The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
Thanks Rob. This may have been posted previously but the scale of this set ‘BBC World Television News during the virtual era came from which studio? It appears to be substantial in regard to space.

IT
itsrobert Founding member
Thanks Rob. This may have been posted previously but the scale of this set ‘BBC World Television News during the virtual era came from which studio? It appears to be substantial in regard to space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3lmt31n48I

That's N1. World used N1 from October 1993 until autumn 1998.
IS
Inspector Sands
In normal circumstances (ie not when they are trying to keep the number of people on site to a minimum due to Coronavirus) there would always be somebody around who could fill in, I'm sure. Maybe not rostered explicitly as a backup newsreader (other than for OBs).

Even when the overnight newsreader fell asleep and missed the start of his shift, there was a producer who had some presenting experience who was able to jump into the chair.

Yes, I don't think Sophie Raworth was there specifically as a back up presenter - she appeared without any makeup

Agreed. She was in the building because she was doing the Six that evening. She's even quoted as saying it was all a bit of a shock.

I'll have to give up looking for that clip, I'm driving myself insane. Shocked

I knew I had this, and clipping it up to upload here should have been easy, but I've been driving myself insane trying to get it into a good format and clipped up correctly* so hope you like it

*it was on a long (30 minute) .vob file I'd saved from a DVD of bits and bobs I had collected and neither of my current editing software accepts them. I've never had much luck using VLC as a transcoder and no change today. The website I tried to convert it only had a 10 minute process timeout. The software I tried would only do the first 10 mins of the 30 minutes clip. In the end Mrs Sands came up with the solution - upload it to youtube and then download it then edit it.... she's a very clever woman
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 6 June 2020 4:10pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey

The virtual effect on the wide shot made it look much bigger than it was.
SW
Steve Williams
The One, Six, Nine and daytime summaries all relaunched on the same day with the new look on the 10th May 1999. I wager they were promoting the Six Because the change to that bulletin was the most significant.

That's right, because that was the first bulletin with regional headlines and with its 'family' of reporters and with stronger links to the regional news. But all the bulletins changed on the same day so the new titles and theme would have first appeared on the daytime summaries.

A few weeks earlier, when ITV News had their revamp, again the teatime news was the bulletin with the biggest changes, and the new titles and theme launched on the teatime bulletin, with all the previous bulletins that day, including the lunchtime news, keeping the old look.

Would anyone happen to know where I might find the clip of Sophie Raworth taking over mid bulletin due to Anna Ford losing her voice.

With "Geoff HOOOON!". I remember a few days later on Johnny Vaughan Tonight, Vaughan pretended to fall ill at the end of the programme, and Sophie Raworth ran in to say goodnight.

As mentioned, there wouldn't be a specific backup presenter but there would probably always be someone in the building called a presenter. One famous example was when Jan Leeming got mugged in TV Centre in 1987 just before the news, I know Christopher Morris (the old reporter as seen on the 1979 Election repeat, not the current reporter or indeed from The Day Today) stood in at the last minute, presumably he was there to voice a report.

I do remember reading that when Nicholas Witchell fell in one day in the late eighties, Richard Whitmore was in the building doing the daytime summaries and volunteered to do the Six O'Clock News. But they got Andrew Harvey in from home instead.
VM
VMPhil
One thing I have noticed from clips shown in various programmes is ITN have at least some of the 1959, 64 and 66 elections on videotape, whereas the BBC only have theirs as telerecordings.

One thing I have noticed from clips shown in various programmes is ITN have at least some of the 1959, 64 and 66 elections on videotape, whereas the BBC only have theirs as telerecordings.

Are you sure about 1959? I thought there were only two Ampex Quad VTRs in the UK in 59, the BBC had one, ATV had the other? It would have been hideously expensive to use one back then, and not much cheaper in the mid 60s?

Yes, they showed some clips from it in the ITV 2015 documentry mentioned a few posts above.

Is this the programme 'And Here Is the News'? Because I've been skimming through my recording of it and can only see a short clip of Election 64 in the section on Alastair Burnet, which looks a bit like it was taken from an online video unfortunately.
NE
Newsroom
Yes, I don't think Sophie Raworth was there specifically as a back up presenter - she appeared without any makeup

Agreed. She was in the building because she was doing the Six that evening. She's even quoted as saying it was all a bit of a shock.

I'll have to give up looking for that clip, I'm driving myself insane. Shocked

I knew I had this, and clipping it up to upload here should have been easy, but I've been driving myself insane trying to get it into a good format and clipped up correctly* so hope you like it

*it was on a long (30 minute) .vob file I'd saved from a DVD of bits and bobs I had collected and neither of my current editing software accepts them. I've never had much luck using VLC as a transcoder and no change today. The website I tried to convert it only had a 10 minute process timeout. The software I tried would only do the first 10 mins of the 30 minutes clip. In the end Mrs Sands came up with the solution - upload it to youtube and then download it then edit it.... she's a very clever woman

LEGEND! My madness has ceased! Thank you so much!
IS
Inspector Sands

LEGEND! My madness has ceased! Thank you so much!

Mine has just started Confused
JA
james-2001
Is this the programme 'And Here Is the News'? Because I've been skimming through my recording of it and can only see a short clip of Election 64 in the section on Alastair Burnet, which looks a bit like it was taken from an online video unfortunately.

No it wasn't that show. Sadly I can't remember what it was called right now either! I just remember it was shown late one night (after the news) in the run up to the 2015 general election, if someone has ITV listings from that time it would help!

BBC Parliament showed a very interesting programme hosted by Peter Snow looking back at the BBC's election coverage the same year. The ITV show had footage from both BBC and ITN election coverage.
VM
VMPhil

No it wasn't that show. Sadly I can't remember what it was called right now either! I just remember it was shown late one night (after the news) in the run up to the 2015 general election, if someone has ITV listings from that time it would help!

BBC Parliament showed a very interesting programme hosted by Peter Snow looking back at the BBC's election coverage the same year. The ITV show had footage from both BBC and ITN election coverage.

I've looked through my Creamguide email archive (which luckily goes back to January 2015) and it's presumably this programme from 6th May 2015?

Quote:
22.40 Unforgettable Election Moments - 60 Years On
You'd say one thing for the fragmented and confusing political scene over the last few years, it's certainly livened up election coverage, given how boring it all was back at the turn of the century. Here's another spin-off show which promises to be, yikes, "light-hearted" but we're sure it'll come up with some interesting clippage, from all channels and including some previously unseen footage from ITV's first ever election in 1959 when, as mentioned on Swing Time, they realised too late all the graphics were totally unreadable and the coverage appeared "grubby and meagre".

And this was the Peter Snow programme.
JA
james-2001
I've looked through my Creamguide email archive (which luckily goes back to January 2015) and it's presumably this programme from 6th May 2015?

Quote:
22.40 Unforgettable Election Moments - 60 Years On
You'd say one thing for the fragmented and confusing political scene over the last few years, it's certainly livened up election coverage, given how boring it all was back at the turn of the century. Here's another spin-off show which promises to be, yikes, "light-hearted" but we're sure it'll come up with some interesting clippage, from all channels and including some previously unseen footage from ITV's first ever election in 1959 when, as mentioned on Swing Time, they realised too late all the graphics were totally unreadable and the coverage appeared "grubby and meagre".

Yes, that sounds right! That description even mentions the footage from the 1959 election.

In fact a quick google finds the Digitalspy thread on the show which actually has me mentioning the 1959 footage was on videotape!

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2069810/unforgettable-election-moments-itv-10-40
VM
VMPhil
Amazingly, looking through my old recording archive, I actually recorded that programme and have a copy of it! I'll try and get some clippage up tomorrow.
bilky asko and james-2001 gave kudos

Newer posts