Susanna says he grabbed a taser apparently. They really should know the full story before going on air as the apparently bit is actually key to the reason why he was shot. Dangerous reporting in my view

No change to the format as some people had been speculating last week. No return of the newsreader but I think its the right decision. Its pretty stupid to have someone coming in for 30 mins. Piers also seems a lot more relaxed today and actually letting other people speak. I'm glad they have not gone back to that awful opening sequence too I much prefer the older version as it flows much nicer with the music and builds up a pace which the new version totally ruined. Hopefully they will keep it until the next revamp which will probably happen in September. They never stick to 1 look for long with the TOTH sequence

Wow the 7am TOTH happened 5 mins early today. much better than 20 mins late
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
I was never really a fan of GMB before lockdown, but I do like the 'split-screen' presentational style where they have Piers/Susannah/Dr H on at the same time. They just 'slide in' Dr H when he's needed.

This style also works well when they have DTL guests. So much better than the 'neck craning' on BBC Breakfast from the sofa towards the large screens. (A 'studio sofa' has also always made me think they just can't afford chairs)

I don't like Piers, but recently his ranting has made me laugh in the mornings. We all need to laugh more at the moment. Very Happy
RH
richard h
I was never really a fan of GMB before lockdown, but I do like the 'split-screen' presentational style where they have Piers/Susannah/Dr H on at the same time. They just 'slide in' Dr H when he's needed.

This style also works well when they have DTL guests. So much better than the 'neck craning' on BBC Breakfast from the sofa towards the large screens. (A 'studio sofa' has also always made me think they just can't afford chairs)

I don't like Piers, but recently his ranting has made me laugh in the mornings. We all need to laugh more at the moment. Very Happy

I also like the split screen how it slides contributors in and out

More generally I've always like the GMB presentation. When you are watching something for hundreds if not thousands of hours a year its important that its visually pleasing and the GMB style ticks that box, probably helped by the fact that the main guy in charge is a fan of tv presentation himself

I've never liked that they have a big white block on the right hand side though. its such a waste of screen estate and only gets used a couple of times a day. rather than squishing the text it should fill all the space available and only squish when the other graphic is put on in that space
Last edited by richard h on 15 June 2020 8:22am
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
I'm sorry I can't show an example as my capture stuff is offline, but what I've also just noticed is that the production staff must be spending time instructing contributors on how to place their webcams, so that everyone can appear as equidistant in the frame and at the same eye level.

It makes for much better transition when they switch to single frame shots, then back to multiple shots. It all looks very professional and polished, despite the sources they are using. I guess everyone is learning how to deal with the 'new way' of doing things.
DW
DavidWhitfield Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Interesting to see this.

Ratings-wise, ITV must be happy with how GMB is faring on the whole; imagine hearing that Daybreak was the programme with the highest audience share over the course of a full day back in the early 2010s!

(I would add for the avoidance of any doubt: BBC Breakfast are still way ahead. I'm not going down that route!)
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 17 June 2020 12:10pm
Guess who's big in the back time!
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Interesting to see this.

Ratings-wise, ITV must be happy with how GMB is faring on the whole; imagine hearing that Daybreak was the most watched programme on ITV for a full day back in the early 2010s!

(I would add for the avoidance of any doubt: BBC Breakfast are still way ahead. I'm not going down that route!)

I suppose that's the PR way of spinning how badly ITV rated during primetime yesterday, assuming what Piers claims is completely true.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
NG
noggin Founding member
Interesting definition of 'ratings'.

Piers failed to mention Breakfast got a 40.8% share yesterday I see.

GMB got 800k. ITV's top rated show - by the conventional definition of audience volume (i.e. the most people watching) - was the 1800 ITV Regional News at 3.5m, with ITV's second highest rated show the 1830 Evening News at 3.0m.

8 of the top 10 'top rated' shows yesterday were on BBC One :

6.1m/31.4% Salisbury Murders
5.3m/35.2% BBC 1830 regional news
4.7m/31.3% BBC News at Ten
4.6m/31.8% BBC News at Six
3.9m/25.6% The One Show
3.7m/23.0% EastEnders
3.5m/24.4% ITV 1800 regional news
3.4m/26.9% BBC 2230 regional news
3.0m/40.2% BBC News at One
3.0m/20.0% ITV Evening News at 1800
Last edited by noggin on 17 June 2020 11:45am - 3 times in total
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Audience shares are always higher for breakfast time, as you can see Breakfast was near enough BBC One's highest share programme and will be often.

Audiences are obviously less spread out at that time of day, in peak viewers have many more options.
JO
Jonwo
Audience shares are always higher for breakfast time, as you can see Breakfast was near enough BBC One's highest share programme and will be often.

Audiences are obviously less spread out at that time of day, in peak viewers have many more options.

I suspect Piers tweets the share because 0.8m on its own doesn’t look that impressive to the average person.
NG
noggin Founding member

Yes - Breakfast and The One O'Clock news both getting >40% is still a very strong performance.

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic