The Gallery

A Collection of Ideas

Simply a little gathering of experiments. Constantly updating with new pieces. (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
J. Lyric
Greetings, forum people.

This is my first gallery post, and while it's not a proper "mock", per say - as you've probably read the title, it's a neat little compilation of ideas and experiments I've done with British TV.

Most of these are probably larceny, anyways. Very Happy

- - - -

Firstly, the Beeb section.

This little gem takes after a similar concept a friend of mine did.

Consisting of simply the BBC letters in Reith, but with a tri-colored triple "square-dot" in the bowl of the C, harking to the colors of the 1988 logo.

CBBC and CBeebies have been left alone, apart from adding the "new" Beeb logo underneath CBeebies.

It also includes an idea for renaming iPlayer - "BBC Play".

- - - -

This takes a less radical approach, and it can be best described as a combination of the original "Gill Sans" rebrand in 1997 - as that was the main idea here, and the previous images.

"BBC Play" makes an appearance as well...

- - - -

Now comes a real hum-dinger that I'm probably going to get strangled for Very Happy

[the image was grabbed off of my twitter, so apologies for lack of transparency and quality]

It was supposed to be inspired by that of france•tv's look - but then it went somewhere else.

- - - -

Here's a couple of endboard designs.

The idea being if BBC Three returned as a linear channel.... and if that happened, it probably wouldn't look like these, that's for sure.

- - - -

More twitter images, yippee...

This one was made a while back, actually.

This was actually an interesting experiment - and while it's most likely that the Beeb wouldn't do this - like, at all - it was still interesting to take on.

- - - -

Advisory - most of my ideas consist of American TV - so there might not be much here. Just a heads up.

- - - -

We now move into the Sky section.

To kick it off - something simple, yet curious.

What if Sky Movies kept their name and lived on to adopt the recent channel logo style?

- - - -

Aligning Pick and Challenge a bit more on the Sky side.

I realize this was done before by other mockers, but I wanted to give my own take on it.

- - - -

This one was merely done for fun - Imagine their older defunct channels, but with more recent looks.

- - - -

And now, an exercise in unity.

[apologies for low quality, varying image sizes and "black block" logo grabs in advance]

The idea was, as you can see, to unify the entirety of Sky's brands using the channel logo system.

- - - -

There's a story behind this one - I was looking through Google Images, one in particular cropped the Sky logo as seen here, and I thought - "Hey... Maybe that could be a thing."

And thus, the idea was made.

Utilizing the more recent "Headline" cut of the Sky typeface...

- - - -

This is the end of the Gallery post.

The whole initiative behind this was that I just wanted to show off a bunch of my ideas, and see what the people thought of them.

If the idea of a Gallery post showing off ideas and not a proper mock is frowned upon, just say so.

I hope you enjoyed.
BS
BiggieSMLZ
I saw some of those BBC ideas on DeviantArt. Some of them aren’t that bad, actually! Smile
JL
J. Lyric
Why, thank you.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
I like your BBC logo ideas, I think the ones which don't use the current logo are the better sets, although I like the BBC Three end board as well.

I like your Sky stuff as well, you've pretty much done what I was planning to do in my thread with adapting most if not all the logos under the same new style, although you've gone into a lot more detail with brands and products I wasn't planning on doing.

The cropped logo take is interesting, using Sky Headline reminds me of the old Sky Arts logo.
TV
TVVT
These are really well made. The Sky part is great and shows how good the brand can look when all together. The cropped logo idea is great too and reminds me of the typeface used by Sky channels in the early-mid 2000’s. The Headline font gives it an American feel and works well IMO (especially with Comedy)
The BBC part is amazing too, with the France TV style logos.
JL
J. Lyric
All of y'all, thanks Smile
JL
J. Lyric
Prepare yourselves, because there's more coming in...

...and they're older concepts.

So there might not be as much quality as the initial posts.

They might look bland as well. Apologies if so.

- - - -

Let's start with Channel 4.

Reference could be traced back to that of the "Stripes" look.

I liked to apply the "BBC Gill Sans" rule sometimes - "Don't try to inject all the personality into the logo."

- - - -

A simple promo endboard edit including the logo.

- - - -

At times, I like to go "out there" with my ideas - Do things others wouldn't dare do, that kind of thing.

This is one of them.

Re-arranging the classic 4 to make... this.

- - - -

"An 'out-there' idea for an 'out-there' TV network."

- - - -

Hey, more Beeb stuff.

This one's self explanatory - taking the 1997 rebrand and shooting it up to Reith.

It also includes a renaming of CBeebies to "BBC Baby" - but from what I've seen, that's not really a good idea here

- - - -

I called this one "Merge" - it's a combination of the 1988 and current logos.

Also includes the unfortunate "BBC Baby" name - Apologies. Sad

- - - -

These two aren't for any TV network - but they are from a certain TV pres site y'all may remember Wink

I just did these for fun.
MarkT76, Rory and lukeshep gave kudos
LY
Lynetwork
There's some really awesome stuff here! You've clearly got a great creative eye.

I like the Three endboards a lot. That first BBC logo looks great and I love the reference to the classic colour scheme - actually I think there's a lot of potential with that logo. The blocks-only logos (the 'humdinger' if you will) are quite cool too though I prefer the ones with the bigger text compared to the blocks, but with the fonts from the second all-black picture. The Merge look is also very intriguing and somehow quite modern too? I'd probably keep the CBeebies name and find a way to make a logo that goes with the rest, but overall I'm really impressed with the BBC stuff!

The Sky logos are fab. I've always liked the purple colour scheme for Movies so it's nice to see that in the new form. And Travel in mint green is just gorgeous to look at! The cropped logo is a great creative touch but I'm not sure about the accompanying font. That might just be a me problem so I wouldn't look into that too much Smile

I'd be excited to see what else you've made, even the American stuff could be interesting to look at. Good work!
AG
AxG

There's been a number of BBC rebrand mocks lately, but honestly I'd rather they did take a leaf out of the 1997 rebrand but with Reith; let the presentation do the work, although I'd stick to normal Reith for the logos.
JL
J. Lyric
That might just be a me problem so I wouldn't look into that too much Smile

I'm pretty sure I've had those kinds of moments before Smile

I'd be excited to see what else you've made, even the American stuff could be interesting to look at. Good work!

Well, if anything comes up, I'll be sure to share it. Wink

AxG posted:

There's been a number of BBC rebrand mocks lately, but honestly I'd rather they did take a leaf out of the 1997 rebrand but with Reith; let the presentation do the work, although I'd stick to normal Reith for the logos.

You think so?
JL
J. Lyric
I now bring you more stuff...

...of ITV nature.

- - - -

In case I didn't mention it before, all my work is the result of me being bored. This is one of those pieces.

I also tried making an endboard for it:

- - - -

...and then at one point, I decided to turn "Week 41" of ITV Creates into a look idea

Endboard as well:

- - - -

And now... something I did for **** and giggles, proclaiming that I went "Way Too Far"

JL
J. Lyric
Unrelated - from Sky Italy's TV guide

- - - -
I feel like this is getting ridiculous. Smile

I just want the channel logo font, that's all.

Plus the classic Sky fonts, but that's besides the point.

...though I have seen others ask for custom fonts looking through the "Requests" page - so if I tried to do that with this, I'd most likely fail miserably.

So, I won't.

- - - -

Instead, I give you more Beeb stuff.

"Two" ident ideas - made with two things: "Unsplash", and heavy use of paint.net.

I called this one "Striking". Simply put, stormy sky, lightning across the landscape, taking shape of the curve.

This one, "Light". The little "shine" on the curve was, as previously said, was paint.net trickery.

The familiar "greeny-blue" color of yore makes a cameo.

- - - -

As for something else...

Heavy inspiration from YLE TV2's logo circa 1993-2002 - so the "Bladed 2" makes a return.

- - - -

Opinions welcome.

Newer posts