TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
At the time, was BBC1 Scotland treated to Des and Jimmy Hill or did they have their own version?

And if so did BBC 1 Scotland show this version today, assuming they were not showing something completely different.

With some regional iPlayer fiddling I can confirm, if there was any doubt, that BBC One Scotland showed the same version today as in the rest of the UK.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
At the time, was BBC1 Scotland treated to Des and Jimmy Hill or did they have their own version?

I've spent some of the morning scouring the internet - it's hard to find a definitive answer without having listings from a Scottish newspaper or edition of the Radio Times, neither of which are readily available online, or indeed while reference libraries are closed.

This Usenet post makes reference to the cheap and cheerful nature of BBC Scotland's coverage of the tournament so far (but was posted the day before this match). Scotland's other group fixtures had been on the other side, and as one clashed with an England game it's likely STV did their own thing for both.

This article from FourFourTwo (written this year) makes it assumption that Alan Hansen was in the studio for a bit of balance for Scottish viewers, I just can't tell whether they'd have been able to watch!

I'm curious too to know how much of the day's schedule went ahead as billed, as earlier in the day the IRA had set off a massive bomb in Manchester city centre. Presumably it would have merited a few news reports through the day, rather than just the handful of 5 minute summaries you'd usually get on a Saturday.
Last edited by thegeek on 7 June 2020 10:22am
GE
Gareth E (previously bbcsport) UTV Newsline

I'm curious too to know how much of the day's schedule went ahead as billed, as earlier in the day the IRA had set off a massive bomb in Manchester city centre. Presumably it would have merited a few news reports through the day, rather than just the handful of 5 minute summaries you'd usually get on a Saturday.

At the very least, Grandstand may have started a few minutes late.
BBC SPORT. THE OLYMPIC BROADCASTER.
SW
Steve Williams
With some regional iPlayer fiddling I can confirm, if there was any doubt, that BBC One Scotland showed the same version today as in the rest of the UK.

Yes, but BBC Scotland will be showing it next weekend as part of their own Euro Rewind series, which presumably will feature their coverage. You'll note Rob Maclean interviewed Craig Brown on it.

What I do remember is that ITV had the other match that day, a 6pm kick-off, and Granada opted out of the start of the coverage and joined it as the players were walking onto the pitch, to make way for a extended regional news. The Beeb did a couple of newsflashes and that night they also dropped the planned episode of Bugs because it was considered inappropriate, showing it the following week instead.
UK
UKnews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGSbdbeQBvw

At the very least, Grandstand may have started a few minutes late.

It did - I've a feeling I was out that day, and my (timer set) recording of the game has the very last seconds of the newsflash, and the weather ahead of the start of Grandstand. It then cuts off the end of the preview at the start of Grandstand but catches a bit of the athletics before the build up to the match itself. Presumably I'd set the video based on the schedule in the Radio Times.

The Athletics coverage - the AAA Championships at Birmingham - ends with confusion after some sort of a problem - my recording misses exactly what but it seems like some sort of false start - in the 100m, with Darren Campbell having run the whole distance and David Coleman saying "surely they won't disqualify Linford Christie". Which, of course, is exactly what did happen in the Olympics a few weeks later. David Coleman says they'll be back in 20 minutes and "you won't miss anything" before handing over to Des at Wembley. Des then, in effect, says they won't be because they're buidling up to Scotland v England and the rest of the athletics will be shown after that.

Speaking of the bomb in Manchester that day - a former colleague of mine was a short distance from where the bomb went off (I think he may have been working a Saturday job). He was unhurt, but when he arrived home his Mum made him go to bed and rest rather than be allowed to watch the game - despite his protestations that he was fine and that he really wanted to see it!
Last edited by UKnews on 7 June 2020 12:41pm - 2 times in total
Night Thoughts and thegeek gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
I had imagined that Channel Four would have used the 1966 World Cup final film for this afternoon's replay. They're not, the first half is the BBC version, the second will be the ITV coverage.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
the second will be the ITV coverage.

Seems an odd way of doing it. Is there some technical or legal reason for that or are they just doing it as a point of interest? Presumably they’d go back to the BBC commentary for extra time, considering it features the most iconic line of commentary ever.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London

Yes, but BBC Scotland will be showing it next weekend as part of their own Euro Rewind series, which presumably will feature their coverage. You'll note Rob Maclean interviewed Craig Brown on it.

well that's a rather simpler answer to the question of whether they opted out or not in 96!
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Jon posted:

Seems an odd way of doing it. Is there some technical or legal reason for that or are they just doing it as a point of interest? Presumably they’d go back to the BBC commentary for extra time, considering it features the most iconic line of commentary ever.

Seems very strange. Think they'd have been better off playing it out as broadcast too rather than having Gabby and guests chip in - having rewatched a bit over the last few weeks do find although the idea of having contributions from the players of the time in place of the commentary on time is good on paper it doesn't work as well as just replaying it as it was first broadcast.

Have the BBC World Cup Classics shows gone back as far as this? And how much of the earlier games of 1966 were broadcast live on either BBC or ITV?
Last edited by Brekkie on 7 June 2020 2:52pm
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
RR
RR
Jon posted:

The retained BBC coverage is edited, and the second half is the most edited - the BBC's version runs for about 32 minutes - so I guess they wanted to show the fuller version - especially having said they will show the full game, which they haven't for the first half at least. The ATV version is complete, albeit in poorer quality as a telerecording.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
I’m looking forward to Brekkie claiming West Germany were robbed after the full time whistle.
TI
tightrope78 UTV Newsline
Have the BBC World Cup Classics shows gone back as far as this? And how much of the earlier games of 1966 were broadcast live on either BBC or ITV?

This excellent site, the best online for pre Premier League football coverage, gives a complete breakdown of the 1966 coverage on BBC & ITV:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/WorldCup66.html

Newer posts