TV Home Forum

What was your favorite regional ITV station growing up?

A question asking which ITV station you grew up watching. (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

In the 1980s, did any ILR (Independent Local Radio) stations share broadcasting facilities, i.e. buildings, with ITV companies?

Radio Aire is right next door to YTV

In the same way that Thames was next door to Capital Radio
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 7 June 2020 8:33am - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark
In the 1980s, did any ILR (Independent Local Radio) stations share broadcasting facilities, i.e. buildings, with ITV companies?

No, (unless you count some of the transmitter sites, but they were the IBA's side of things of course). As mentioned Thames and Capital, YTV and Aire were next door, largely co incidences. There was a bit of synergy between some companies, presenters from one company would pop up on the other. Tony Butler BRMB's prolific sports editor, had a spot on ATV Today, Fred Dinenage had a Sunday show on Ocean Sound, I'm sure there were many more examples....
CO
commseng
BRMB's first breakfast presenter was Kevin Morrison, who was also an ATV presenter.
The building they operated from was also part of the former Alpha Studios in Aston which were used by ATV and ABC until 1970.
MA
Markymark
BRMB's first breakfast presenter was Kevin Morrison, who was also an ATV presenter.
The building they operated from was also part of the former Alpha Studios in Aston which were used by ATV and ABC until 1970.

I remember Tony Butler having a rant on his ATV spot, and handing back to Bob Warman, who said, 'if you have any comments about Tony's views, please ring BRMB and not us at ATV !'
IS
Inspector Sands

No, (unless you count some of the transmitter sites, but they were the IBA's side of things of course). As mentioned Thames and Capital, YTV and Aire were next door, largely co incidences. There was a bit of synergy between some companies, presenters from one company would pop up on the other. Tony Butler BRMB's prolific sports editor, had a spot on ATV Today, Fred Dinenage had a Sunday show on Ocean Sound, I'm sure there were many more examples....

The presenter of TSWs early Saturday morning show was a popular presenter from Plymouth Sound. Of course Kenny Everett worked both at Capital and Thames, not sure of his programmes were done at Teddington though.

Not facilities as such but LBC provided LWTs news content for a while, when it was just a basic announcer read bulletin. There was a video posted somewhere on here of a trail for the first ITV Telethon and LBC had a presence on the London sections of that.

All 4 stations in London teamed up for Christmas Line every year
PH
Philheybrookbay

The presenter of TSWs early Saturday morning show was a popular presenter from Plymouth Sound. Of course Kenny Everett worked both at Capital and Thames, not sure of his programmes were done at Teddington though.

Not facilities as such but LBC provided LWTs news content for a while, when it was just a basic announcer read bulletin. There was a video posted somewhere on here of a trail for the first ITV Telethon and LBC had a presence on the London sections of that.

Ian Calvert you mean and Freeze Frame? Nice chap Ian having met him numerous times- he these days would or could have made it bigger in radio than he managed but he stayed local throughout
MA
Markymark

Ian Calvert you mean and Freeze Frame? Nice chap Ian having met him numerous times- he these days would or could have made it bigger in radio than he managed but he stayed local throughout

Yes, I remember Ian Calvert on Plymouth Sound/TSW. I'd often see him driving around the city in a rather pimped up Ford Capri ISTR 😎

I'm pretty sure Kenny Everett's Thames TV shows were recorded at Teddington. However there are publicity shots of him leaning against Link 110 cameras, which Thames only used at Euston. (Teddington used EMI 2001s). Probably though he had popped in from Capital next door to have those shots taken!
Inspector Sands and Philheybrookbay gave kudos
BL
bluecortina

Yes, I remember Ian Calvert on Plymouth Sound/TSW. I'd often see him driving around the city in a rather pimped up Ford Capri ISTR 😎

I'm pretty sure Kenny Everett's Thames TV shows were recorded at Teddington. However there are publicity shots of him leaning against Link 110 cameras, which Thames only used at Euston. (Teddington used EMI 2001s). Probably though he had popped in from Capital next door to have those shots taken!

Everett’s shows were recorded and edited at Teddington. Probably a convenient publicity shot as you suggest at Euston. (Of course he had previously worked for LWT).
RO
robertclark125
I asked earlier, in the 1980s and 1990s, which ITV company had the best break bumper? I'm aware not all of them did; STV and Border, in the 1980s, certainly didn't. I actually first saw a break bumper on holiday in Whitley Bay in 1991. So, Tyne Tees for me.
CO
commseng
TVS had one when they started, which surprised me - it was two TVS logos rotating on opposite directions on cylinders one above the other.
I suspect they were just copying what Southern had done into the adverts with their logo.
I don't remember it lasted long, to me it looked quite old fashioned.
MA
Markymark
TVS had one when they started, which surprised me - it was two TVS logos rotating on opposite directions on cylinders one above the other.
I suspect they were just copying what Southern had done into the adverts with their logo.
I don't remember it lasted long, to me it looked quite old fashioned.

No. The TVS logos on rotating cylinders were never used as a break bumper I think. It was a rarely used continuity ident, soon dropped.

TVS's break bumper was a film animation of a white TVS logo, splitting up into separate coloured TVS logos, that fly off in different directions. Right at the start of this You Tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxQIEOSG7o

Replaced later in the 80s I think by a silver chrome version, which I can't find an example of ?

Southern's was a quick zoom in of the Southern Star, Meridian's was the sun-face logo with flashing colours.

As discussed before, I think TVS were the only ITV company to insert a C4 break bumper into C4 breaks ?
CO
Coronavision
Until around 1988-9 I don't believe any company other than Southern/TVS used them did they (other than the film ones in the 60s/70s that went out of fashion) ?

Anglia brought one in during 88, then London and YTV in 89 for the ITV generic look, then Tyne Tees in 90. After that I don't think any of them did until the late 90s.

Newer posts