TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Is there too many spoilers?

BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Maybe for me her aborted returns ruined the legacy but now I very much look back on Bet as a great caricature rather than a great character.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
Stuart, Spencer and Jez gave kudos
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
The trailer for her 2002 return though is entertaining (if not for the right reasons):

Camp as hell!
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
Maybe for me her aborted returns ruined the legacy but now I very much look back on Bet as a great caricature rather than a great character.

I’m hoping Julie would agree to one more return for the death of the character.

Corrie has not had a legendary character on-screen death for over 14 years (Mike Baldwin) and I always think it’s best to give solace to the viewers rather than a random offscreen death... that’s if it’s done right of course.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
RDJ posted:

Corrie has not had a legendary character on-screen death for over 14 years (Mike Baldwin)

Do Jack and Vera not count, then?
JE
Jez Founding member Wales Wales Today
Jack and Vera definitely count in my opinion. Id say they were more legendary than Mike Baldwin.

Id love to see Bet return for another short term visit, maybe she could finally sort out her feud with Rita, which I don't think they really managed to get over even when she returned in 2002.

I did love that scene where Bet picked up that photograph of Annie Walker that she kept all those years on display in the back room (but didn't take with her when she left I don't think!). Doris and Julie were simply wonderful together (and Betty Driver too) in those 70s/early 80s Rovers scenes.
JE
Jez Founding member Wales Wales Today
The trailer for her 2002 return though is entertaining (if not for the right reasons):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXK8-wfHBU

Camp as hell!

Wow that trailer was awful! Crazy to think how much Corrie changed from 1995 to 2002. Most of the legends apart from the Duckworths, Betty, Deirdre and the few we have left now had gone by 2002.
TI
tightrope78 UTV Newsline
I usually rate Bet Lynch as my all-time favourite soap character. She may have been a caricature at times but the character had such depth and we went on a real journey with her over 25 years. The awful 2002 return was offset slightly by the 2003 episodes which I felt were a much truer reflection of the character that we’d grown to love.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
RDJ posted:

That would make no sense though - I don't think she has any family on the street and I'm guessing only Rita and Ken were really around when she was (Gail and Sally too, but why would she see them). For Corrie as it is today referencing her death when the time is right would make more sense than Bet returning to die.

Would much rather see a cameo from Thelma Barlow and one last reunion of Rita and Mavis.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
SP
Spencer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
RDJ posted:

That would make no sense though - I don't think she has any family on the street and I'm guessing only Rita and Ken were really around when she was (Gail and Sally too, but why would she see them). For Corrie as it is today referencing her death when the time is right would make more sense than Bet returning to die.

Would much rather see a cameo from Thelma Barlow and one last reunion of Rita and Mavis.

It’d be lovely to see Mavis back, but Thelma is almost 91 now and I think she’s been quite critical of modern Corrie from what I can remember, so I doubt it’ll ever happen.

Agree with your earlier comment about Bet’s return. Her coming back as an over-acting panto dame did somewhat spoil her legacy. It’s been nice to see her in the classic episodes as a reminder of how good she was in the day. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for with classic characters coming back.

That said, I have been known to use the line, “Correct - give that girl a coconut” on occasions. Very Happy
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Bet's departure is probably one of the earliest big soap moments I can remember from first time round (apart from Phil & Grant beating each other up after Sharongate and Trevor Jordache under the patio).
CA
cal0906 Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I agree that Jack & Vera were definitely legends with on screen deaths in my opinion.

I’d even argue that Hayley Cropper was one.
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
RDJ posted:

Corrie has not had a legendary character on-screen death for over 14 years (Mike Baldwin)

Do Jack and Vera not count, then?

They definitely do count. But they slipped my mind that they both had on-screen deaths.

In any case, that’s still a decade since the last time.

And indeed talk will soon be headed to the upcoming 60th birthday in December. I would imagine the current situation may put any plans for this in jeopardy. I would imagine it will be slightly lesser in scale compared to previous years. No tram crash that’s for sure!
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006

Newer posts