TV Forum

(October 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Pete posted:
Asa posted:
1st Jan? Sorry, you missed the cutoff Very Happy

I like your suggestion Rob, the first year of the site feels quite fitting. Presumably a number of those who registered in Jan 2003 were original members too, feel free to let me know if you're one of them and I'll dig out the registration date if I can.

And Billy, I’ve updated your date!

I always find it amazing that Metropol started in 2003. The Lounge, The Red Lounge, The Fight Thread and everything all happened in the first two years of the forum.

The thread I remember most from the old Lounge other than J*r*n Br**s (I'm sure that was pre-Metropol) was the toilet thread discussing the sheen on various toilets and thier effectiveness in moving all the sticky detritus post-flush after a Richard the Third.

T'internet just isn't like it used to be. Social media killed it - everyone's just permanently outraged now and can't string coherent thoughts together in messages longer than 140 characters. Long live TVF - it's the last bastion of what was good about the World Wide Web!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Asa posted:

I like your suggestion Rob, the first year of the site feels quite fitting. Presumably a number of those who registered in Jan 2003 were original members too, feel free to let me know if you're one of them and I'll dig out the registration date if I can.

I joined in November 2001, I think I was originally ‘stegranadaitv1’ (forgive me I was 14 then!) but I had been hovering over the Forum for a couple of months prior to that.

In those days we cared about netiquette, and lurking for a while to find out how a place works before posting was the done thing.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Asa posted:

I joined in November 2001, I think I was originally ‘stegranadaitv1’ (forgive me I was 14 then!) but I had been hovering over the Forum for a couple of months prior to that.

In those days we cared about netiquette, and lurking for a while to find out how a place works before posting was the done thing.

Some of us still do that now on new forums we find that we may like to contribute to.
Surprised that doesn't make any "internet classes" or school classes, as it's no different to table manners really in my view.

11 days later

JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Wierdly, I was thinking about J***n Br*ss on the drive into work this morning. (PS I am the only one in the office and have been alone here for 11 weeks now Sad )

And I suddenly remembered a very funny video someone did called "TV Forum Crisis" modelled after BBC News. Does anyone else remember that? Does any still have it?
GE
thegeek Founding member
Bail posted:
I'll never forget within the first few years of being a mod, banning the entire membership from the forum in accidentally putting a * in the wrong place on the ip ban filter...!

Which reminds me of this...

... bonus points to anyone who can remember the (non-TVF, but related) backstory behind that image

I've been in that apps room! (After the offending kit was removed and the area repurposed)
DV
dvboy
Not sure if something has changed here today but I just got a dialogue box saying TV Forum wants to know my location.
AS
Asa Admin
No, nothing has changed so it’s probably a rogue ad. It looks like there’s a way I can block 3rd parties from asking for certain things on this site, like camera/location access etc. so I’ll get that done.

In the meantime, just hit deny.
BA
bilky asko
Asa posted:
No, nothing has changed so it’s probably a rogue ad. It looks like there’s a way I can block 3rd parties from asking for certain things on this site, like camera/location access etc. so I’ll get that done.

In the meantime, just hit deny.

In the security headers - https://securityheaders.com is a good tool to check up on a site's security headers, if anyone on here with their own site wants to check.
JO
Josh
I presume the ITV Korea creator was a past member here, as usually seems to be the case?
AS
Asa Admin
Can't conclusively say but more than likely. They were using an anonymised VPN which doesn't really seem like the hallmark of someone genuinely wanting to show off their design. Korea isn't my first thought of territories ITV might want to move into either.
WH
whoiam989
Perhaps, it's the moment nationalism (or, what should I call it?) gone wrong?

Newer posts