The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HE
headliner101
Better late than never, but here are some old CNN bloopers in commemoration of its 40th anniversary. My question is are these rehearsals or the LIVE hot mic moments?

GE
thegeek Founding member
Due to all the news that's happening, I don't think there will even be a brief mention today that CNN is celebrating its ruby anniversary. Then again, what better way to show how far they have gone then by...reporting the news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqDopY5dMD8

For completeness, here's how they plan to sign off.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Did CNN have automated cameras way back in the 80s and 90s? I thought Martine Croxall got a rough deal with camera automation but its nothing compared to those misdemeanors seen in the clips above.

And, we learn today, that CNN probably had the weatherman with the best name of all time: Flip Spiceland. Beat that!
NE
Newsroom
CNN’s Early Start is not on air this morning at 4am Eastern, Atlanta are doing the extra hour with John Vause and Natalie Allen.

It seems strange however that Romans and Jarrett are due to host just one hour of Early Start at 5am Eastern.

Edit: New Day is on early so they’ve canned Early Start again.
Last edited by Newsroom on 3 June 2020 9:58am
BF
BFGArmy
That Cuomo and Lemon bit on that last blooper video - yikes. Talk about unprofessional - both behaving like schoolchildren in that clip and seemingly haven't got any better over the years. I'm all for a bit of lightheartedness but c'mon.

Also, any clue what on earth the show is at 2:18 in that same video where the cameraman takes a tumble? Seems an awfully dramatic opening - struggling to work out who the presenter is there too. It looks like Kate Boulduan but more like a clip with the Noughties and I'm not sure if she anchored then.
And the melons clip is always a good one. Very Happy
chinamug and headliner101 gave kudos
HE
headliner101
^^
It seemed to be the old American Morning. Yes, that is Kate Bouldan.
GI
ginnyfan
Quote:

Kim Brunhuber Joins CNN International in Atlanta

CNN International has hired Kim Brunhuber as an Atlanta-based anchor. He will anchor Europe morning editions of CNN Newsroom on Saturday and Sunday, as well as weekday news programs. The announcement was made today by Mike McCarthy, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CNN International.

Brunhuber joins CNN International from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), where he most recently served as the network’s senior correspondent and Los Angeles bureau chief. In that role he covered major U.S. and international news stories for the CBC’s television, radio and digital platforms, including the 2018 and 2016 Olympics, the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, and the death of Nelson Mandela. He reported on several mass shootings in the U.S. including Las Vegas, NV and San Bernardino and Thousand Oaks, CA. His coverage of the 2017 fires in Southern California won a 2018 National Press Club Award in the journalism contest’s breaking news-broadcast category.

“Kim is an exceptional journalist who has a deep understanding of the stories that impact CNN International viewers around the world,” McCarthy said. “Whether reporting on elections in Sierra Leone or terrorist attacks in Kabul, Kim brings an impressive and diverse range of journalistic skills that will benefit both our newsroom and our audience.”

Brunhuber said: “While on assignment or living abroad, I could always count on meeting up with one of my favorite travel companions: CNN International. Whether I was in a three-walled barbershop in Freetown, an expat hotel in Karachi, or a boisterous shebeen in Cape Town, the network was the umbilical cord keeping me connected to the rest of the world. I’m thrilled that now I’ll be on the other side of the desk. I can’t imagine a better platform for international storytelling nor a more crucial time in which those stories must be told.”

In his 13 years at CBC News, Brunhuber worked in both correspondent and anchor roles. Before moving to the network’s Los Angeles bureau in 2015, the Canadian was based in Toronto, presenting a number of CBC shows including the Saturday broadcast of The National and CBC News Network. He started his career in 1997 working at CTV in both Ottawa and Halifax, where he anchored, produced and reported on many breaking news stories including the crash of Swissair Flight 111.

Between his time at CTV and CBC, Brunhuber worked in Sierra Leone as a senior trainer for the media development organization, Journalists for Human Rights. While there he worked with local journalists on covering human rights issues such as child labor in the mining industry, female genital mutilation, and the country’s general election. He then spent the next several years working as a freelance correspondent and producer, filing news reports, live commentary and mini-documentaries from around the world, including countries such as Pakistan, Mali, Ghana and Afghanistan.

A published author, Brunhuber earned both a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in journalism from Carleton University. He is bilingual in French and fluent in Spanish.

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2020/06/03/kim-brunhuber-joins-cnn-international-in-atlanta/

Good to have this sort of rota/presenter news again. Will he be replacement for George Howell or will Michael join Natalie and he'll do Michael's slots?
BF
BFGArmy
Suspect there may be of a weekend rejig anyway later in the year as Lynda Kinkade has announced on her Instagram that she's pregnant and due later this year so if the CNNI schedule returns to its usual Friday/weekend schedule later in the year then somebody will need to cover her usual slots on those days.
HE
headliner101
If I may ask, are there any on-screen CNN personalities who have been with the network since the 80s? The ‘oldest’ I know of is Wolf but his time with CNN dates back only to 1990.
DV
dvboy
If I may ask, are there any on-screen CNN personalities who have been with the network since the 80s? The ‘oldest’ I know of is Wolf but his time with CNN dates back only to 1990.

Christiane Amanpour has been at CNN since 1983 although she did leave for ABC in 2010 only to return less than two years later.
BA
Batavia
dvboy posted:

Christiane Amanpour has been at CNN since 1983 although she did leave for ABC in 2010 only to return less than two years later.

Richard Roth is not on air much these days, but according to his CNN bio he is tied as the second longest serving employee. He celebrated his 40th anniversary with the network in April, so he was hired before CNN went on air:

Mouseboy33 and headliner101 gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
Suspect there may be of a weekend rejig anyway later in the year as Lynda Kinkade has announced on her Instagram that she's pregnant and due later this year so if the CNNI schedule returns to its usual Friday/weekend schedule later in the year then somebody will need to cover her usual slots on those days.

With everything that's happening plus the election coming up later this year, I doubt CNNI is returning to any sort of normality, especially not on weekends. The only CNNI shift that is permanent is overnight (Euro-mornings) so they need to have enough people in rotation for that.

Newer posts