TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
Its interesting how ITV & Granada pulled out entirely of this sort of thing and have now got back into it in a big way. It was always said at the time of course that the Granada Studios Tours went down hill because all people wanted to see was the Corrie set, and once they increased the number of episodes, the set wasn't available. They've obviously managed to find time now.

Although its probably all contracted out to Continuum attractions now, with zero hours casual staff, whereas back in the day Granada will have done it in house with full time staff.

I bet Corrie employees are loving the gradual reduction in the number of car parking spaces. The new site had loads, then many went when they built the Victoria Street extension, and then when they built a more real bit of Crimea Street behind the rovers, now this new building will take out even more. At this rate the cast will have to travel in on the tram!

The current tours are selected weekends only which works well. Granada Studios tours probably wouldn't have been sustainable to open just weekends. I remember the second time I went to the Granada tours October half term 1996 I think it was and they said the Corrie set was closed due to filming, but then said it would be open for an hour during lunch break. They made us wait by some gates by the fake Rovers return and we saw Gaynor Faye, Bill Roache and Tina Hobley coming off the set going for lunch,

On the subject of ITV3 episodes we are seeing Bet's last few episodes. A major loss for the show. Amazing to think how many changes there were over the next 2 years with Don, Derek, Mavis, Percy among others going and the arrivals of new characters like Natalie and the Battersby family. We have already seen the arrival or Gary and Judy Mallett, forgot they overlapped with Bet for a few episodes.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Coronation Street to resume filming as of next Tuesday.

Source:
- https://www.instagram.com/p/CA4tAUAjcVT/
- https://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/articles/coronation-street-to-recommence-filming?utm_source=organic_social&utm_medium=organic_social&utm_campaign=nrth_corrie_news_filming
SC
Si-Co
Apologies as I’m sure this has already been answered - in part at least - but when would we have been due to run out of Corrie episodes if they continued to TX 3 episodes a week? The above article mentions partial episodes already in the can - I assume the new material will compliment these scenes and they won’t have to show any contingency “lockdown-style” or “incomplete“ episodes?
JA
james-2001
I seem to remember reading they had enough to last until the start of July, which will be why did they didn't have to rush back into production and make those quick to make "lockdown" episodes that Emmerdale has.
SL
Shaun Linden
Si-Co posted:
Apologies as I’m sure this has already been answered - in part at least - but when would we have been due to run out of Corrie episodes if they continued to TX 3 episodes a week? The above article mentions partial episodes already in the can - I assume the new material will compliment these scenes and they won’t have to show any contingency “lockdown-style” or “incomplete“ episodes?

Neither soaps have said what is happening in terms of the new episodes. The lockdown Emmerdale episodes - are they standalone, or feature as if it follows on from the last episode filmed before lockdown? Also for Coronation Street, are we picking up as if it'll be late April/May, or are we filming as if its August, with the stories just continuing.
JA
JAS84
Emmerdale can use the lockdown to facilitate a two month timeskip, they've been using up the already recorded scenes.

Corrie's more awkward. Logically, it should skip from May to July - bear in mind Coronavirus will be mentioned and social distancing will be in force. There was talk in yesterday's Mirror about them using video chats to keep the elderly cast members in the show - they'd be at their real life homes. But how to do that without stopping active storylines (in particular, Geoff/Yasmeen and Leanne/Oliver) in their tracks?
SC
Si-Co
If they had enough episodes filmed (not neccesarily fully post produced) to last some 15-16 weeks when shown at half the usual pace, then they must have been filming about two months ahead of transmission. It used to be only three weeks, and if that were the case then we would definitely have ended up with a break of some sort.

There may be no need to specifically mention a time lapse if most ongoing stories can be continued. It may require some rewrites to existing scripts but without the need to throw everything out and start from scratch. I guess a lot depends on whether or not Covid-19 and lockdown exists “in-universe”.
JA
james-2001
I did wonder if the Geoff and Yasmeen story would be able to continue, though looking at it the actor who plays Geoff is 65 (though Geoff himself is meant to be 70), so should be able to return to filming. Not sure about any health conditions which might stop him though, would feel strange if the major storyline just stopped, or had to continue off screen because of this. Wouldn't be the first time characters have had to be written out in the middle of major storylines, though.
TI
This Is Granada
So the iconic moment that Bet leaves for good (well sort of...) is happening tomorrow, huge moment in the shows history.

Is it the 2:50pm or 3:20pm ep that we see her slam the keys down on the bar and then get in the taxi?

Is this the first time this iconic episode has aired since its original broadcast in October 1995? Granada Plus did not get this far into classic corrie?

I wonder if Julie will be sat at home watching?
JE
Jez Founding member
So the iconic moment that Bet leaves for good (well sort of...) is happening tomorrow, huge moment in the shows history.

Is it the 2:50pm or 3:20pm ep that we see her slam the keys down on the bar and then get in the taxi?

Is this the first time this iconic episode has aired since its original broadcast in October 1995? Granada Plus did not get this far into classic corrie?

It will be in tomorrows second episode that Bet makes her final appearance (apart from brief returns in 2002 and 2003 plus the spin off Brighton episodes of 1999). Fantastic and iconic scene of Bet and Rita arguing in the Kabin at the end of todays second episode.

Granada Plus only got a far as February 1994 so this is the first time these episodes have been repeated. I remember them well from the time. Scary that this was almost 25 years ago.

Quote:
]If they had enough episodes filmed (not neccesarily fully post produced) to last some 15-16 weeks when shown at half the usual pace, then they must have been filming about two months ahead of transmission. It used to be only three weeks, and if that were the case then we would definitely have ended up with a break of some sort.

There may be no need to specifically mention a time lapse if most ongoing stories can be continued. It may require some rewrites to existing scripts but without the need to throw everything out and start from scratch. I guess a lot depends on whether or not Covid-19 and lockdown exists “in-universe”.

Corrie used to film the episodes 'as live' up until the late 1980s, I could be wrong but possibly up until it went to 3 a week. They then filmed around 3 weeks ahead but as time has gone on it been more like 6 or sometimes even 8 weeks ahead, presumably as they have more episodes they like to have a decent amount in the can. Emmerdale must have been a lot less ahead with filming if they would have finished their episodes a month before Corrie.
Last edited by Jez on 2 June 2020 9:23am
TI
tightrope78
Jez posted:

It will be in tomorrows second episode that Bet makes her final appearance (apart from brief returns in 2002 and 2003 plus the spin off Brighton episodes of 1999). Fantastic and iconic scene of Bet and Rita arguing in the Kabin at the end of todays second episode.

“Nowt but a clapped-out chorus girl!”

“Pals! Pals! You don't know the meaning of the word!"

Iconic!!
JE
Jez Founding member
Jez posted:

“Nowt but a clapped-out chorus girl!”

“Pals! Pals! You don't know the meaning of the word!"

Iconic!!

Indeed. Bet was right of course if it wasn't for Reet's rich husbands Len and Ted she wouldn't have all that cash. Len left her the builders yard and business, number 7 and the old Kabin all of which she sold and opened the new Kabin. Plus Ted left her his house and quite a bit of cash!

'Dont you come the high and mighty with me, lady. You'd not be stood there with a bulging bank balance if you hadn't flamin married it'. Brilliant! Very Happy

Newer posts