TV Home Forum

Little Britain removed from streaming platforms

Split from US Demonstrations | News Coverage

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Daily Mail are reporting Little Britain has been removed from Netflix, the iPlayer and Britbox because of its use of blackface characters. Same for Come Fly With Me.
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
Daily Mail are reporting Little Britain has been removed from Netflix, the iPlayer and Britbox because of its use of blackface characters. Same for Come Fly With Me.

Little Britain has gone from BritBox.

steve
steviegTVreturns
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The BBC have this on the matter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52983319
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Little Britain has been removed from the iPlayer, BritBox and Netflix due to concerns about blackface.

Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
BA
bilky asko Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

The bit about Come Fly With Me have never been available on iPlayer is obviously false, at the very least it will have been on there after broadcast.

Avatar Credit: © Independent Television News. Avatar Subject: Jonathan George Snow HonFRIBA
AN
another_beauty
Come fly with me is gone as well according to the net. This is akin to burning books. A warning if needed is sufficient before the program plays. In the case of Britbox, the whole purpose of its existence is to make available archive material. It should be aware that by taking this action, it is going to wind up a large number of its limited customers.

The BBC are doing themselves no favours either. All it does is alienate further the people that dislike the corporation, confirmation bias will be in full swing. Maybe the BBC is not concerned about this, but to me it just seems a bit silly. A person should make their own choice if they wish to watch the content, if it was being repeated on BBC One I would perhaps understand. What a strange world we now live in. Quick and radical decisions are taken without proper understanding of the long term consequences (assuming this is the shape of things to come). And let us be under no illusion, consequences there will be due to recent events.
NL
I've never seen a full episode of either Little Britain or Come Fly With Me but I have heard of the characters.

This is going to be a controversial view but I must emphasise I mean no disrespect The death of George Floyd was truly horrific.

Its a year ago since the Hong Kong riots and as we know the issue is once again in the news.

Little Britain has a character called "Ting Tong" who comes from the Far East. According to Wikipedia she is a Thai lady. Now my question is this:

Had there been riots and protests last year in this country over the chaos in Hong Kong would Little Britain have been removed for being offensive to Oriental people?
Last edited by Ne1L C on 9 June 2020 7:30pm
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
The protests we're seeing at the moment is regarding racial inequality and prejudice. The Hong Kong riots weren't.
NL
The protests we're seeing at the moment is regarding racial inequality and prejudice. The Hong Kong riots weren't.

Granted. The Hong Kong riots weren't about inequality but there was violence on the streets. I'll ask another question and again no disrespect intended:

What if a similar situation occurred in Hong Kong where after an incident a Chinese policeman was filmed standing on a Hong Kong Chinese man and that man was saying "I can't breathe" in Mandarin, Cantonese or even English and riots started in Hong Kong and the UK would Little Britain be pulled because of potential offence being caused to Oriental people?
RK
Rkolsen World News
Little Britain has been removed from the iPlayer, BritBox and Netflix due to concerns about blackface.

Okay it ran for four seasons between 2003 and 2008*, they still should have known it was bad. But removing the show completely? I never watched the show - is it a single story line throughout the season or a single story each episode like a sitcom? If it’s the latter couldn’t they remove the specific episodes?

*From an American perspective that length of time between series would lose audiences and make the true fans crazy.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Okay it ran for four seasons between 2003 and 2008*, they still should have known it was bad. But removing the show completely? I never watched the show - is it a single story line throughout the season or a single story each episode like a sitcom? If it’s the latter couldn’t they remove the specific episodes?

*From an American perspective that length of time between series would lose audiences and make the true fans crazy.

Its a sketch show. Certain sketches involve one of the two white actors playing a black character

Im guessing we won't be seeing the Little Britain spin off Come Fly with Me any time soon either
WH
what West Country (East) Points West
Come Fly with Me has already been removed from iPlayer, I think at some point last year?

Newer posts