TV Home Forum

EastEnders

Kate Oates joins as Exec Producer

JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
In my view, I think the BBC has handled Eastenders planning for future episodes very badly compared to their rivals on ITV.

Emmerdale and Coronation Street seem to have a much better plan on getting up and running, working within the guidelines and ensuring they remain on air.

One gets the feeling the BBC doesn't mind Eastenders going off air for a bit, as they are not reliant on commercial advertising and sponsorship as Emmerdale and Coronation Street are, so Eastenders going off for a while would not hurt them financially.

It just seems a bit sloppy in planning, if their rivals on "the other channel" can keep their two soaps on air, why can't BBC One?

So you want them to rush into production and risk the health of cast and crew? What works for Emmerdale and Corrie may not be suitable for EastEnders.
Brekkie and Steve Williams gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi (previously soupnazi) London London
Obviously the health and safety rules are most important, and the BBC (or any organisation) could face lawsuits etc if the workplace isn’t ‘COVID secure’.

But I feel the BBC has helped make EE feel slightly irrelevant during the pandemic. The Mon/Tues scheduling isn’t as good as Tues/Thu. And not being on air for 3 months isn’t great I’m afraid, given how all the other soaps are coping (and ignoring the commercial pressures etc). I think we can all agree that soaps are part of people’s routines, so you remove them at your peril.

I’d have also thought the onus would have been on EE not to take a break given how utterly barren the Olympics-less schedules will be.
NG
noggin Founding member

Since they film four episodes over 14 days, plus normally 6+ weeks of editing, I struggle to see how episodes would resume before mid-August...

If they are aiming to get back to 4 episodes a week - then surely you have to multiply that by two ? Whilst each 4 episode block may take 14 days shooting + 6 weeks editing (i.e. 8 weeks from shooting first dialogue to TXing first episode), normally they TX 4 episodes a week, so there will be parallel production to achieve that?
VA
valley
If they are aiming to get back to 4 episodes a week - then surely you have to multiply that by two ? Whilst each 4 episode block may take 14 days shooting + 6 weeks editing (i.e. 8 weeks from shooting first dialogue to TXing first episode), normally they TX 4 episodes a week, so there will be parallel production to achieve that?

Well they normally have at least two teams shooting a week (maximum of three at Elstree on the lot / in the studios or on location; if shooting a two-hander on location there can be four teams as less crew required), I was referring to a single production team.

It depends on how quickly they would be willing to ramp back up, and if they were planning on location units filming as well. It’s harder to social distance when unloading a 5K on a wind-up from a truck than it is to wheel one round on set.

It’s worth pointing out that Elstree is undergoing a massive upgrade and that some filming earlier this year was disrupted by construction work (pushing at least two blocks of four episodes into multiple pick-up days), which hasn’t helped.
NG
noggin Founding member

Well they normally have at least two teams shooting a week (maximum of three at Elstree on the lot / in the studios or on location; if shooting a two-hander on location there can be four teams as less crew required), I was referring to a single production team.

It depends on how quickly they would be willing to ramp back up, and if they were planning on location units filming as well. It’s harder to social distance when unloading a 5K on a wind-up from a truck than it is to wheel one round on set.

It’s worth pointing out that Elstree is undergoing a massive upgrade and that some filming earlier this year was disrupted by construction work (pushing at least two blocks of four episodes into multiple pick-up days), which hasn’t helped.

Yes - I was just clarifying that the challenge to get back to normal output requires more work than just that of a team working on a single 4 episode block.

And yes - observing 2m social distancing when setting, striking and lighting non-saturated grid-lit or semi-fixed plot shows is going to be somewhere between challenging and impossible depending on the situations.

Location filming has major challenges in terms of transport, and other practical issues. Plus the Elstree site is not dedicated to EastEnders and is also still a building site, as you say.
AD
adamiow
Given that Emmerdale have been able to turn around episodes in a couple of weeks, I would imagine that EastEnders will be able to do the same. Even if they don't return until the end of the month, they should be able to produce some episodes to air from the start of August, so perhaps 6 weeks max of no episodes.
BU
buster London London
The episode that aired on Tuesday this week had the date of 24th April on screen at one point in a news article, which implies they were up to a planned tx of 1st May with the 4 eps remaining. So, given they downed tools on 18th March, they were about 6 weeks ahead. One would assume they don't spend the entire 6 weeks editing and could perhaps have a quicker turnaround for tx, but they may be using the summer to try and relaunch properly with 4 eps a week rather than get on air as quick as possible for commercial reasons as the northern ITV soaps are doing.
BA
bilky asko Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Also seems Albert Square is more of a rectangle.

It always has been, as is Fassett Square on which it is based (and which is even more not-actually-square than Albert Square).

Indeed, plenty of Squares aren't square-shaped - though my nearest Square is somewhere near square (it is curved at the south side to match up with another road), another, much older, square is actually a rather long and thin rectangle.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Surely Albert Square is circular? Smile

Write that down in your copybook now.
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
Surely Albert Square is circular? Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt0OiIyS-M

A prelude to Oneness?
Stay alert. Control the virus. Save lives.
AS
Ash101
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11786509/eastenders-scrap-storylines-reboot/

Interesting article. I think a “reboot” is probably the wrong term, as I can imagine the show will have to skip forward (we could be 3/4 months behind real time when episodes restart).
JB
JasonB London London
Does starting from scratch mean Den wakes up in 1985 and claiming everything that happened since has been a dream?
Have you washed your hands?
DJ Dave, Ben Shatliff and Custard56 gave kudos

Newer posts