TV Home Forum

Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow

Pretty much a retake on Gameshow Marathon in my opinion. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
The main bit I didn’t like was the showcase price reveal, I couldn’t work out what it was supposed to show, and seemed more confusing than when the price used to just appear like in Brucie’s version.

I’m guessing not all contestants not having a go on the wheel was to stop that section being drawn out, with contestants getting 2 spins each it could have gone on for quite a while. With the range finder being cut out as well it seems despite being an hour, they wanted to reduce the time spent in that area so they could fit in an extra main game.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The games weren't true to the original either. I think Hole in One used to have a 2nd chance & Plinko used to have a gamble with Win / Lose at the bottom of the board.
JO
Jon
I think the US Plinko has different rules so maybe they followed those but it certainly lost the jeopardy.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The games weren't true to the original either. I think Hole in One used to have a 2nd chance & Plinko used to have a gamble with Win / Lose at the bottom of the board.

I don’t think those elements are compulsory though

I also couldn’t tell you what they were like in the original Crowther version, which they may have been looking at as well.

I’m always surprised how they managed to fit the intros, 3 pricing games, 3 main games including those optional extra bits, the wheel, the range finder, and the showcase into about 24 mins in the Brucie version!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I think in the Leslie Crowther version (which was 1 hour) there were 6 games & all 6 played the showcase. There was no wheel spin.
JO
Johnr

This was the main problem for me, perhaps the problem being I suspect most people including myself are probably more familiar with the Bruce's Price Is Right era considering Challenge show it pretty much all year round on loop!

The hour didn't help, it all just felt a bit too dragged out and flat, also John Sachs was fantastic on Gladiators back in the day but here not so much
BR
Brekkie
Wonder if they'll use the same games on the other filmed episodes. I bet Cliffhanger and Plinko have been on all the recent one off revivals.
LL
Larry the Loafer
It was quite nice to see John Sachs back, but I did find it odd that they went with him overn Price is Right alumni Peter Dickson, even though he was doing the SCS sponsors.

The Showcase was a mess IMO. I have no idea why they wouldn't let the contestant have a range of, well, ranges. And as mentioned, the reveal at the end was so convoluted.

I also felt not having the Win/Lose element in Plinko made the game feel pretty boring. The risk element from the Brucie era made it much more exciting, and kind of felt like they were really cheaping out.
JO
Josh
Wonder if they'll use the same games on the other filmed episodes. I bet Cliffhanger and Plinko have been on all the recent one off revivals.

Talk of the devil...
JO
Jon
Josh posted:

Talk of the devil...

Eh?
JO
Josh
Both Cliffhangers and Plinko were used, as Brekkie correctly surmised.
JO
Jon
Josh posted:
Both Cliffhangers and Plinko were used, as Brekkie correctly surmised.

Yes, but you usually use that expression when somebody has mentioned something just before it appears, not several hours after.

Newer posts