TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Channel 5 up to their usual tricks again next....

No doubt next sundays doc is the previous three chopped up, new voiceover, a random new scene here and there, and the previous talking heads talking about the same thing over again as per the three other docos.

I really wish Ofcom would crack down on all this rebadging of previously aired programmes.

At least thet are not claiming it to be 'new'...

Sadly this is the not the case with the Paddington Station 24/7 which according to Virgins guide is Series 4 but what I’ve seen of it so far is everything from series 3 re edited into “seasons” i.e Spring, Summer, Autumn with the occasional new scene that wasn’t in the series 3 episodes

By all accounts it’s a mix of series 1 to 3 with a new voiceover?
JO
Josh
what posted:
Did Channel 5 or any of ViacomCBS’ UK channels participate?

Didn't notice anything when I was watching Police Interceptors.

Neither. They should though, as the problem still exists in this country.
LL
Larry the Loafer
That's a pretty unsettling thing to air on Nick Jr.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I really wish Ofcom would crack down on all this rebadging of previously aired programmes.

Which bit of the Broadcasting Code do you think they're breaching?
TI
This Is Granada

Which bit of the Broadcasting Code do you think they're breaching?

Well C5 aren't exactly upfront with all these constant renamed and repackaged repeats with it viewers, and only admit to it when called out by viewers emailing them.
If the radio times can be honest with its readers, and clearly inform when it's a revised repeat, then I don't see why C5 should try and pretend a revised repeat of previously aired footage, with a new voice over is a "new" series, i.e. the case of the Paddington railway doco.

As a viewer you could complain to ofcom that C5 are deliberately being misleading. On the recent railway doc, they claim it to be series 4, no where on the epg do they claim it to be previous aired footage, so the viewer tunes in, and the only point they know it's not 'new' as the epg claims is when they realise what they are watching is stuff they have seen before. Therfore you could argue that C5 have got eyeballs to that footage (and the ads around that footage) under false pretences?

C5 seems to be the only broadcaster who constantly renames and recycle footage over and over again...it's hardly industry practice at other broadcaster....infact how many non C5 shows can you name that have been chopped up and renamed and passed off as new series??
Last edited by This Is Granada on 2 June 2020 9:15am
HC
Hatton Cross
Agreed. Whilst there's no broadcasting code breach being committed, it really is in the best interests of the broadcaster to be upfront and honest about programme material with the viewer.

First run - New
Repeat - Repeat
Re-edited or partial new material - Revised Repeat.

It's not rocket science.
JO
Josh
Looks like MTV, VH1 and Comedy Central will be pausing output for the 8 minutes 46 seconds today.
TM
tmf9
Numerous C5 documentaries are now appearing on MTV with new titles. Tonight they are showing "Meghan: From Rags to Riches". It has previously been shown on C5 under at least two other names; "Meghan: How To Bag A Prince" and "Meghan: Where did it all go wrong?".

https://www.channel5.com/episode/part-2-8/
https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/a25fe215-b76d-4ee6-80e9-da6d92d18ff3
https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/30be4df8-46b3-49cc-bf1e-51d42aaee2bd
KE
kez19
I believe MTV also airs Rich Kids go Skint.... I'll guess Katie Price programming will be on there soon and the "in therapy" shows...

I know its a bit off topic but I just spotted that Comedy Central Extra are now repeating King of Queens/Everybody Loves Raymond, seems a bit of nostalgia of Comedy Central/Paramount Comedy era .... I wonder if Frasier will also turn up?

Just to add seems a bit strange of recent with Comedy Central starting to air shows they use to air are making a comeback .... I guess viewers are beyond bored of the Friendsfest inflicting on both their channels?
GH
Ghost
kez19 posted:
I know its a bit off topic but I just spotted that Comedy Central Extra are now repeating King of Queens/Everybody Loves Raymond, seems a bit of nostalgia of Comedy Central/Paramount Comedy era .... I wonder if Frasier will also turn up?

The main Comedy Central channel’s also going to be showing King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond from Monday.
JA
james-2001
It's like Channel 4 in the mornings...

Would be good to see more older shows though like in the Paramount days. I remember watching Rhoda on there in the early 00s, and Paramount Comedy 2 was effectively a channel of 70s and 80s ITV sitcoms.
KE
kez19
Ghost posted:
kez19 posted:

The main Comedy Central channel’s also going to be showing King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond from Monday.

I wonder if they'll be shown in HD? Not complaining but why then show these on Comedy Central too it just defeats the purpose for me! Why not just get rid of CC Extra?

Could there be a decline in its viewership so hence repeating other stuff they use to show? I should have said they done this with 2 1/2 Men as well ... been off the channel for a while appears on the 5 branded channels then it makes an appearance back on when it first aired!
Last edited by kez19 on 3 June 2020 2:01pm

Newer posts