The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SO
Soupnzi
Kay definitely an improvement on the various attempts they’ve tried since Eamonn went. I wonder if it’s been reflected in the ratings, which Sky is always incredibly secretive about.

Also I’d say losing Kay from the afternoon has made that part of the schedule sag.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I could easily watch Kay in the afternoons, but not at breakfast.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Just came across this video on youtube...

Sorry but how beautiful is Sky News Centre here? I still can't help but feel the glass box is a massive downgrade and hope the new Westminster studio when it materialises gives us something to get excited about
BF
BFGArmy
Also have to say the decision to move Kay to Breakfast has been a masterstroke - over the last month or so I’ve seen loads of clips from it go viral.

Slightly depressing if this is now the benchmark for how successful the choice of journalist to front a news programme has been.

Kay's show though is still very much a Sky News programme but with moments that grab attention whereas GMB does seem to almost try to force viral moments.
It's just a lot more watchable than the SJM Sunrise era. Sunrise in that era was incredibly bland - it wasn't hard news, it was all just incredibly forgettable and did nothing to make you want to tune in. I'd struggle to remember any particular interview or segment from that Sunrise era and I'm not particularly sure who they were targetting.

Whereas with Kay the slot has a lot more energy, watchability and bite and that's naturally led to more moments that have got attention. For me of the 3 breakfast shows, if I tune into one it'd be Kay's show. It's got more bite than BBC Breakfast and isn't as OTT and outrageous as GMB.
TheTravelcard, Brekkie and Soupnzi gave kudos
VA
valley
Gillian Joseph is to host Sky News' special programme Race And Revolution: Is Change Going To Come? next Tuesday.
TheTravelcard, JamesWorldNews and London Lite gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews

paul_hadley, Gareth E and fusionlad gave kudos
VA
valley
Slightly different angle on the Millbank temporary set.

MO
Mouseboy33
I still can't help but feel the glass box is a massive downgrade

Thats because the Tesco News Centre is a massive downgrade. What a mistake by Sky.
VA
valley

Thats because the Tesco News Centre is a massive downgrade. What a mistake by Sky.

You really do hate it don’t you...
LL
London Lite Founding member

You really do hate it don’t you...

Mouseboy is sponsored by Tesco.
VA
valley
Sky just momentarily lost their feed of the scaled down Queen's Birthday Celebrations and cut to Alastair Bruce and then their ENG camera outside the Castle eventually before getting the parade feed back. Out of interest, it seems to be a mixture of some cameras which BBC One is also taking (the jib on the corner of the quadrangle and some of the box-lenses around the quadrangle) resulting in some crash zooms as the BBC One director directs their cameras!

Also it seems to be on a 1 minute delay based on the chimes of the clock marking 11am.

Edit: happened again at 11:07 - picture break-up and then black. Still have sound, though.
MA
mapperuo
Rights issues I wonder? Reuters has the BBC feed but not sure why Sky would cut between ISO shots which as you say just looks messy as they are under direction of BBC.

Newer posts