Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Maybe not the 1998 relaunch, but I'm pretty sure it was there by 2001. Was definitely there by 2003.
TM
ToasterMan (previously BeanosOnToast) Granada North West Today
What I suspect to be the final incarnation of Look and Read from 2004 has reemerged, presented by Angelica Ball in... CBBC TC9! I assume these were first broadcast during Class TV on the CBBC Channel, these are some of the final broadcasts on BBC Two from late 2009:

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
What I suspect to be the final incarnation of Look and Read from 2004 has reemerged, presented by Angelica Ball in... CBBC TC9! I assume these were first broadcast during Class TV on the CBBC Channel, these are some of the final broadcasts on BBC Two from late 2009:

http://www.broadcastforschools.co.uk/site/Look_and_Read/Shadow_Play - first seen Spring 2004 on BBC Two, in particular 1st of March 2004.

Your first video makes mention of "continues next Tuesday", and the only time that series was aired on a Tuesday was in 2009, so that makes the air date 10-Nov-09.

Interesting that they decided to wrap it around CBBC presentation though.
JO
Josh
Was the latter of the two videos shown on the CBBC Channel? The SUBS tag suggests so but I can't be for certain as I can't remember Class TV being shown during that era. If so, was there any presentation?
Fan of the media industry, from the UK.
NJ
Josh posted:
Was the latter of the two videos shown on the CBBC Channel? The SUBS tag suggests so but I can't be for certain as I can't remember Class TV being shown during that era. If so, was there any presentation?

According to the link I posted above the story was shown on the CBBC Channel (although there is no CBBC DOG for some reason) , and Class TV was a thing until 2008, but the same Subtitle tag (as seen in the video) did appear on CBBC One (and Two) on its own. I can't remember off the top of my head when that Subtitle bug design was discontinued but it was still in use after 2007 and probably well after Class TV was dropped, as soon as the remit to do the strand was changed.

Presentation wise I believe Class TV was just a sting of programmes strung together in a continuous block without any other wrapping and a spot of occasional filler (one episode of a Look & Read story had gone walkies and it had to be rebuilt and for some reason I can't remember it only ran for half the length of the rest of the episodes). Class TV was the result of a requirement being put into the channel's remit on launch to show so many hours of schools programming, which was done in the cheapest way possible.
JO
Josh
I suppose the presentation could be compared to Bitesize Daily, no presentation whatsoever surrounding the programmes except for a "programme" menu (if you can even use the word programme) just to fill the time like in ye olde days.
NJ
Josh posted:
I suppose the presentation could be compared to Bitesize Daily, no presentation whatsoever surrounding the programmes except for a "programme" menu (if you can even use the word programme) just to fill the time like in ye olde days.

Yes but its not quite the same thing, Bitesize Daily goes out on the red button and the website, and the red button has a potted history of not being sure whether it wanted any "proper" presentation or not between events depending on what it was showing. It's not run in the same way as the regular channels are.
JO
Josh
True.
GH
Ghost Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
According to the link I posted above the story was shown on the CBBC Channel (although there is no CBBC DOG for some reason) , and Class TV was a thing until 2008, but the same Subtitle tag (as seen in the video) did appear on CBBC One (and Two) on its own.

When the 2007 rebrand occurred, they dropped the Class TV branding and presentation, including the DOG, simply having programmes start as soon as the previous one finished.
Can I have your attention please?
BH
BillyH Founding member London London
Presentation wise I believe Class TV was just a sting of programmes strung together in a continuous block without any other wrapping and a spot of occasional filler (one episode of a Look & Read story had gone walkies and it had to be rebuilt and for some reason I can't remember it only ran for half the length of the rest of the episodes). Class TV was the result of a requirement being put into the channel's remit on launch to show so many hours of schools programming, which was done in the cheapest way possible.

The Look & Read episode (from 1973) originally had the story segments on film and the middle “learning” segments on VT, but by 2003 the film for that episode was all that could be found, minus any opening or closing credits. Odd that just one episode of the serial was missing but there’s a few cases like that across various programmes of the time, and I don’t think any earlier Look & Reads than that exist anymore - there is of course The Boy From Space from 1971 that everyone remembers, but that I think only survives in its remade early 1980s form, using the original film bits but with new VT learning segments and a new opening scene with the (now older) original actors.

The credits were recreated for the 2003 remake of the missing episode, although the BBC logo used was the 88-97 slanted box one which was neither right for the time or the current one! Possibly it was one that was just easier to source in the limited time and budget available.
Member since 26 May 2001
RW
Robert Williams Founding member London London

Class TV did have continuity (and DOG), during the blobs era.

Blobs mk1 era (2002-05):

Blobs mk2 era (2005-07):

It was only at the time of the CBBC revamp in September 2007 that all presentation, including the DOG, was removed from Class TV, with each programme followed directly by the next. By this time it had been reduced to a 75 minute slot around lunchtime, and of course disappeared altogether the following spring.
MA
madmusician Central (West) Midlands Today
Of course, the Angelica Bell bits of Shadow Play aren't really 'continuity' although they are portrayed as such. They're part of the Look and Read programme as part of the classic 'bit in the middle' device within the story, reimagined for the 21st century. Clearly they decided to use the CBBC continuity style as a fake 'linking between programmes' idiom to shoehorn the 'bit in the middle' around the story. Not a bad choice, given how kids would have been used to that style of CBBC continuity in 2004.

Interesting BBC logo in the lower-third of the opening, too...!

It was only at the time of the CBBC revamp in September 2007 that all presentation, including the DOG, was removed from Class TV, with each programme followed directly by the next. By this time it had been reduced to a 75 minute slot around lunchtime, and of course disappeared altogether the following spring.

Indeed, that's visible at the end of the second video, which has clearly come from that era of Class TV, as it goes straight from the Look and Read endcap into the Watch titles.

Newer posts