The Gallery

ITV brand refresh

Some ideas to give the ITV channels and brands a refresh (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
pad
Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is doing okay in this mental year we're living through.

I was thinking the other day about how ITV's family logos could be updated to be more unique and colourful, while continuing the 'overlapping colour' essence of the 2013 company rebrand, and started coming up with a few ideas.

Here's where I ended up:

My thinking was that the main ITV corporate logo would be monochrome, but adopt the colour-matching system it had from 2013 for all on-air promo stuff on the actual ITV/ITV1 channel. So it would rarely seen in monochrome on screen but in the chameleon form it took on from 2013 until the recent change. I loved that look and would like to see it return, with updated graphics alongside it.

The channel logos for 2, 3 and 4 would all move to the 3-piece ITV logo introduced more recently to the main channel/corporate logo, with unique numerals which attempt to capture more of the 'identity' of each channel: a bulbous, youthful thick-set 2 for the youth-oriented channel, a more sophisticated overlapping style for 3, and a sharp style for the male/sports-oriented 4 (which is also inspired by the 2005 logo).

I've been yearning for ITV News to adopt a (predominantly navy) blue colour scheme for ages rather than the teal it has used for so long, so that's what I opted for, and the ITV Hub name is one I think was well-known and effective, so I brought it back with a muticoloured theme to encompass all the brands.

Would be interested to hear people's feedback and could keep developing them, perhaps even trying some designs for the channel/news graphics.

pad

Further work from future posts in this thread

Revision 1

Revision 2

Logos on light and dark backgrounds

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

Trailer 3:

All ITV trailers and logos

ITV2

ITV3

ITV4

Britain's Got Talent credits

Coronation Street credits

ITV News credits

Love Island credits

ITV ECP

ITV2 ECP

ITV3 ECP

ITV4 ECP
Last edited by pad on 16 June 2020 2:28pm - 24 times in total
JL
J. Lyric
Personally, I'd think the best thing to do would be to make sure the numbers and text fit well next to the main ITV logo, so that everything is comfortable alongside each other.

Style wise, that is.
LY
Lynetwork
Here are my specific thoughts:
- My favourite is 2 - the purple and ice blue goes really well together and feels somewhat ethereal. I wonder if it would be too similar to E4 or whether it would better suit ITVBe, but either way I like the logo a lot.
- I'm not sure about 3 - it looks a bit generic for a channel with such a particular niche. Maybe something more serif-y would work better?
- 4 has potential. It is very similar to the original ITV4 logo but I've always liked that logo anyway.
- I like the idea of News being in navy so I'd stick with that.
- The Hub logo I feel like I've seen before somewhere. I get what you've done with the overlapping colours in the style of the logo, so I understand why it's like that. Also I'd be curious to see if the logo looks better with the ITV logo the same size as the Hub text.

Overall you've got some good ideas - the base idea of matching the overlapping colour theme is a solid idea and you've stuck with it well, but I'd try and finesse those logos as much as possible. Then you could play around with how they'd look on screen and the different presentation elements. Good start - keep it up! Smile
TV
TVVT
We’ve had some great mocks recently, and this is one of them! The 2 is fitting for the channel it is serving and very youthful. ITV3’s warm colour scheme is “warm” and fits well with the warm-hearted drama programmes, With ITV4 you can definatly see the similarities to it’s first logo, with the colours and stripe elements like their 05-08 branding package, and personally like the idea of channels harking back to the past with their logos.
TV
TVVT
We’ve had some great mocks recently, and this is one of them! The 2 is fitting for the channel it is serving and very youthful. ITV3’s colour scheme is “warm” and fits well with the drama programmes IMO, With ITV4 you can 100% see the similarities to it’s first logo, with the colours and stripe elements like their 05-08 branding package, and I personally like the idea of channels harking back to the past looks with their logos.
TV
TVVT
Sorry for the triple post, the internet is awful with me currently.

We’ve had some great mocks recently, and this is one of them! The 2 is fitting for the channel it is serving and very youthful. ITV3’s colour scheme is “warm” and fits well with the drama programmes IMO, With ITV4 you can 100% see the similarities to it’s first logo, with the colours and stripe elements like their 05-08 branding package, and I personally like the idea of channels harking back to the past looks with their logos.
HD
HybridDaDink
What about ITVBe, CITV and LittleBe?
PA
pad
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Addressing the feedback, J. Lyric I have played with the sizing of the numerals next to the logo to be a bit more comfortable.

Lynetwork, I considered a serif but felt it looked too dated - I altered the shape of the 3 instead.

HybridDaDink, I think ITVBe should be merged into ITV2 anyway so won’t be doing that, but added a CITV idea.

A bit more development here. Changed the shape of the '3', thickened the '4' and added a CITV idea.

I think CITV and ITV Hub might look too similar though, so I would probably evolve CITV into something a bit different.
HD
HybridDaDink
Looking great so far, keep up the good work!
DW
DavidWhitfield
For me, I'd say the following:

- The main ITV channel logo is incredibly dull and lifeless for a channel which shows the variety of programming it does. Unless you're trying to sell a smutty book to mothers, shades of grey isn't the best idea.

- As commented above, the '2' is the best of the lot in my opinion. Nice vibrant colours, nice style.

- I'd personally connect the horizontal line in the H to BOTH vertical lines in the (otherwise nice) ITV Hub logo. Just looks off to me otherwise.

- ITV3 reminds me of the MasterCard logo. That's not really a positive or a negative. Just an observation.

Some decent ideas. Quite inventive, Keep playing around with this and I'm sure you'll end up with a quality set. Thumbs up
LG
Looking Glass
I'm liking this so far, I agree that the colours of ITV didn't necessarily need to be changed, I think the current logo is modern enough without being too lively or too muted. However, I see your version as a variation of that rather than a replacement. I think the greys could be better used for News which is just too much for me in terms of colour and presentation. News I think would benefit from more muted colours and not using the dot-to-dot style - however I do like the typography.

I think the dot-to-dot style you've got works on CITV - in fact I really enjoy it - however I'm not a fan of using it on Hub or News. Hub just feels too bright and more of a CITV spin-off than its own brand.

I agree with others, ITV2 looks really good. I'm a fan of their current mint colouring but I also like the purple and ice blue that you've introduced. I think that the 2 seems symbolic without overshadowing the ITV logo.

You've definitely improved ITV3 from your first version, I wasn't a fan of the shape of the 3 before. ITV3 suffers because it's essentially a channel of repeats so it's always made to feel dated, so I like that you've given it some life but the colours don't seem right to me - I can't visualise the presentation. I would say a gold palette would be good or something similar to the colouring of Encore - which is how I think they should treat ITV3.

I love ITV4, I do think the diagonal blackline could be thinned or shortened to stop it from looking too much like an 'A', however I like the colours but maybe that's because it's the colours of the current ITV?

Great start, I would like to see you tackle ITVBe (I saw you merged it but I do think it works better as two separate brands than old school 2), ITVSport/Weather etc. I would also love to see how these would work on-screen. I think my main thing is colouring, there's a very blue-heavy presentation so far, I might be old-fashioned but I would like to see each channel have a bit more of its own set scheme.
Last edited by Looking Glass on 8 June 2020 10:25pm
LY
Lynetwork
3 looks better already! Just altering the proportions has improved the logo quite a bit. I see you've done a bit of work on 4 too - it looks better as well, plus it'll work better in smaller sizes now. Since you're merging 2 and Be, I think your 2 logo fits even better now (and you can scrap my earlier critique of whether it would better suit Be) - so as for those logos, you've done a great job!

Your idea for CITV is nice too; I especially like the colour scheme which I think fits great for the audience. I'm not too sure about the all grey logo for the main channel though - it doesn't really represent the general vibe of the channel. If you want to go neutral for the main channel - which is a good idea and definitely worth exploring - maybe try colours like these:
Still neutral tones, just not full-on grey.

But overall you've got something great here. Keep it up!

Newer posts