TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
You beat me to it, wish I had the time to do such things

I wish I didn't.

But we're glad you did! A possible refinement might be to stick Thames audio on the left channel, and YTV's on the right?
CO
Coronavision

Fantastic upload that, slight shame that TV Ark didn't keep the video rolling a bit longer but fascinating to see the originating feed.

Probably just as well YouTube didn't exist in 1987, or YTV may have been hauled over the coals over their handling of the error. They were *very* slow to go back to the PPB at one point. Has to be said as well that not taking the network feed made them look less, not more professional, very untidy generally.

I wonder what their rationale for doing things that way was? Did they think Elsmore was umm-ing and ahh-ing a bit too much? If so I'm not sure Kyle brought anything better to proceedings...

PPB itself just looks to be the usual load of jingoistic rubbish we'd expect from that party, so no great loss Very Happy
Last edited by Coronavision on 10 June 2020 9:46am
LL
Larry the Loafer
You beat me to it, wish I had the time to do such things

I wish I didn't.

But we're glad you did! A possible refinement might be to stick Thames audio on the left channel, and YTV's on the right?

I did... Didn't I? Shocked They're coming out of the correct speakers on my phone. Curse this NICAM stereo trend, I hope it doesn't catch on.
RO
robertclark125

Fantastic upload that, slight shame that TV Ark didn't keep the video rolling a bit longer but fascinating to see the originating feed.

Probably just as well YouTube didn't exist in 1987, or YTV may have been hauled over the coals over their handling of the error. They were *very* slow to go back to the PPB at one point. Has to be said as well that not taking the network feed made them look less, not more professional, very untidy generally.

I wonder what their rationale for doing things that way was? Did they think Elsmore was umm-ing and ahh-ing a bit too much? If so I'm not sure Kyle brought anything better to proceedings...

PPB itself just looks to be the usual load of jingoistic rubbish we'd expect from that party, so no great loss Very Happy

I wondered if the reason Yorkshire went to their own PPB slide, was just in case Thames decided early on to go back to in vision, which they did. That way, YTV could carry on themselves and avoid any snatches of Thames pres. Like one person above, would be interesting to see how other regions dealt with it.
CO
Coronavision

I wondered if the reason Yorkshire went to their own PPB slide, was just in case Thames decided early on to go back to in vision, which they did. That way, YTV could carry on themselves and avoid any snatches of Thames pres. Like one person above, would be interesting to see how other regions dealt with it.

That would have been unprofessional of Thames, and I very much doubt they would have done that. They will have left that PPB slide up to network right up to the start of NaT I am sure, they wouldn't have left local continuity on the feed -- Thames/LWT provided the main network feed, you might have expected the like of TSW to possibly make such an error in the heat of the moment (not being used to regularly switching pres to network) but never Thames.
MA
Markymark

I wish I didn't.

I did... Didn't I? Shocked They're coming out of the correct speakers on my phone. Curse this NICAM stereo trend, I hope it doesn't catch on.

Ha, my apologies, I'll check my laptop audio settings, I was listening on ear buds, and had the same 'mixed mono' in each ear

Edit: I seem to be getting Thames on left, and Thames and YTV mixed together on right ?
Last edited by Markymark on 10 June 2020 1:24pm
MA
Markymark

Thames would have had two MEs on their pres mixer. One feeding only Crystal Palace, the other feeding the network, so there would have been no possibility of the Thames station clock, the CA studio camera, or the programme menu being sent to the network. The only conflict is Philip Elsmore's mic feed, the TC will have told him when he was not being fed to network, and therefore safe to speak locally
Last edited by Markymark on 10 June 2020 1:25pm
TJ
TedJrr

Who can blame them for being slow? Presumably, they'd look for a sense of stability before cutting back?

Does anyone know what the actual fault was?

Were Thames running the VT, a facilities house, or was the play-out sourced from the BBC?
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Thames would have had two MEs on their pres mixer. One feeding only Crystal Palace, the other feeding the network, so there would have been no possibility of the Thames station clock, the CA studio camera, or the programme menu being sent to the network. The only conflict is Philip Elsmore's mic feed, the TC will have told him when he was not being fed to network, and therefore safe to speak locally

I thought most companies (at least the big 5) had a separate MCR mixer handling what was being sent to network lines and a pres desk doing the local output?
IS
Inspector Sands

Does anyone know what the actual fault was?

Were Thames running the VT, a facilities house, or was the play-out sourced from the BBC?

See https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1237979#post-1237979 and
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1238023#post-1238023

tl:dr..... It was being played out from Thames VT area on a busy night. Machine was in local but switch was broken so it was actually still in remote and connected to an edit suite. So every time play was pressed it ran for a bit until the edit suite stopped it
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 10 June 2020 2:07pm
MA
Markymark

I thought most companies (at least the big 5) had a separate MCR mixer handling what was being sent to network lines and a pres desk doing the local output?

Yes most probably, but the principle of operation is exactly the same
IS
Inspector Sands

That's what I thought, would just a mixed effects bank be enough for audio too, or did the sound control provide an output to go with it?

My understanding was that the MCR could access any source that Pres could and then send that out, extra outputs of the pres mixer being one of those sources.

Newer posts